Parable of the Barren Fig Tree

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’

The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’ ~~ Luke 13:6-9

My question is, what is the moral of the story? Does it pertain to Israel and Jesus’s ministry of three years? It seems like there should be more to the story. Thoughts?

Jan 12, 2019
A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’

The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’ ~~ Luke 13:6-9

My question is, what is the moral of the story? Does it pertain to Israel and Jesus’s ministry of three years? It seems like there should be more to the story. Thoughts?
Good question. For Mid Acts dispensationalists, we use this to form a doctrine that there was a one year extension period where the Gospel of the Kingdom continued to be preached exclusively to the Jews after Jesus's resurrection.

Jesus earthly ministry was 3 years. When Jesus was on the cross, he asked his father to forgive them for this act, because they know not what they do, the Father agreed to Jesus request. That one year expired roughly around the time Stephen was stoned.

This doctrine has several important implications that may make Christians uneasy:
  1. The Great Commission was only meant for Jews to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom to other Jews, it was never meant for Gentiles who believed.
  2. The Body of Christ could not have started in Acts 2, since Gentiles were not part of the Kingdom program. It only started with the saving of Paul after Stephen was stoned.
  3. For that one year extension, the Law of Moses continue to be binding on Jews even after the resurrection of Jesus.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Good question. For Mid Acts dispensationalists, we use this to form a doctrine that there was a one year extension period where the Gospel of the Kingdom continued to be preached exclusively to the Jews after Jesus's resurrection.

Jesus earthly ministry was 3 years. When Jesus was on the cross, he asked his father to forgive them for this act, because they know not what they do, the Father agreed to Jesus request. That one year expired roughly around the time Stephen was stoned.

This doctrine has several important implications that may make Christians uneasy:
  1. The Great Commission was only meant for Jews to preach the Gospel of the Kingdom to other Jews, it was never meant for Gentiles who believed.
  2. The Body of Christ could not have started in Acts 2, since Gentiles were not part of the Kingdom program. It only started with the saving of Paul after Stephen was stoned.
  3. For that one year extension, the Law of Moses continue to be binding on Jews even after the resurrection of Jesus.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your input. I’ll search this further.

Dec 12, 2013

Seems to be the case.....He alludes to this MANY times in his ministry which was to the los sheep of the house of Israel...

a. His disciples were sent to the cities of Israel

b. He sought Jerusalem to be gathered under his "wings" like a hen gathers chicks

c. He sent John the Baptist (straight as they come) and Jesus came eating and drinking...either way they would not dance

etc.......Even though there was a transition period between Jews and Gentiles being grafted back together as one, the ministry of Jesus and the apostles (other than Paul who was specifically appointed to the Gentiles) was directed at Israel.....

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
That one year expired roughly around the time Stephen was stoned.
The Seventy Weeks of Daniel ended roughly around the time Stephen was stoned. And, soon enough after that, Saul became Paul - and, the gospel went out to the Gentiles.

This is the 'transition' from Jews to Gentiles - from the 'times of the Jews' to the 'times of the Gentiles' - at the end of the 490 years which are/were the Seventy Weeks of Daniel.

This is bad doctrine.

1. Go read the Great Commission again and pay close attention to the words 'all nations'.

2. The Body of Christ began on the day Jesus was baptized.

3. The Law of Moses was no longer binding on anyone the moment Christ died on the cross and the temple veil was rent.

Jan 12, 2019
This is bad doctrine.

1. Go read the Great Commission again and pay close attention to the words 'all nations'.

3. The Law of Moses was no longer binding on anyone the moment Christ died on the cross and the temple veil was rent.
Have you not realized that Peter paid so much attention to "all nations" until the Holy Spirit had to show him a vision three times before he was willing to go to Cornelius? (Acts 11:1-12)

And he even paid so much attention that he had to remind him that it was unlawful for Jews to associate with a Gentile. (Acts 10:28)

I mean, if he understood "all nations", and he understood your point 3, like you claim you do, it will contradict how he reacted to Cornelius.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Have you not realized that Peter paid so much attention to "all nations" until the Holy Spirit had to show him a vision three times before he was willing to go to Cornelius?

And he even paid so much attention that he had to remind him that it was unlawful for Jews to associate with a Gentile.

I mean, if he understood "all nations", and he understood your point 3, like you claim you do, it will contradict how he reacted to Cornelius.
Yes, but just because Peter appeared to have it "laid out for him" how does that negate what was said?

Jan 12, 2019
Yes, but just because Peter appeared to have it "laid out for him" how does that negate what was said?
Peter and the others spent about 40 days with the resurrected Christ learning about the kingdom of God. (Acts 1:3)

I would trust his understanding of the Great Commission more than anyone of us third parties here.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Have you not realized that Peter paid so much attention to "all nations" until the Holy Spirit had to show him a vision three times before he was willing to go to Cornelius? (Acts 11:1-12)

And he even paid so much attention that he had to remind him that it was unlawful for Jews to associate with a Gentile. (Acts 10:28)

I believe you are misinterpreting the passages of scripture you have referenced.

Jan 12, 2019
I believe you are misinterpreting the passages of scripture you have referenced.
I am telling you what Peter said explicitly in scripture. I am not even interpreting what he was saying.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
This is bad doctrine.

1. The kingdom of heaven was still at hand and the gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world for a witness to all nations then the end will come. It could have come to a close 2,000 years ago if the nation of Israel would have accepted their Messiah. God was giving the Jews another chance after His resurrection in early Acts.

2. The body of Christ, the Church, began after the resurrection. The requirement to be a part of this body is to trust in the d,b,r of Jesus Christ for sins. No one did this before the cross.

3. Correct! That's when the Church began. Christ nailed it to the cross.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
Seems to be the case.....He alludes to this MANY times in his ministry which was to the los sheep of the house of Israel...

a. His disciples were sent to the cities of Israel

b. He sought Jerusalem to be gathered under his "wings" like a hen gathers chicks

c. He sent John the Baptist (straight as they come) and Jesus came eating and drinking...either way they would not dance

etc.......Even though there was a transition period between Jews and Gentiles being grafted back together as one, the ministry of Jesus and the apostles (other than Paul who was specifically appointed to the Gentiles) was directed at Israel.....
Good analysis bro. I used the hen analogy yesterday in your not by works thread. It’s awesome seeing Scripture alive and embraced in various threads.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Is not believing in the d,b,r for sins the requirement to be a part of the body of Christ, the Church? Paul says yes.
For me the Body of Christ is the body of human believers who believe Jesus and trust in the Atonement Jesus secured on the cross for their salvation..

Those people did not appear until the Day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came down and enterd into the Apostles.. So for me that was the start of the Body of Christ..

Melach

Mar 28, 2019

if the body of Christ only started with saving of st.paul what body were people joining in acts 2? and what about st.peter who went to preach to cornelius a gentile, what body did he join?

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
unlawful according to who though? jewish customs yes. but i dont see it in the bible old testament anywhere. im happy to be proven wrong tho

Jan 12, 2019
unlawful according to who though? jewish customs yes. but i dont see it in the bible old testament anywhere. im happy to be proven wrong tho
Peter himself said it. That is enough evidence for me. I don't try to teach a Jew what is contained in the Law of Moses.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Those people did not appear until the Day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit came down and enterd into the Apostles.. So for me that was the start of the Body of Christ..
Pentecost was about the empowering of the Body, not the coming-into-existence of the Body.