Passive-aggressive praying

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Should Christians pray passive-aggressively?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Yes, but it depends on who is listening

• No, not in front of other people

• I don't know

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2020
How often have you seen someone, who is praying, use their pretense of talking to God as a cover to passive-aggressively judge and antagonize others under the guise of proclaiming benediction?

Can prayer be weaponized to tear others down and/or manipulate our social standing to other Christians, with a feeling of moral immunity, because they're allegedly speaking their truth to God?

Please vote and/or discuss your thoughts on this. Please post any and all relevant scripture.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
I don't know about passive aggressive praying ---but I do know there is protocol for having your prayers heard and answered by God in scripture ----

If we just think we can pray any old way we want to and God is there for us ----I believe we are being deceived --

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Yeah, I grow weary of lessons for the people disguised as prayers.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
God is spirit and God can have no part of what is of sin. The sin we accept in our lives serve to separate us from God. We can get answers to our prayers for God to give me something better by facing and conquering our demons than hours of prayer for God to give me something of the flesh, even our health.

In the 60's a college made a test of three groups of 15 people each, testing orthodox prayer, prayer using a prayer study, and psychology to solve a serious problem in their lives. The orthodox prayers made matters worse by simply repeating their problem to the Lord. The prayer students spent their time correcting their sins, especially their resentments of others. They had wonderful, amazing results.

We can ask God to be part of another's life, but we cannot order God about what he is to do for that person.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
How often have you seen someone, who is praying, use their pretense of talking to God as a cover to passive-aggressively judge and antagonize others under the guise of proclaiming benediction?

Can prayer be weaponized to tear others down and/or manipulate our social standing to other Christians, with a feeling of moral immunity, because they're allegedly speaking their truth to God?

Please vote and/or discuss your thoughts on this. Please post any and all relevant scripture.
I've never witnessed this. It doesn't sound right.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

If I understand you correctly, you’re addressing the practice of praying out loud, but speaking words of correction during the prayer, to be heard by the intended correctee?

I’ve heard parents do this, and I’ve heard pastors do this. It’s manipulative at best. Both parents and pastors need to learn effective ways to communicate concerns and corrections.

Mar 4, 2020
I don't know about passive aggressive praying ---but I do know there is protocol for having your prayers heard and answered by God in scripture ----

If we just think we can pray any old way we want to and God is there for us ----I believe we are being deceived --
Fair enough. What protocol should people follow when they're "praying without ceasing?" (1 Thess. 5:17)

Mar 4, 2020
God is spirit and God can have no part of what is of sin. The sin we accept in our lives serve to separate us from God. We can get answers to our prayers for God to give me something better by facing and conquering our demons than hours of prayer for God to give me something of the flesh, even our health.

In the 60's a college made a test of three groups of 15 people each, testing orthodox prayer, prayer using a prayer study, and psychology to solve a serious problem in their lives. The orthodox prayers made matters worse by simply repeating their problem to the Lord. The prayer students spent their time correcting their sins, especially their resentments of others. They had wonderful, amazing results.

We can ask God to be part of another's life, but we cannot order God about what he is to do for that person.
That's my experience too and I agree with what you said. There isn't exactly a verse for that, but some things I believe we can only learn through a relationship with our Father in Heaven.

Mar 4, 2020
If I understand you correctly, you’re addressing the practice of praying out loud, but speaking words of correction during the prayer, to be heard by the intended correctee?

I’ve heard parents do this, and I’ve heard pastors do this. It’s manipulative at best. Both parents and pastors need to learn effective ways to communicate concerns and corrections.
Yes I agree. Effective communication is definitely the solution. I don't think belittling people in prayer is effective. I think everyone sees it when this happens, but didn't have a name for it yet.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Praying
Fair enough. What protocol should people follow when they're "praying without ceasing?" (1 Thess. 5:17)
All Praying requires the same protocol-that is given in Scripture ---

Question for you ?------ how do you interpret praying without ceasing --

T

TheIndianGirl

Yes I have heard this type of praying, oftentimes it has a political twist or used as a means to pressure someone into doing something.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'd love to hear a congregant respond in "prayer" with, "Lord, teach this fool how to communicate privately and directly with people instead of publicly berating them in this sham of a prayer."

Mar 4, 2020
Praying

All Praying requires the same protocol-that is given in Scripture ---

Question for you ?------ how do you interpret praying without ceasing --
I think it means exactly what it says, but it's talking about praying with our spirit. I don't see it as meaning to always be bowed in prayer.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
I think it means exactly what it says, but it's talking about praying with our spirit. I don't see it as meaning to always be bowed in prayer.

So you spend every minute of every day bowed and praying in the spirit ---WOW ---good for you ---

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
That's my experience too and I agree with what you said. There isn't exactly a verse for that, but some things I believe we can only learn through a relationship with our Father in Heaven.
In my experience I find most prayers from human hearts are give me prayers, asking God to give them something, most often something for their fleshly life.

When the Lord taught us to pray he gave the Lord's Prayer as an example. That prayer has praise, asking for His will to be done, and asking forgiveness of sin as we promise to forgive others. It also asks for our daily bread. We learn from other scriptures that to the Lord, daily bread isn't just food for our bodies, it includes food for our souls.

When Christ gave us the Lord's prayer, he used the standing everyday prayer of the Jews, condensing it. Here is the original of the line asking for daily bread: "He sustains the living with loving kindness, resurrects the dead with great mercy, supports the falling, heals the sick, releases the bound, and fulfills His trust to those who sleep in the dust. Who is like You, mighty One! And who can be compared to You, King, who brings death and restores life, and causes deliverance to spring forth!"

You can see that the Lord wants to give us more than our food for our stomach, but spiritual food.

Mar 4, 2020
So you spend every minute of every day bowed and praying in the spirit ---WOW ---good for you ---
We're just discussing the verse. I didn't actually say what I do. Maybe I am always praying in my spirit, or maybe I am always trusting that even when I don't know what to pray for that the Holy Spirit is interceding for me? (Romans 8:26)

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
We're just discussing the verse. I didn't actually say what I do. Maybe I am always praying in my spirit, or maybe I am always trusting that even when don't know what to pray for that the Holy Spirit is interceding for me? (Romans 8:26)
My view
I say --I think maybe you really don't understand what praying without ceasing means -----your picking one verse and trying to discuss it with no knowledge of the real understanding of it ------

This Scripture is not talking individual people ----it is actually is speaking about the Church in a Church Setting ----1 Thessalonians 5 ----

Final instructions and blessing

12 Brothers and sisters, we ask you to respect those who are working with you, leading you, and instructing you. 13 Think of them highly with love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are disorderly. Comfort the discouraged. Help the weak. Be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure no one repays a wrong with a wrong, but always pursue the good for each other and everyone else.
16 Rejoice always.
17 Pray continually.
18 Give thanks in every situation because this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Don’t suppress the Spirit. 20 Don’t brush off Spirit-inspired messages, 21 but examine everything carefully and hang on to what is good. 22 Avoid every kind of evil. 23 Now, may the God of peace himself cause you to be completely dedicated to him; and may your spirit, soul, and body be kept intact and blameless at our Lord Jesus Christ’s coming.

I say --So Runningman ----this is how view verse 17 ----------- Paul is not saying to be continually bowed talking continually to God but is rather speaking of having an attitude of God consciousness and God Surrender that we live every waking moment knowing that God is with us and He is actively involved and engaged in our thoughts and actions -----

Verses 19 --23---gives the Church warnings to keep God in our minds and hearts so we don't allow any distractions to deter us from hanging on to what is good ----

And this scripture also gives you a hint on some protocol for praying ----be Rejoyful -----and give Thanks is high on the list for praying to God ---

Mar 4, 2020
My view
I say --I think maybe you really don't understand what praying without ceasing means -----your picking one verse and trying to discuss it with no knowledge of the real understanding of it ------

This Scripture is not talking individual people ----it is actually is speaking about the Church in a Church Setting ----1 Thessalonians 5 ----

Final instructions and blessing

12 Brothers and sisters, we ask you to respect those who are working with you, leading you, and instructing you. 13 Think of them highly with love because of their work. Live in peace with each other. 14 Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are disorderly. Comfort the discouraged. Help the weak. Be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure no one repays a wrong with a wrong, but always pursue the good for each other and everyone else.
16 Rejoice always.
17 Pray continually.

18 Give thanks in every situation because this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
19 Don’t suppress the Spirit. 20 Don’t brush off Spirit-inspired messages, 21 but examine everything carefully and hang on to what is good. 22 Avoid every kind of evil. 23 Now, may the God of peace himself cause you to be completely dedicated to him; and may your spirit, soul, and body be kept intact and blameless at our Lord Jesus Christ’s coming.

I say --So Runningman ----this is how view verse 17 ----------- Paul is not saying to be continually bowed talking continually to God but is rather speaking of having an attitude of God consciousness and God Surrender that we live every waking moment knowing that God is with us and He is actively involved and engaged in our thoughts and actions -----

Verses 19 --23---gives the Church warnings to keep God in our minds and hearts so we don't allow any distractions to deter us from hanging on to what is good ----

And this scripture also gives you a hint on some protocol for praying ----be Rejoyful -----and give Thanks is high on the list for praying to God ---
Actually, I agree with that and that's what I was saying. I wasn't talking about physically kneeling in prayer 24/7/365. I would add that the church is made of individuals who pray independently of one another; individuals can pray without ceasing.

The church isn't a collective hive mind of people moving and praying with one accord. The analogy of the church is that it is one body composed of many members with varying functions.