Pastor admits 'sexual incident' with teen; Gets standing ovation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

7seasrekeyed

Pride. How often it can keep us from apologizing for a snide remark made to others. And the lengths some will go to avoid doing as much. Boy .. girl .. young man .. young lady. They were both 17 yrs. old, as you already are well aware. Look elsewhere for needed ammo to persist with your attempted shaming ... and your stubborn refusal to admit that you might be wrong. Some can see clearly thru the lines written. Your hope lies in those who can't.
tell you what, why don't you actually read the article and then discuss it rationally rather than accuse me of nonsense

seems you have some kind of trigger going on here and certainly nothing I have said to you

I did not post to you...you posted to me

I had no idea you were busy following me around :rolleyes:

like I said, READ the article. the reporting is slanted and the 'victim' in this case, from 20yrs ago, added her post to the 'me too' movement

please be an adult, and don't continue to make this some kind of personal conflict with me because as far as I am concerned, I don't ever even remember posting to you at all anywhere. I may have, but it doesn't stand out in my memory

Last edited by a moderator:

7seasrekeyed

well, I went and checked out the thread you mentioned mr plainguy and it seems you were a lurker in that thread. you never posted in it at all. you did read it though, apparently, so are you not aware that the responses were about about 50/50 for thinking it was ok or thinking it was not ok for a 17 yr old male to 'date' a 26 yr old female?

so like I already said, I do not remember posting to you in this thread or any other...perhaps I did in some thread, but I don't recall it

so I don't know what has set you off here in this thread since I did not post to you here but expressed my view as did others

you are free to disagree, but the personal comments are something you own alone. that may be your style and you can be assured that I will remember you now

however, I doubt I will respond to you again. please find someone else to jab at

Nov 23, 2016
tell you what, why don't you actually read the article and then discuss it rationally rather than accuse me of nonsense

seems you have some kind of trigger going on here and certainly nothing I have said to you

I did not post to you...you posted to me

I had no idea you were busy following me around :rolleyes:

like I said, READ the article. the reporting is slanted and the 'victim' in this case, from 20yrs ago, added her post to the 'me too' movement

please be an adult, and don't continue to make this some kind of personal conflict with me because as far as I am concerned, I don't ever even remember posting to you at all anywhere. I may have, but it doesn't stand out in my memory
I did read the article ... more than a few times. My "trigger" was your use of the word voyeurism to those of us who had commented on this thread. I've read enough of your posts (and found wisdom in many) to give you the benefit of the doubt that you knew what you were saying and meant when you used that choice of word ... particularly in the context of an OP that touched on a sexual sin. Any of us can move around on these threads with a self-declared impunity. But it doesn't make what we say less transparent. I was offended by the implication of your post ... and still am. And I am confident that given your level of intelligence that I have seen displayed in many of your posts, I was left with no choice but to be insulted by the implications that word brings ... especially in the context of the thread. But I'm moving on.

vo·yeur·ism
vwäˈərizəm/
noun

• the practice of gaining sexual pleasure from watching others when they are naked or engaged in sexual activity.

• enjoyment from seeing the pain or distress of others.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

Of course the editing in the OP is to favor a a specific reaction. If you don't read the article you don't realize it, but common sense should still make it obvious.
The congregation did give an ovation for him assaulting anyone, but rather for his confession of an event 20 years ago and saying more should have been done to help the victim. At this point the church applauds.
Likely the majority of the members had no clue about further details covered in the article. So from the churches perspective it wasn't this horrendous applause the editing in the OP suggests.

And of course politics and religion make a difference in how people react. For many a pastor is more personal than a politician, a profession viewed as professional liars.
Even in the email written by the victim it states he had an immediate flooding of guilt. Real or fake? Who knows. But unlike a politician there was an immediate and later admission.

So to suggest it is a simple matter of some professions get away with more than others is false. Bill Clinton got away with a lot, and many to this day still defend him.

Read the article, not the slanted edited version in the OP.
If his admission were immediate, he would have confessed 20 years ago. He admits AFTER his victim went public. I would not have clapped.

L

La_Vie_En_Rose

I hope that I'm not coming across as "defending this guy's behaviour and actions" of 20 yrs. ago ... because I'm not. What he did was sinfully wrong in every aspect. But I didn't read in the article that he was being moved to another church ? It simply said he was leaving (maybe I too missed something ?). In any case, his transgression is openly known and it will undoubtedly follow him. Similar occurrences in the RCC were unknown to most and hidden with greater secrecy. I suppose my point is/was is that it is an irresponsible and perhaps unrealistic expectation to think that there wouldn't be a measure of temptation(s) amongst a mixed group of young adults between the ages of 17-22 yrs. old at any function ... including at any church, christian or otherwise. I hope both involved come to peace with God over this matter and find that His grace is indeed sufficient for all of us.
He was a youth pastor, though. He wasn’t just a guy a church. Kids look up to youth pastors. They are people in authority. Kids sometimes develop crushes on people in authority. This is why it is unethical for a 22 year old teacher or boss or pastor or coach to have a relationship with a 17 year old kid. The trust is violated- the authority figure has taken advantage of the situation.

He should not have been allowed to continue pastoring churches unless the churches knew what had occurred and the hiring board was okay with the past sin.

Jan 6, 2018
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the situation... But am I seeing a case where a 22 year old and a 17 year old (only 4 1/2 to 5 years apart, depending on their birth months) were consentually engaging in a sex act, the 22 year old had regrets and stopped, and then the 17 year old was mad and started claiming that this was assault because she was just an impressionable kid...while being 1 year away from being legally able to join the military and shoot somebody in the face?

OR

was the sex act physically forced?

Just asking because I remember when I was 17. I had already been making very adult decisions for years.

Just wondering if this is the media needing a story.

Last edited:

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding the situation... But am I seeing a case where a 22 year old and a 17 year old (only 4 1/2 to 5 years apart, depending on their birth months) were consentually engaging in a sex act, the 22 year old had regrets and stopped, and then the 17 year old was mad and started claiming that this was assault because she was just an impressionable kid...while being 1 year away from being legally able to join the military and shoot somebody in the face?

OR

was the sex act physically forced?

Just asking because I remember when I was 17. I had already been making very adult decisions for years.

Just wondering if this is the media needing a story.
Who knows?

Doesn't really concern any of us anyway.

*shock* let's go around chatting about somebody else's life.

Nov 23, 2016
Who knows?

Doesn't really concern any of us anyway.

*shock* let's go around chatting about somebody else's life.
Good idea. Think I'll go find your thread where you got that Muslim to eat pork.

R

ruach

Sadly, it does sound as if the girl told about it on a website a few days earlier and from her perspective he never made any attempt to make right what he had done, despite telling the congregation he made every attempt to heal the hurt he caused...

Not sure which is true.
The Pastor in question did in fact admit this 20 years ago and admit he did everything the accuser said he did.

Not sure the motivation of the girl.

R

ruach

Yes, we Christians do seem to derive a certain disturbing satisfaction from shooting our wounded.
This is because it helps most Christians hide their own unresolved sin.

R

ruach

If his admission were immediate, he would have confessed 20 years ago. He admits AFTER his victim went public. I would not have clapped.
Wrong, he did admit it to the local church leaders 20 years ago. He received an ovation because he was transparent about it then and he is now.