PATHS......

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Isaiah 30:21
And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left.

I was reading this Chapter and started thinking on verse 21. How it reveals so much about men and their ways. I decided to look into it and see what other Scriptures I could find to go with this.

I guess the best way to start is to understand what Isaiah was saying in verse 21.
"And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee..." I have found through study of the various Commentaries is believed to be referring to the Holy Spirit. Now, the Jews of the time compared the "voice" to a Teacher who would admonish one of their Students if they strayed from the path the Teacher had set them on.

John Gill wrote the following:

And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee
Which may be said in reference to the backsliding and declining state of the people, ( Isaiah 30:11 ) and is thought by some to be an allusion to schoolmasters, who stand behind their scholars, or at their backs, to guide, teach, and instruct them; and by others to shepherds following their flocks, who, when they observe any of the sheep going out of the way, call them back; or to travelers, who, coming to a place where are several ways, and being at a loss which way to take, and inclining to turn to the right or left, are called to by persons behind them, and directed in the right way. This "voice behind" is by the Jews F5 interpreted of Bath Kol; and by others of the voice of conscience; but it rather intends the Spirit of God, and his grace; though it seems best to understand it of the Scriptures of truth, the word of God, the only rule of faith and practice; the language of which is,

saying, This [is] the way, walk ye in it;

Isaiah 30:21 - Meaning and Commentary on Bible Verse

He goes on to fully expand upon the verse, and it is well worth reading.

Thus, this verse is (regarding Christians today) speaking of those who having been directed on the straight path and then tend to stray by turning left or right. The "voice" behind them (some say conscious, others Holy Spirit) warns them they are straying and directs them back to the straight path. Just as Gill wrote: (in red above)

Now that we have the understanding, I want to search for other Scriptures in the New Testament that would compare to this verse.

The first I thought of was from Matthew, Chapter 7, verses 13, 14......
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I believe John 14:6 also goes with this.

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Looking back at Proverbs, I found this verse:
3:6) In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Here are some other Scriptures I found:

Psalms 17:5
Hold up my goings in thy paths, [that] my footsteps slip not.

Psalms 23:3
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Psalms 25:4
Show me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.

Psalms 25:10
All the paths of the LORD [are] mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.

(I love this one)
Isaiah 42:16
And I will bring the blind by a way [that] they knew not; I will lead them in paths [that] they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them.

Hebrews 12:13
And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.

Matthew, Chapter 11:
28) Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
It is clear Scripture teaches us we are to "LEAN ON HIM" to direct our paths, and not on our own understanding/ways. For our ways will never lead us to salvation. Only HE can lead us to salvation and eternal life!

Proverbs 3:5) Trust in the Lord with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.

Proverbs 3:7) Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.

Friends, it is so very important for all of us to listen for and to that still, soft voice "inside/behind" us that is the Indwelling Presence of the Holy Spirit, for He will direct our paths, and He will NEVER lead us astray!

God bless.......

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.
(Isaiah 42:16)

Jun 11, 2020
I think that you have opened a discussion worthy of study. This is my understanding.

The passage alludes to Israel in the Millennium. Their bitter chastisement is over and David's House, of which Christ is the Chief, is restored (Act.15:14-16). What is Israel's portion in regards to the human spirit? The Church, as revealed in the New Testament, is a "gathering of the select ones" - the "Ekklesia". The mark of a Christian is that they experienced a birth from above in their human spirit (Jn.3:6). God comes to dwell IN a Christian's human spirit, and directs him from there (Rom.8:11, 14). But the Israelite is different.

Romans 11 says that Israel remain blind, and are concluded in UNBELIEF until the times of the Gentiles are full. The end of Gentile prominence on earth is Armageddon, where their military and political might is dashed to powder by the Lord. Hebrews 11:1 defines faith as the proof and substance of things NOT seen. As Israel SEE Jesus burst from the clouds over Mount Olives, any chance of the faith needed for rebirth is over. So we must investigate the lot of the Israelite after Christ's return.
  1. The Israelites, starting with the fathers, are mostly dead. To fulfill His Promise to Abraham and to his seed, the Israelite must be resurrected first. This happens after the Great Tribulation (Dan.12:1-2)
  2. The next thing that must happen is that Israel, who have scattered through all nations, must be gathered. This too happens after our Lord returns from the sky (Matt.24:31). Only Israel was scattered to the "four winds".
  3. The next thing that happens is that every Israelite will receive a new spirit and a new heart (Ezek.11:19, 18:31, 36:26). This is different to the Christian. The Christian enjoys a new BIRTH IN his human spirit, and God comes to dwell IN his human spirit. The Israelite enjoys a NEW spirit and a NEW heart but God does not dwell inside of it. This is only achieved by FAITH (Jn.1:12-13, 3:14-16), and faith is OVER by this time.
  4. The new spirit and new heart will will not be God's House like the Christian, but it will have the Law written on it (Jer.31:31-33). That is, unlike the Christian who is led by the Spirit of God dwelling IN his human spirit, the Israelite intrinsically tends towards keeping the Law. But the Law is restricted to ca. 613 ordinances. The Law covers many things, but a multitude of daily decisions are not covered. So God promises, in this passage in Isaiah, and others, to guide the Israelite FROM WITHOUT. The voice they hear for everyday decisions will come as a Schoolmaster looking over your shoulder. A schoolmaster prompting you in a difficult equation. A Schoolmaster pointing out something you haven't considered - all from behind your shoulder. Let us consider an example.
Zechariah 14:16 says that by decree of God, the survivors of those that came up against Christ at Armageddon must come up to Jerusalem once a year to worship Christ. These Gentiles will be a mixture of men, and while most will be healthy, some will have suppurating sores, some will have leprosy and some will have had sex with a woman while she has her period. That is, they have dome nothing wrong, but they are ritually UNCLEAN. The Levites, who do service to the House of Jesus, must separate those who are unclean. But who can see the suppurating sore in a Russian armpit. Or who will know that the Ghanaian has touched the blood of his wife's period? The examples may be poor but the point is that the Israelite of the Millennial Kingdom will need guidance that is not found in the Law.

Thus, he will be instructed by a voice OUTSIDE of him, not INSIDE like the Christian. That, I judge, is Isaiah 30:14.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Thus, he will be instructed by a voice OUTSIDE of him, not INSIDE like the Christian. That, I judge, is Isaiah 30:14.
Yes, that is why I stated concerning Christians regarding the voice being inside.

Did you read the Exposition from Gill? You may like it. Good info in it also.

P

pottersclay

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

P

pottersclay

Very nice saint, thanks for sharing