Pentecostalism's sketchy origins

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 2, 2021
Are you advocating righteous and super righteous...or faith and super faith?
In any case show me scriptures which validate a difference of any aspect when speaking in tongues are present?
Follow the LORD's instruction instead of arguing against Him.

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021
Are you advocating righteous and super righteous...or faith and super faith?
In any case show me scriptures which validate a difference of any aspect when speaking in tongues are present?
I am saying you will be a more effective witness if you are endued with power from on high and receive the gift of tongues. The scripture supporting this is when Jesus said wait until you are endued with power from on High and you shall be my witnesses etc...

The scritpure from Jude 20 to build up your most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost supports building up your faith praying in tongues. Paul said when he prayed in tongues he was praying in the spirit. Jude was talking about the same thing. F.F. Bruce agrees with this even though he was a cessationists. I am pretty sure I read his commentary that Jude was probably talking about tongues. And he explains why from the Greek.

Mar 17, 2021
i am only interested in Truth.
What preconceived answers??? Scripture holds the answers we are to know from the Lord.

Throw out some scripture and let's see where it leads.
i will be the first to agree wherever i am astray concerning His word.
Here are three topics that don't appear in the New Testament: prosperity as an indicator of spiritual health; guaranteed healing as the result of prayer; and progressive revelation beyond the closed canon of Scripture.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I am saying you will be a more effective witness if you are endued with power from on high and receive the gift of tongues. The scripture supporting this is when Jesus said wait until you are endued with power from on High and you shall be my witnesses etc...

The scritpure from Jude 20 to build up your most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost supports building up your faith praying in tongues. Paul said when he prayed in tongues he was praying in the spirit. Jude was talking about the same thing. F.F. Bruce agrees with this even though he was a cessationists. I am pretty sure I read his commentary that Jude was probably talking about tongues. And he explains why from the Greek.
I Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

I Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues a of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal

Jude 20
17 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” 19 These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

20 But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

22 Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

I Cor 12 indicates not all gifts are given to all people, including tongues.

I Cor 13 states it's love, not tongues, that matters.

Jude 20 shows zero contextual implications that tongues are being referred to in verse 20. Praying in the Holy Spirit does not mean tongues, except to charismatics. No evidence to support that intention in this verse.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Here are three topics that don't appear in the New Testament: prosperity as an indicator of spiritual health; guaranteed healing as the result of prayer; and progressive revelation beyond the closed canon of Scripture.
for #1- I believe there is a phrase from antiquity, "Them that the gods wish to destroy, they first make rich".

We must continue living for the next one, not this one which will pass away, and it looks like soon.
blessings

Aug 2, 2021
i AGREE

Now let's move on to the scripture that you wish to share besides these three which you mentioned.

May 22, 2020
Follow the LORD's instruction instead of arguing against Him.
Didn't know you were God.
Since when does a request for supporting scripture of an opinion become a conflict with God?
If you were Bible ready you would not make such nutty comment. .

At this point you state opinion...where is the scriptures?
As an interloper the question applies to you also.

Aug 2, 2021
I Corinthians 12
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. 28 And God has placed in the church first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, of helping, of guidance, and of different kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? 31 Now eagerly desire the greater gifts.

I Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues a of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal

Jude 20
17 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” 19 These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.

20 But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, 21 keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

22 Be merciful to those who doubt; 23 save others by snatching them from the fire; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Jude 20 shows zero contextual implications that tongues are being referred to in verse 20. Praying in the Holy Spirit does not mean tongues, except to charismatics. No evidence to support that intention in this verse.
AGREE - LOVE is the Greatest = for God so loved the world, HE gave His only begotten Son.........

Now focus on the will of God and what our LORD spoke of in the Gospel of John, Acts and 1Corinthinthians concerning the baptism of the Holy Spirit and earnestly desiring spiritual Gifts from the Father of Lights.

Aug 2, 2021
Didn't know you were God.
Since when does a request for supporting scripture of an opinion become a conflict with God?
If you were Bible ready you would not make such nutty comment. .

At this point you state opinion...where is the scriptures?
As an interloper the question applies to you also.
Where is the opinionated scripture that you are refering to?

CS1

May 23, 2012
I Corinthians 12

I Corinthians 13

Jude 20

actually, it does but you jump around and do not understand that 1Cor chapters 12 through 14 are unit chapters. And you use Jude out of context.

You a an opinion but it is not contextual to 1cor chapter 12 through 14

Aug 2, 2021
I don't wish to share any Scriptures. What Scriptures would you like to share?
I will respond tomorrow as i am falling asleep at the wheel.

Good Nite Brother and be Blessed in Him and His Holy Spirit

TDidymas

Oct 27, 2021
Shouldn't those who love the truth and know the scriptures be wary of any church label beyond that of location? To make one aspect of the New Testament account preeminent (Pentecost, baptism, Catholic, holy, brethren, orthodox, Messianic, Calvary, apostolic, charismatic, Bible, etc.) should be a warning to all who love the Truth. Even naming a group after Christ (Church of Christ) is clearly forbidden in Paul's epistle. And just so I don't leave anyone out, only a divisive heart would embrace the term "non-denominational": they glory in their separation from the other believers. This tradition causes deceptive and scheming men and women to continue unchecked in their own "version of the gospel".
I hear you, bro. I take it you're talking about group rivalry that Paul was rebuking in 1 Cor. There ought to be unity among the churches. But the naming of the type of church it is besides location really is necessary in these days because of the disunity of doctrine. It indirectly lets people know the doctrinal nuances or emphasis of the leadership. That may be a good or a bad thing, depending on what people do with it.