Peter denied by Jesus

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
erm, i think you are guilty of a bit of misquoting there . .

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.”
(Luke 22:31-32)

​
please notice also that there is no "if" there -
- but Christ says "
when you have turned again . ."
I see the problem. I use The KJV and here is what it states: Luke 22 verse 31-33:
"And The Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But i have prayed for thee that thy faith fail not; AND WHEN THOU ART CONVERTED,strengthen thy brethren"

Never says "Turned"...A lot of the newer version bibles change the words which changes the original wording..
 
31 Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:
‘I will strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’[d]


32 But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee.”
33 Peter answered and said to Him, “Even if all are made to stumble because of You, I will never be made to stumble.”
34 Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you that this night, before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.”
35 Peter said to Him, “Even if I have to die with You, I will not deny You!”
And so said all the disciples.

This is what were dealing with people, read carefully, it is not a good practice to assume something that is not there or to take away something that is.
There was denial for it was prophetic....above all else God's word will come to pass.
 
Since REPENTING is to change your mind..... Did Peter ever stop believing in Christ, even if he did get scared and said he didn't know him? No, I don't think he did.

So, if he never changed his mind about loving Christ from the time he originally REPENTED and became a follower.......... what would he have to rethink, and make a decision for that night? Nothing. He just had to stifle the momentary fear he gave in to, and step back up, continuing his walk.

Amen! Peter certainly had a weak moment out of fear when he denied Christ three times, but he did not stop believing in Christ or lose his salvation. In Matthew 10:32, we read - "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33 But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven."

The broader context of this passage relates to the fact that the Pharisees had continuously denied Jesus while the disciples spoke about Him in every city they visited. We might paraphrase His teaching this way: "Whoever confesses me before men (such as you disciples), I will confess him before my Father in heaven. But whoever denies me before men (like these Pharisees do on every occasion they get), I will deny him before my Father in heaven."

The word for "deny" is an aorist tense. This points to the fact that Jesus is not talking about a single instance of denial (as was the case with Peter, who actually denied Him three times - Luke 22:34), but is referring to life in its entirety. Hence, the person who throughout his life denies Christ (as was typically the case with the Pharisees) will be denied by Christ before the Father.
 
I disagree, Peter did not repent the Lord just forgave.....

Luke 23:34Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”

I think this prayer goes farther than the people who handled Jesus.



Where sin abounds, grace did much more abound....Jesus also did not condemn the woman taken in adultery and I do not remember her asking for forgiveness either (in the text)........You know.....it is clear that JESUS preemptively paid for ALL my sins on the cross the day he said it is finished<--PAID in full.....and if GRACE is out bounding my sin....that means it is ahead of my sin, dealing with my sin before I sin.......
 
Where sin abounds, grace did much more abound....Jesus also did not condemn the woman taken in adultery and I do not remember her asking for forgiveness either (in the text)........You know.....it is clear that JESUS preemptively paid for ALL my sins on the cross the day he said it is finished<--PAID in full.....and if GRACE is out bounding my sin....that means it is ahead of my sin, dealing with my sin before I sin.......

thank you for the reminder, there, though i know nothing of this convo or context. the words ring true.
 
erm, i think you are guilty of a bit of misquoting there . .

“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.”
(Luke 22:31-32)

​
please notice also that there is no "if" there -
- but Christ says "
when you have turned again . ."

Good point.(when) If i could add.

Because Christ paid the full a wage of any sin (eternal damnation).When Peter did deny Christ in unbelief (no faith) which was more than three times, Christ could not deny He had suffered for Peter as for any new born again creature.

If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.2Ti 2:12

When Christ said; when you have turned again. The grace that came from Christ's work of faith, as a labor of His love gave Peter salvation ....worked in Peter to both will and do the good pleasure of Christ , turning Peter who was not accustomed of being yoked with Christ, so that after Christ turned him ....then Peter could repent.

If Christ does not turn us towards Himself no man could repent. Christ does all the work of salvation. If he has begun the good work according to His good pleasure he will finish it till the last day.

The law of repentance, as it is written below

I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the LORD my God.Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth. Jer 31:18

To repent is a work of God not of one self lest any man boast. His yoke is easy making our burden lighter.