Please explain to me the verse

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Priscy16

Junior Member
Apr 3, 2018
7
0
1
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
 
It means that he will take care of us and give us our every needs when we rest in his presence
 
The word want is old English for "lack"

The green pastures represents that which is needed for life to be sustained

The still waters represent a position of peace and security

The analogy is that of a sheep.....to a sheep green pastures = plenty of good food and still waters a place of rest and security as well as that fluid essential to life...

I will also add that deer are more at ease when around a creek that is not making a lot of noise because they can hear better and any danger approaching is more easily identified....same with a sheep.....

The above equates to God providing all things needed...and JESUS/N.T. reaffirms this....SEEK ye first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto the...food, clothing, shelter, water etc.....

David said that in all his life he had not seen the righteous begging for bread....

If God be for us who can be against us

etc.....
 
The Lord is my shepherd...
Properly applicable only to genuine sheep. For more insight into this phrase study the Gospel of John chapter 10. Christ is the Good Shepherd, the Great Shepherd, and the Chief Shepherd.
 
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.


May I suggest a book for you...author is keller.....book is a Shepard's look at psalm 23...I think you'll enjoy it.
 
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.


This means that Jesus will give us all that is necessary for us growing in faith:

"I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (Phil 4.12).
 
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Hello Priscy16, :)

Scripture has many layers of truth. The truth I have gleaned from Psalm 23:1-2 is.....

1 - The Lord is my Shepherd
Making Jesus Lord is the beginning of my relationship with Him and my walk as a follower of Christ. All dependency is on Him because He is my King, Savior and Lord. I choose Him and He chooses me. I no longer choose my own will or the world.

2 - I shall not want (or lack any good thing)
Jesus will not withhold what is good for me. He will NOT satisfy my flesh, meaning humility is good for me so, Jesus will have to brake pride off of me. Peace is good for me so, He'll have to brake worry off of me....etc. He'll patiently work with me and get rid of the bad and make sure I get what is good for me. It's a process.


Hope this helped! :)
 
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

The best place to start would be with the first verse since it is written, "The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."

If you look at Psalms 110:1, "The LORD said unto my Lord, ......." you might begin to perceive there being a difference, of course a diamond in the rough looks like glass to those who do not know that they do not know what to look for. (See Duet 29:4)
 
Jesus is my "green pasture" and "still waters". His presence is calming, restful and beautiful.
 
Just as a shepherd leads and protects sheep, God leads and protects His people. We shall not be in want for spiritual food- for His Word shall be sufficient for us. Just as sheep lie down on the green grass in which they eat, God’s people can rest in His Word knowing that it is truth and will come to pass, always there when we need it, so much of it we can be surrounded by it. He leads us beside the still waters that are calm and peaceful for us, we drink of the water of life (Jesus) and become part of Him.
 
May I suggest a book for you...author is keller.....book is a Shepard's look at psalm 23...I think you'll enjoy it.

I love that book, pottersclay! It gives a clearer understanding of how faithful and loving our God is to us!

The LORD is my Shepherd, I shall not want.

The LORD often uses sheep as an analogy for His followers. The sheep are completely dependent upon the shepherd for everything. He manages their entire lives. And the LORD our Shepherd is completely able to manage everything in our lives. We won’t want for anything when we learn to completely trust in Him.

He makes me to lie down in green pastures.

Like people, sheep are easily frightened and cannot lie down and rest until they are free of fear. One or two sheep in the fold can get the entire flock stirred up and restless. They won’t lie down if they’re hungry or thirsty either, so they must have lush, flourishing pasture to grow healthy and for the ewes to produce milk for their lambs. And like people, sheep have a pecking order and some bigger, fatter ones will butt the weaker ones and try to dominate the flock.

But as soon as they see the shepherd walking among them and hear his voice, all attention is on him. He has no favorites, they are all important to him. The sheep are able to lie down and rest when they know the loving shepherd is in complete control.

The green pastures represent the constant care and nourishment of the LORD, our refuge. A place of rest.

He leads me beside the still waters.

The still waters are deep, pure pools of water, unpolluted and without noisy turbulence. Peaceful, clean streams of water, which represent the LORD, our Living Water Who nourishes our soul. He continually leads us to Himself by His Spirit He’s placed within us.
 
1Peter 2:25 For ye were going astray like sheep; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.


He is the good Sheppard and overseer or Bishop of our new souls; we rest in his Sabbath as His Spirit works with us in us … to both will and do His good pleasure.

He holds us safely in His arms as a God who always does His good pleasure…… saying to the Sea be still.

Isa 46:10 declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not yet done; saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure;
 
There have been several really good answers.

I believe there is another aspect to the meaning of those verses.

Our culture in particular; but mankind in general, tend to promote acting independently. God desires that we be totally dependent on Him; much as sheep are dependent on a shepherd for protection and provision.
 
There have been several really good answers.

I believe there is another aspect to the meaning of those verses.

Our culture in particular; but mankind in general, tend to promote acting independently. God desires that we be totally dependent on Him; much as sheep are dependent on a shepherd for protection and provision.

I agree, but will ask....

Does not the opening statement assume or point out that the Lord is indeed our shepherd?
 
our precious DC, yes, our Lord and Saviour is The Shepard of our lives, He allows
us His 'time' for His purpose' upon His gift of living upon this earthly realm...

Let us not fret for what we don't understand, but let us Trust and Hope in the
knowledge and gifts, assurance that He has blessed us with so far,..
 
That what YHWH sets before us should and will satisfy us. The righteous path, protection, courage, blessings and eventually eternal life.