Please help...I don't understand something

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Everyone always says that heaven is this wonderful place. Streets lined with gold, etc... Better than here on earth. SO why is it then that everyone says that Jesus "sacrificed" himself for our sins. Exactly what did he/she "sacrifice"? His/her life on earth? To go to a better place? What kind of "sacrifice is that? Sounds more like a get out of jail free card to me.

Crucifixion was a very painful death and some people crucified lasted for days on a cross.

Read the crucifixion Psalm. Psalm 22:

Psalm 22:14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

"All my bones are out of joint". Usually when you want to tighten an axe head, you pound the axe on its base to tighten the axe head. When the cross was dropped in its base which was probably a hole, it probably pulled all of Jesus' bones out of joint.

And usually they didn't have crosses up high in the air. Imagine being crucified down low and having wild animals come and eat at your flesh.

Matthew 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.

Mark 10:38 But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?

The cup that Jesus drank from is the wrath of God poured out without admixture and Jesus paid the price for every person's sins.

There are other theories from other theologians who suggest that Jesus gave something else up but I'm not going to entertain them.

Isaiah 51:22 Thus saith thy Lord the LORD, and thy God that pleadeth the cause of his people, Behold, I have taken out of thine hand the cup of trembling, even the dregs of the cup of my fury; thou shalt no more drink it again:


Isaiah 51:23 But I will put it into the hand of them that afflict thee; which have said to thy soul, Bow down, that we may go over: and thou hast laid thy body as the ground, and as the street, to them that went over.

Jesus drank the cup and this cup will later be poured out during the Great Tribulation.
 
RPHARDY I hope my response can help. You have to understand first why GOD created man. From my understanding of the Bible, GOD created man to replace Satan from reigning and ruling the world, read Lk 4:6. GOD gave man the dominion over all the earth when man was created, Gen 1:26-28. However, man failed when he was tempted. From this early part of creation of man we can see the Adversary will not easily give up his authority on earth. Man failed GOD again in the First Covenant that God instituted. Jesus came to become the PROPITIATORY sacrifice to appease GOD ALMIGHTY to carry on or keep with the plan for man to rule and reign the world as HIS king. Jesus Christ came to accomplish and fulfil the redemption plan of GOD by HIS death and by HIS death HE gave back the dominion only to those who enter HIS New Covenant or the New agreement. Everytime then the enemy contend or challenge us as HIS ruler on earth being now GOD's beloved child in union with THE LORD, we make the enemy know the manifold wisdom of THE ALMIGHTY GOD
 
Everyone always says that heaven is this wonderful place. Streets lined with gold, etc... Better than here on earth. SO why is it then that everyone says that Jesus "sacrificed" himself for our sins. Exactly what did he/she "sacrifice"? His/her life on earth? To go to a better place? What kind of "sacrifice is that? Sounds more like a get out of jail free card to me.
Are your questions just preaching in disguise or will you afford the kindness of a response to all who have kindly given you answers?
 
OK. Paying the price of death makes no sense because it was death on earth that allowed him to go to heaven. Right. So I can not agree with that reason. Same with offering up who he was as a human. That makes it sound like being a human is better than being in heaven. I can't go with that reason either. As far as sacrificing himself to die, it's my understanding that he knew he would die. So basically that is suicide, which according to the bible if you do you can not reach heaven. It's no different than someone saying I know if I let go of the steering wheel at 100 mph I'll crash and die. So that's what Jesus did. He let go of the steering wheel. So I can't believe that reason either otherwise he would be breaking his own rules. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission for sin? So basically to remiss sin there must be blood. Sorry - I thought he was supposed to be a peaceful god. I just can't go for that either. Rendering the devil powerless? I thought the devil was cast into hell for eternity (or until let out). So how is it that someone can be left powerless when he is in no place to render power. It's not prison where he can make a phone call. It's hell. I'm not being a jerk. I'm questioning because that's the gift I was given.
 
I'm questioning because that's the gift I was given.
You have been given the gift of life and will die the second death if you reject
the author and giver of life. He said, "Come let us reason together." not, come
and demand answers of me while pretending you are seeking sincerely.
Humble yourself before Him if you value life.
 
OK. Paying the price of death makes no sense because it was death on earth that allowed him to go to heaven. Right. So I can not agree with that reason. Same with offering up who he was as a human. That makes it sound like being a human is better than being in heaven. I can't go with that reason either. As far as sacrificing himself to die, it's my understanding that he knew he would die. So basically that is suicide, which according to the bible if you do you can not reach heaven. It's no different than someone saying I know if I let go of the steering wheel at 100 mph I'll crash and die. So that's what Jesus did. He let go of the steering wheel. So I can't believe that reason either otherwise he would be breaking his own rules. Without the shedding of blood there is no remission for sin? So basically to remiss sin there must be blood. Sorry - I thought he was supposed to be a peaceful god. I just can't go for that either. Rendering the devil powerless? I thought the devil was cast into hell for eternity (or until let out). So how is it that someone can be left powerless when he is in no place to render power. It's not prison where he can make a phone call. It's hell. I'm not being a jerk. I'm questioning because that's the gift I was given.

No, it wasn't. It was death on earth that sent Him no farther than simply the grave.... forever. It was trusting in God to rescue Him that got Him back home. If all He had done was get Himself killed, He would still just be in the ground to this day. Ya see, since you don't trust in God, your death won't result in you being rescued.
 
No, it wasn't. It was death on earth that sent Him no farther than simply the grave.... forever. It was trusting in God to rescue Him that got Him back home. If all He had done was get Himself killed, He would still just be in the ground to this day. Ya see, since you don't trust in God, your death won't result in you being rescued.



Thank you - Finally an answer that makes sense and not all that other long winded jibberish.
 
Thank you - Finally an answer that makes sense and not all that other long winded jibberish.

I think a lot of us sort of have the idea that He was just going back to Heaven, anyway, so no big deal. But we forget that by being born in the same natural manner as we were, He actually BECAME a human being... subject to all the same things we are subject to, happiness, sorrow, laughter, tears, loneliness, joy, aching muscles, tiredness, pain, hunger, even fear and doubt AND that He did not have any more of a special two-way radio connection to God than we do if we do not live with that connection as part of our daily lives.

So, it stands to reason that death for Him, would be exactly the same as death for any of us.
 
No, it was NOT death on earth that allowed him to go to heaven

Jesus was originally in heaven
He came to earth to suffer as a man
He was mocked and tortured for our sake
After dying and raising (and being on earth for a few more days) he did eventually return to heaven

:)
 
Well, RP, it sounds as if you've been given the explanation in several different ways... they all boil down to Jesus being THE sacrifice for our (humanity) sins. After leaving heaven, coming to earth voluntarily, becoming human, suffering an excruciating (the root word for excruciating is crucifix, I believe) death for us, he was the first resurrected forever person, showing us what we have to look forward to.... what do YOU say now? Still can't "go for that" ? Because of the "gift" you've been given? What "gift" is that, if you don't mind my asking?
 
Well, RP, it sounds as if you've been given the explanation in several different ways... they all boil down to Jesus being THE sacrifice for our (humanity) sins. After leaving heaven, coming to earth voluntarily, becoming human, suffering an excruciating (the root word for excruciating is crucifix, I believe) death for us, he was the first resurrected forever person, showing us what we have to look forward to.... what do YOU say now? Still can't "go for that" ? Because of the "gift" you've been given? What "gift" is that, if you don't mind my asking?


Well Hornet Guy. Sounds like you are getting defensive. Did Jesus get defensive? I don't remember him doing so. Except when he knocked all them tables over. My original question "Going to somewhere better is NOT a sacrifice, is it?"
If you want to play games instead of answer questions then please go ahead. I can ignore your temper filled responses without a problem. You see, I'm just a guy asking questions and giving my responses as I see them. Here's another question. "Are you one of those people that hate gays?" I bet you are. But you know what, I bet Jesus loves them. SO please, be more like Jesus and less like a human. That's if you really want to get to heaven of course.
 
Well Hornet Guy. Sounds like you are getting defensive. Did Jesus get defensive? I don't remember him doing so. Except when he knocked all them tables over. My original question "Going to somewhere better is NOT a sacrifice, is it?"
If you want to play games instead of answer questions then please go ahead. I can ignore your temper filled responses without a problem. You see, I'm just a guy asking questions and giving my responses as I see them. Here's another question. "Are you one of those people that hate gays?" I bet you are. But you know what, I bet Jesus loves them. SO please, be more like Jesus and less like a human. That's if you really want to get to heaven of course.
I am picking up that you have contempt for Christians and our beliefs.

May be wrong,but that is my take from your interaction.

Want to talk about it?
 
I am picking up that you have contempt for Christians and our beliefs.

May be wrong,but that is my take from your interaction.

Want to talk about it?



Not really. I question when I see anomalies. I question when answers are not solid. I question when things are taught to me that make no sense. People used to believe the world was flat and it was impossible to fly. If it was not for questions we would still all be living in caves. So why can I not question what I see as things that need to be asked. If it offends anyone then they need to grow a pair, I don't want to talk to them. I want to talk to people with answers, real answers. and I have the right to question their answers if I don't feel they are explaining in a way that makes sense.
 
Not really. I question when I see anomalies. I question when answers are not solid. I question when things are taught to me that make no sense. People used to believe the world was flat and it was impossible to fly. If it was not for questions we would still all be living in caves. So why can I not question what I see as things that need to be asked. If it offends anyone then they need to grow a pair, I don't want to talk to them. I want to talk to people with answers, real answers. and I have the right to question their answers if I don't feel they are explaining in a way that makes sense.


You remind me of me. LOL

But then Jesus came.
I remember how lame they sounded to me.

God met me personally. That is what brought me in.
 
I'm glad we have folks come on with the typical insults against our faith... I'm guessing this is not going to end well :(

The reference to God as a "she" is very common among internet bigots who attack Christians... hope I'm worng
It ended well. Same troll from Easter. Got banned then. Got banned before then. Got banned again. Will return soon to get banned again.
 
Dear Rphardy,
He sacrifices himself for your life. He gives himself as a sacrifice and died on the cross.
Before, people sacrifices goat and sheep for sin offering.
In substitution of the goat and sheep, Jesus gave himself on the cross to take away your sins, so now you do not need a goat or sheep to sacrifice to God for the forgiveness of your sins. The only things you and I should do is to believe in Jesus and pray to God for his forgiveness and God will take away your sins. We have to do that and wait for his coming. The sacrifice was already made, all you have to do is believe and pray.
God made an agreement with Eve and Edam in the past. He said the women will bore a son who will crush the head of the snake, Geneses 3:15. Eve and Edam were like God but when they do sin, God mention what was in Geneses 3:15. Following the Promise, God sent his son as a sacrifice to save the people he created with his hands. God is enemy of Satan and God does not want His children to be lost in hell because God prepared Hell for Satan and not for his children.
Tell me, do you want someone to teach your child stupid things and at the end of the day, you see you own children acting like animal doing stupid things, like robbing people, and drinking alcohol and taking drugs, involved in raping . Do you want that to happen to your child? Exactly not. You do want to see someone influencing your child. And you will not allow that to happen.
Likewise, the freedom of choice was given to Eve and Edam and they disobey God’s instruction and that is where Even and Edam become bad in the eyes of the lord so God made promise to help his children, God loved his children. So Jesus Christ came down sacrificing himself on the cross for the children of God.
The better place was where his children lived and that is the Garden of Eden and they were like God. But when they become sin, they were removed from the better place. Jesus sacrificed himself to bring God’s children to the better place they live before but this time it’s much better place than before.
So it’s not new thing. It started in the beginning and it is an ongoing thing.