Please help me figure this out.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TiffanyK

Mar 21, 2018
I am so lost and my heart is in so much pain. I have addictions and I just can't stop no matter how hard I try. Please someone..... Help me

U

Ugly

Hi Tiffany.
Addiction is more than just a bad habit. We hold on to addictions because it still feels a need we have yet to meet. One of the biggest helps is to figure out what the specific need is and deal with it.
Many on drugs or alcohol have some kind of past pain they have been unable to cope with, for example.
Sometimes addiction is in the brain itself and can even affect the mind and body if you go without it.
Usually addiction feeds into the problem, by creating a new problem, the addiction. Guilt, regret, etc... make is feel bad, which sends the person back to addiction to cope, and so the cycle goes.
Some addictions require assistance for the physical symptoms of coming off of it, such as alcohol.
The type of addiction, how long it's been a problem can affect how you handle the addiction. No one here can actively help you, but only guide you to where to get help and give some advice and prayers.

Silverwings

Jul 27, 2016
Sorry but my take on this is that you can quit anything with the help of the Christ you serve.........when you get to the point you really want to actually desire to please him more than pleasing yourself. Fasting is the weapon to use to overcome. It you will seek him with your whole heart, you will find the freedom that you desire. There is no sin that is known to man that cannot be overcome, but it will require your complete desire to overcome, and your obedience to him rather than self.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
You gotta trust in Christ one thing i have experienced time and time again is i would start sinning when i thought i was ok when i thought i made it past that sin. You will never get past this addiction there's nothing you can do you're holding onto the edge of a cliff and you're losing your grip your going to fall no matter how much strength or will power or whatever you have is going to help you get to safety you have two options: fall, five up and die, or you can trust in Christ to pull you up the thing is he isn't gonna pull you up until you're glorified in death so until then he's going to slowly pull you closer and closer to safety. Ok sounds about right right? You probably already know this but do you really? There will never be a moment in your life that you're safe this addiction is pulling you down trying to make up fall and until you are completely safe, or dead/glorified you have to trust in Christ to keep this addiction from pulling you back down. The second you think that you are safe, that you are beating this, that this is something you can handle is the second you let your guard down and Christ has to you slip down a bit to remind you YOU AREN'T GOING TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS YOU CAN'T HELP YOURSELF AT ALL I CAN. If you are truly saved, if you're truly Christian then you have to trust Christ and not yourself never let your guard down always be aware that you aren't safe, and that only Christ can keep this addiction from pulling you down. This could be a sign you aren't saved it COULD be i would read 1st John to test your heart but I'm going to assume you're struggling and this is the only solution thisbis all about faith the second we stop having faith or faint we sink like peter God bless.

U

Ugly

People with addiction aren't saved? What s ridiculous slap in the face to people trying to overcome. A very limited view of life and a blind eye to the heart and motive of the person trying to get past it. Ignore such rubbish.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
People with addiction aren't saved? What s ridiculous slap in the face to people trying to overcome. A very limited view of life and a blind eye to the heart and motive of the person trying to get past it. Ignore such rubbish.
Sorry if i was unclear I didn't say that addiction means your not saved said it could be a sign very different and only because the language she used like " just can't stop no matter how hard I try" seems like someone who is in a way a slave to this addiction and if we are slaves to sin we aren't saved. I was just trying to warn her because many are deceived i don't want her to be IF she is, if that makes sense just a warning is all Jesus and the disciples constantly warmed people when they were sinning that it could be proof they aren't in the faith not because they weren't saved but because it could be a sign that they aren't depending on the circumstances, but I don't know that much about her only what she said so just to be safe i recommended that she read 1st john just in case that way she could test herself and her hearts motives because I can't do that so no I didn't say that at all but hopefully this clears that up cx.

student

Jul 20, 2010
dear Tiffany...this is the first step...grace between you and God isi beautiful...but when you come to people and step out of the darkness...you're on your way. I drank from age 5 to 8 years ago. That's about 40 years. God asked me to stop. I did. For the most part. I took my last drink at my son's going away party for a war. I looked up to God that night and felt shame. I gave him my heart and the alcohol fell to the wayside. It's never easy to do even that, but if you're on your knees and you are sincere, God is right there. The prodigal son is us...all of us...and our Father is RUNNING to welcome us home. You can imagine the Joy in heaven for you right now!!!! I'm proud of you. -student

P

Pontiac

Tiffany,
Take it one day at a time ... Try very hard to go one day straight ... Then make it a point to do the same the next day ... All the while praying to God for strength ... See how many days you can go and if you slip do not be afraid to try again ... Keep praying to God for help and He will hear your prayers and help you ... You just took the first important step in admitting the problem ... Next step is asking God to help you to help yourself ... I am praying for you ...

U

Ugly

Sorry if i was unclear I didn't say that addiction means your not saved said it could be a sign very different and only because the language she used like " just can't stop no matter how hard I try" seems like someone who is in a way a slave to this addiction and if we are slaves to sin we aren't saved. I was just trying to warn her because many are deceived i don't want her to be IF she is, if that makes sense just a warning is all Jesus and the disciples constantly warmed people when they were sinning that it could be proof they aren't in the faith not because they weren't saved but because it could be a sign that they aren't depending on the circumstances, but I don't know that much about her only what she said so just to be safe i recommended that she read 1st john just in case that way she could test herself and her hearts motives because I can't do that so no I didn't say that at all but hopefully this clears that up cx.
seems like someone who is in a way a slave to this addiction and if we are slaves to sin we aren't saved.*
You said it again, addiction = not saved.

sylverk

Mar 18, 2016
I too have addiction but with God all things are possible..... I stopped quitting.... I could stop without Gods help. When I turned my will over to God everything in my life becomes better.... And it is not about our drinking or drugging and it is all about how selfish I was and am..... I was lonely.... but no more as there is God by my side... and other people can help you too... I joined AA and there I learned how to love myself..... live one day at a time.... there is enough sorrow for today then to think about tomorrow....

D

Depleted

I am so lost and my heart is in so much pain. I have addictions and I just can't stop no matter how hard I try. Please someone..... Help me
The someone who can help you is named Jesus. Cry out to him. Say the same thing you wrote here to him. Even fill in the ellipsis. (The .... if you don't know what ellipsis meant.)

Good news! You are right. You can't stop no matter how hard you try. He is our strength, because we cannot.

And when you get to that place, he will reach in and take you on to how to stop the addictions. I don't know which way he will do it for you. For me, I went to out-patient rehab. He lead the right people at the right time to get me to the right place. He has done the same thing for me in other ways too. But it all starts with, "I truly cannot, Lord. Will you give me the strength and knowledge I need so you can do it with me?"

And do not think that means when he says Yes, you sit on your butt and wait. Listen. He will give your mind what it needs to find where to get help for whichever addictions you have. It is effort on your part. BUT it is his strength in you to do it. All you have to do is go arm and arm with him through it.

And, do NOT get the idea that doing that is easy. It is the Valley of Death! It is hard, but the Lord gives us the strength to go through the hard.

Because we cannot, even when we try.

D

Depleted

It was all still a big pile of "what I do with a little assistance from God."

And it is still a big pile of "the sign of no salvation is slave to addiction."

I became an addict after I was saved. Dumb, I know, but it wasn't a sign I wasn't saved. It was a sign of how stupid I am.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Depleted, we are all subject to fall into sin. I returned to my old habits more than once, but finally, after realizing I couldn't stop doing anything on my own, I discovered that the Word of God actually did abide in me as written in 1John 2:14. I realized that I actually did have the mind of Christ to help me, as written in 1 Corinthians 2:16. I also realized that I actually could do all things through Christ, as written in Philippians 4:13. So, even though I went back to the things I used to do, I had given them to God, so I could take them back, but God always takes them away when I again give them to Him. My greatest comfort came from Philippians 4:4-13. I found that the bondage to those things no longer had the power to enslave me again, for God had truly delivered me from them forever.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
Oops, I meant to address that to Tiffany.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
Hi Tiffany, A Loving creator took the blame for His creation, it was the loving thing to do: for God to create us He had to die. It's written, "The Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." One obvious reason, knowing we would fail to be obedient, He had to resolve what to do, and since there is no time as we have here in eternity, it was accomplished from the beginning. Jesus came to fulfil what was written: accomplished in heaven: to demonstrate Love for us. He also said that He did not come for the righteous but for the sinners, for you and me and everyone else not cough up with themselves to think they are righteous as they are. Your cry and desire to overcome needs patience to wait on the Lord and that is where you will have patience, entering His presence with thanksgiving.
"All manner of sin shall be forgiven to man but rejecting the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven to man." Without the Holy Spirit we don't have life from the dead. We cant Love and forgive as God does, and He tells us that if we don't forgive we are not forgiven. If its any comfort for you to know, I have struggled with addiction more than you and most here. Does it bother me? yes, and I have suffered much in addiction as well. There is the beginning part of a study on my page, Journey to enter into rest, It's a long Journey but we have rest in Him on the Way as well, He is the Way and He is with us by His Spirit until the end. What maters is that we don't turn away from Him, but come to Him in our need. You are Loved more than you Know.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
"The secret of the Lord is with them that fear Him (admiration worship) and He will show them His covenant."
Overcoming the world and addiction is a change of heart by the Holy Spirit. We don't know God in our understanding, but in a new identity in Christ: living in His presence with thanksgiving, for the freedom we have in Him.
"He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the almighty."
The cost: the cross ends our old life: Grace enables us to do "One thing, forgetting what lies behind I go on," to know the Lord; exchanging our will and identity with Jesus who is always in fellowship with the Father.
Jesus left His will as our inheritance in the communion of the Last supper, "for the Joy that was set before Him endured the cross.". How it applies to us is described in His will, "Rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." "It's no longer I that lives but Christ, nevertheless I live yet not I but Christ that Lives in me." We live by His Life: Because I Live you shall live also. The new covenant is about an exchange of Life with God. There is no I, in the Lords prayer, our life: is about His Life with us: Our Father... give us...forgive us, lead us, deliver us... "Having been united with Christ in His death, we shall live by His Live." We may have gone over the, "One thing needful," to quickly: Grace is God's influence: by His Spirit with us, "You shall have power after the Holy Spirit is come on you, and you shall be witnesses of Me." A witness has seen the Lord. "Having the eye of your understanding enlightened, that you may know." "Now we know in part, but then we shall know fully."
"The Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with us all."

Fidel

Apr 3, 2018
1 Corinthians 10:13 (KJV) There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

God bless you!

Troubled65

Feb 22, 2018
Sorry but my take on this is that you can quit anything with the help of the Christ you serve.........when you get to the point you really want to actually desire to please him more than pleasing yourself. Fasting is the weapon to use to overcome. It you will seek him with your whole heart, you will find the freedom that you desire. There is no sin that is known to man that cannot be overcome, but it will require your complete desire to overcome, and your obedience to him rather than self.
Many people are oblivious to the "inventors of evil things". (All I can safely say about that)

Remember when Peter rebuked the Lord for saying he was going to be killed? Who did the Lord rebuke? It wasn't
Peter...it was satan. The Lord didn't rebuke Peter, because He knew it was not Peter who was speaking. Just like he planted thoughts in Judas' mind to betray the Lord.

Be at all times aware of your thoughts. IF they don't line up with God's Word, bring it captive. I like to image it
being smashed like a bug under my feet. Remember Paul's admonition to beware of evil workers. We are in a real war!!!!

Troubled65

Feb 22, 2018
Tiffany sweetheart we are in a very real war. I don't know what things are stumbling you, but I want to help you to fight
back. There are evil workers who Paul warned us about in Philippians 3:2. These serve the devil and their only job is
to wage war against us. They have very powerful tools at their disposal. (Chemical and Technological) What you must
do is first, try to see if fresh air will help. I know that sound stupid, but it is helpful if you are being attacked with their
chemicals. If it is technological, that is a lot harder. You will find God's advice in Matthew 5:29-30 and again in Mark 9:43-48.
Also being constantly aware of your thoughts. Bring them captive to the obedience of Christ. If your thoughts are not
lining up with God's Word, they are not coming from the Holy Spirit that indwells you. Remember when Peter rebuked the
Lord for saying He would be crucified? Who did the Lord rebuke? It wasn't Peter, but satan. The devil can plant thoughts
in our minds and it is very difficult to counter them. Distract yourself with something. Preferably nothing electronic!!!!
These "smart phones" and gadgets are tools the devil's group use to alter our minds.

May God help you to be victorious over the devil's schemes.