PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I don't like that if someone requotes a post of someone's, they can totally change that post to make it say what THEY want it to say..Like this, for example:

LOL

Fours hours of edit time is more than enough. A whole thread could take place in that time. If you know you are prone to making such huge errors you need to take responsibility for being more silly.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
"Fours more"????? If this had been an important post, don't you wish you had a bit more time to go correct it?

I'm sending this to you quickly, so that you just might have a chance to do that.
Haha, oops. No, I am sure everyone knew what I meant, even though I made an error and did not catch it. Ever since I reinstalled Windows, my grammar check has not been operational. I do miss it.

Feb 7, 2015
This site is roughly 15 years old. Everything they have set in place now has been decided on from years if experimentation. It Has been tried and that is Why 5 minutes is in place.
"From years if experience"????

See, we all need more time with just about every post.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
They don't even give you 5 full minutes. Many times I've gone back after 3 minutes, and the edit time was gone..

I understand admins position, but I have to say, I don't think adding 5 or 10 minutes to the existing 5 minutes would have much of a detrimental effect, and it would give a LITTLE more time to make a correction.

Numerous times I just couldn't make the changes I wanted in the allotted time. This is especially true with using a smartphone instead of a computer. Between the autocorrect feature on the phone messing with you, and the small screen and typing, mistakes happen a lot and are tough to fix in time.

Maybe admin could just add a couple of minutes?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I don't like that if someone requotes a post of someone's, they can totally change that post to make it say what THEY want it to say..Like this, for example:

LOL
That is why the link back should never be removed from the original post :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It is true that once five minutes pass your time is up. You do not get one extra second. As soon as you post, it says you posted one minute ago. From then to sixty seconds, you can edit your post with no little note attached to your post saying you edited it, and giving the time, which happens after the first sixty seconds pass until the five minute mark is reached. Longer posts take longer to proof read, but are also less likely to be read by others, depending on the subject matter and the people involved. I generally like to keep my posts short and to the point :)

Feb 7, 2015
I understand admins position, but I have to say, I don't think adding 5 or 10 minutes to the existing 5 minutes would have much of a detrimental effect, and it would give a LITTLE more time to make a correction.

Numerous times I just couldn't make the changes I wanted in the allotted time. This is especially true with using a smartphone instead of a computer. Between the autocorrect feature on the phone messing with you, and the small screen and typing, mistakes happen a lot and are tough to fix in time.

Maybe admin could just add a couple of minutes?
Anything less than at least 15 minutes more would simply be a waste of time resetting.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
They don't even give you 5 full minutes. Many times I've gone back after 3 minutes, and the edit time was gone..
It may say three minutes ago when it is actually one second short of four minutes ago, so by the time you make corrections, if it takes you longer than sixty one seconds, yes, by the time you go to repost the corrections, your time will have expired :(

Feb 7, 2015
I proofread books for people. And, trust me, you can sometimes go back over a passage three or four times, and STILL miss something.

Jan 24, 2009
I proofread books for people. And, trust me, you can sometimes go back over a passage three or four times, and STILL miss something.
I've found spelling errors and missing words in books that I've purchased...

Feb 7, 2015
"From years if experience"????

See, we all need more time with just about every post.
Did you guys notice that I even made a mistake in my quoting Ugly? (the word, "experimentation") I didn't notice it myself until long past time to correct it.

Jan 24, 2009
Did you guys notice that I even made a mistake in my quoting Ugly? (the word, "experimentation") I didn't notice it myself until long past time to correct it.
That's why we need 4-6 hours. :p

Not.

Feb 7, 2015

I've found spelling errors and missing words in books that I've purchased...
That's how I got started. I bought a friend's book for $22.50, and showed him 311 serious errors in it........ there were actually nearly 500 when the minor things were taken into account.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I know. Especially because the mind automatically fills in many blanks and corrects mistakes (which works in our favor when other gloss over the mistake, too :D). Also, when we write something, we can read it as if it we had written what we thought we had and repeatedly completely miss the error.

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
Fours hours of edit time is INSANE. A whole thread can happen in that time. If you know you are prone to making such huge errors you need to take responsibility for being more careful.
I post on other forums unrelated to Christianity and some of them allow editing the first 24 hours. Four hours is not "INSANE".

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Please make the post edit time at least four hours and preferably six. It often takes a hour of two for us to realize we made a mistake.

Yes, I use the Preview Post a lot. But since humans are fundamentally imperfect, it sometimes takes more than 3 minutes to realize we made an error.
And with the preview button right next to the post button, it's easy to hit the wrong one.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Do your posts on a word-processor program or as a draft email first.

That would work except that copy/paste from word processor to post window often inserts formatting errors, requiring laborious correction that often doesn't actually correct the problem.

W

wwjd_kilden

Yup.... haven't done it with books, but with group work at school.
I remember us printing two of the pages four times before we finally got the last error out... which makes me wonder how many errors were left on the remaining pages :p

PS: I recently finished reading 1984 ... sadly they only had the Norwegian edition at my library
Somewhere in the book I suspect the original English word was "disjointed" (speaking disjointed)
the Norwegian book said "leddløs" ... now ledd means joint, as in the body part .... leddløs would mean without joints .....

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012

Thank you for the explanation. I think an hour edit time would still be reasonable.

Why not try it for a month and see if there are many complications from it?
I would say, allow edits until another user posts in the thread.

Feb 7, 2015
I would say, allow edits until another user posts in the thread.
So, if you posted to let me know of an error in my post, the very act of you posting would keep me from fixing it?