PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE More edit time.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
So, if you posted to let me know of an error in my post, the very act of you posting would keep me from fixing it?
Pretty much :)

but that's the way it is now, isn't it?

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Besides, your posts are so full of errors I wouldn't know where to start

JUST KIDDING :)!

T

Tinuviel

I agree that the edit time is a bit short (I think even 10 or 15 minutes would be nicer) but I can TOTALLY see why it would be a bad deal to extend it...lots of messy communications, people changing their minds and their posts and causing hosts of misunderstandings.

Jan 24, 2009
That would work except that copy/paste from word processor to post window often inserts formatting errors, requiring laborious correction that often doesn't actually correct the problem.
Try using an email draft then. That's almost always how I do it.

I use google email and don't have issues when copying/pasting to here.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I agree that the edit time is a bit short (I think even 10 or 15 minutes would be nicer) but I can TOTALLY see why it would be a bad deal to extend it...lots of messy communications, people changing their minds and their posts and causing hosts of misunderstandings.
Not to mention the fracas in the Streams of Consciousness and Thought thread every time the post count reaches a multiple of 10,000. People who don't make the (x times 10,000) post are deleting their posts for the next five minutes to get their late posts back up to the winning one. If the edit time were extended to HOURS... I shudder to think about the carnage that would ensue.

G

GaryA

Please make the post edit time at least four hours and preferably six. It often takes a hour of two for us to realize we made a mistake.

Yes, I use the Preview Post a lot. But since humans are fundamentally imperfect, it sometimes takes more than 3 minutes to realize we made an error.
Use the Advanced editor and 'Preview Post' until you get it like you want it. Then, 'Submit Reply'.

:)

G

GaryA

It really is our responsibility to proof-read our posts, etc. ( i.e. - get it like we want it ) before we post.

The race-against-the-five-minutes - for me - usually happens when I post something - look at it - read it - and, somehow it did not turn out like I had in mind - even after using 'Preview Post' and proof-reading it before posting it. Even 'Preview Post' sometimes does not "do justice" for the final post - because, it does not render the post "exactly" like it will look when it is finally posted. ( The width changes - which can alter what it will actually look like in the posted version. )

If you should post - only to discover that you will then need a lot more than five minutes to "make it right" -- copy what you have so far - delete the post - and start over with what you copied.

:)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
And with the preview button right next to the post button, it's easy to hit the wrong one.
If you hit the wrong button and too many corrections need to be made or you are not sure about it, simply copy your post and then DELETE IT. Then paste your post back into the text box, and carefully proof read it before posting it again with corrections. Or not. Maybe you will have changed your mind entirely and decide against posting it at all :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I post on other forums unrelated to Christianity and some of them allow editing the first 24 hours. Four hours is not "INSANE".
I beg to differ. Even an hour is crazy. Four is ludicrous :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
So, if you posted to let me know of an error in my post, the very act of you posting would keep me from fixing it?
If you knew how it worked then you could PM instead. Besides, the idea of allowing edits until someone posts is not fair either. I could spend an hour composing a response and in that time the OP could have changed their post ten times without my knowing it :p

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
If you should post - only to discover that you will then need a lot more than five minutes to "make it right" -- copy what you have so far - delete the post - and start over with what you copied.
If you hit the wrong button and too many corrections need to be made or you are not sure about it, simply copy your post and then DELETE IT. Then paste your post back into the text box, and carefully proof read it before posting it again with corrections. Or not. Maybe you will have changed your mind entirely and decide against posting it at all :)
Yeah, I figgered that copy/delete/start over thing out of necessity :)

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
I make mistakes too, but it's not that big of a deal. It's probably mostly spelling mistakes right?

If you make a mistake, you can always quote yourself and just say you made a mistake and it should read _____. How hard would that be? Are we making a mountain out of a mole hill? :)

Z

Zi

Some really are evil and nasty when someone makes a simple error.. would be nice to have more time... Why does everyone have to second guess and belittle on here.. this is suggestions right? We all are different,..
I make mistakes too, but it's not that big of a deal. It's probably mostly spelling mistakes right?

If you make a mistake, you can always quote yourself and just say you made a mistake and it should read _____. How hard would that be? Are we making a mountain out of a mole hill? :)

May 18, 2017

Most sites don't restrict your edit time.

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016
Some really are evil and nasty when someone makes a simple error.. would be nice to have more time... Why does everyone have to second guess and belittle on here.. this is suggestions right? We all are different,..
Hi Zi,

I'm sorry if you thought I was belittling you......I apologize if I hurt you or anyone else who thought that.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never read on a thread here where someone made fun of a typo unless in jest. But it wouldn't surprise me if it does happen.

But how often does that happen and are we so soft-shelled that someone making fun of a clerical error would crush us?

And no I'm not second guessing anyone either, so again if you thought that I do apologize.

All I can say is that the request has been made, the moderator saw the request and explained why it's not a good idea to allow for longer edit time.

So why do we continue on after Oncefallen has already give
n the reason why CC limits the time for a post to be edited? His reasoning makes a lot of sense.

So that's why I asked if we're making a big deal out of something so minor. We can easily fix it on our end which is why I offered a solution.

And by the way, I had three mistakes on this post and had time to edit. :)

G

GaryA

Most sites don't restrict your edit time.
Oh - but this isn't just any site... :D:p:eek:

On this site, making a statement like the one quoted above can easily turn into an 8-month-long 3000-post debate on how it is that you know that most sites...

( :rolleyes: )

;)