Please recommend Bible teachers?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Blackpowderduelist

My friend says anyone who has the money can buy land, build a stadium, and hire football players, but that don't make them NFL.

L

lenna

@lenna
Boring don't bother me. Stopping short of the Gospel and robbing people who love God and want to see Jesus of their ability to tangibly connect with Jesus. We can hear Jesus when we read his word, we can touch him in our baptism, and we can touch him in his supper.
When I was younger I would say what ever you have to do to feel as though you are in communion with Jesus, even if you have to be baptized every day. Then I didn't realize that we can be baptized everyday by taking his supper every day, and that baptism is a one time deal, like a marriage ceremony. Why would anyone rob a believer of our only material contact with Jesus? To make communion with him nothing more than iconism is ... well I can only that it's evil.
when I was in my teens, I read a book by...I think he was a monk but not sure?...about how to 'feel' the presence of Jesus every day

I was still puzzled though. I have known people who do partake of the bread and wine every day. I don't and have actually passed on communal participation when I felt it would be hypocritical...but that's my own persuasion.

I have found through many ups and downs, not that I never have any now, that the word of God is its own 'presence' in our lives in that the Holy Spirit is right there with you to comfort, to teach, etc and sometimes even to convict

if you notice the 'signature' I have on my posts, that really works for me too. undeniably God in all He has created

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
How is the Apostles Creed a big red flag?
Have you read it?
With what of it do you disagree?
Apostle's Creed is a formal statement of belief. One who cites the Apostle's Creed is formally declaring that they believe that the "holy Catholic Church" in which the Roman Pontiff reigns supreme over is the true church of Christ.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Apostle's Creed is a formal statement of belief. One who cites the Apostle's Creed is formally declaring that they believe that the Holy Catholic Church in which the Roman Pontiff reigns supreme over is the true church of Christ.
Many like me say the holy unified church.

L

lenna

Apostle's Creed is a formal statement of belief. One who cites the Apostle's Creed is formally declaring that they believe that the "holy Catholic Church" in which the Roman Pontiff reigns supreme over is the true church of Christ.

the word 'Catholic' means universal here so don't sweat the small stuff

no one is swearing allegiance to the religious institution known as 'Catholic'

Definition of catholic
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 aoften capitalized : of, relating to, or forming the church universal

b often capitalized : of, relating to, or forming the ancient undivided Christian church or a church claiming historical continuity from it

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Do you believe this is true? :unsure:

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
when I was in my teens, I read a book by...I think he was a monk but not sure?...about how to 'feel' the presence of Jesus every day

I was still puzzled though. I have known people who do partake of the bread and wine every day. I don't and have actually passed on communal participation when I felt it would be hypocritical...but that's my own persuasion.

I have found through many ups and downs, not that I never have any now, that the word of God is its own 'presence' in our lives in that the Holy Spirit is right there with you to comfort, to teach, etc and sometimes even to convict

if you notice the 'signature' I have on my posts, that really works for me too. undeniably God in all He has created
Hello @lenna,

I read your signature....

Signature
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.
Without speech or language, without a sound to be heard, their voice has gone out into all the earth,

their words to the ends of the world. Psalm 19

It is true that all of Creation testifies of God but, ONLY the Holy Spirit knows the mind of God and can give us understanding of WHO He is.....

New Age worships Creation and claims it is worshipping God but, no they are not.

The Father God desires to be worshipped in Spirit and in Truth, He wants us to search for Him and know He does exist because all of Creation testifies of God.

With the empowering of God’s Holy Spirit, we are to testify of Jesus Christ in the Earth.

So, all of Creation and all Believers testify.......there is a God! Amen. :love:(y)

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
This is not true. There may seem to be no such thing, but there are some. They are few and far between but they are real.
Would you care to name a few as I would like to know who they are so I can study their modus operandi?

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
For a good solid meal that is backed up by scripture all the way go no further than any book written by Derek Prince. Although he died a few years ago, his books are spread all around the world through the dedication of his ministry. The Chinese church is particularly thankful for his teaching as Christian books are banned so he has had them transferred to USB drives.
Just correcting some mistakes in the original.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
by the 'they' I take it you mean those who say they do speak in tongues etc now?

there is plenty of confusion and wrong teaching in those areas and while I speak/pray in tongues myself, I am less than agreeable with much of what the NAR teaches or those who think God is giving them new revelations...which is one of the main ingredients of NAR

there is also wof...word of faith...been plenty of debates about that around here

undertaught and overzealous people can do alot of harm irregardless of their sincerity
Wof, wof. I like that. Watch out for the dog.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Would you care to name a few as I would like to know who they are so I can study their modus operandi?
You would reject it if I told you because of your already existing prejudice.

B

Blackpowderduelist

What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it? Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death? Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection, knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin; for he who has died is freed from sin. Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him. For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
Romans 6:1‭-‬11 NASB

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I agree with a lot of what you wrote in the above post, but am wondering about the line above.

Was that what the Holy Spirit told you to write? I am trying to be part of your Christian brotherhood now when I ask this.
Is the tone of that line what Jesus would say? :)
Chester, that is exactly what Lafftur does. She gives anyone who says something she doesn't like a thumbs down. Now, unlike the red X, which means "disagree," (I hope we can all disagree in love) she uses the thumbs down, over and over. That means "dislike!" Is she disliking the post, or the writer of the post, or both? Disliking is very strong and negative to me.

I think if you need to chastise someone, look at all those dislikes Lafftur gives out. I can't imagine anything more divisive. You can explain what you believe to someone who disagrees with you. They might not agree with you, but it is not a reflection of personal feelings for another. Dislike has loaded emotional overtones. I don't think I have ever used that emoji. But if someone posts something I disagree with, at least a discussion takes place.

It is very immature Christianity to constantly dislike everything someone posts. That describes her perfectly!

B

Blackpowderduelist

Chester, that is exactly what Lafftur does. She gives anyone who says something she doesn't like a thumbs down. Now, unlike the red X, which means "disagree," (I hope we can all disagree in love) she uses the thumbs down, over and over. That means "dislike!" Is she disliking the post, or the writer of the post, or both? Disliking is very strong and negative to me.

I think if you need to chastise someone, look at all those dislikes Lafftur gives out. I can't imagine anything more divisive. You can explain what you believe to someone who disagrees with you. They might not agree with you, but it is not a reflection of personal feelings for another. Dislike has loaded emotional overtones. I don't think I have ever used that emoji. But if someone posts something I disagree with, at least a discussion takes place.

It is very immature Christianity to constantly dislike everything someone posts. That describes her perfectly!
And the Holy Spirit tells her everything to say, even if she contradicts scripture.
Now my question is this, of the Holy Spirit directly tells you something, isn't it equal to scripture?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Back to the topic of books.

My first recommendation is the Bible. If you read 3 chapters of the OT and 1 of the NT daily, you will get through the Bible in a year. I got saved in 1980 and have read my Bible daily since then. I have read the Bible over 50 times, in English and also in French, Greek for the NT, some books of the OT in Hebrew, and I am also reading the NT in German. Stick to a version that is readable. If you like Shakespeare and flowery language, read the KJV. I can't understand that kind of language, so I read newer versions, from NASB and ESV, to HCSB. I am currently reading the NET with 66,000 footnotes which discuss word translations in the original Greek and Hebrew, as well as the Septuagint in Greek, grammar, geography and more! I've also read the Message and the NLT, but find them too much of a paraphrase, plus I found things that simply were wrong. You should hold off in paraphrases till you have read the Bible in English many times.

No matter what you decide about reading material, cultivate a daily Bible reading habit, and your walk with Christ will really grow! I cannot urge this enough!

I would also recommend Richard Foster's book on prayer. Dallas Willard has some really good books on spiritual disciplines and formation. I really grew, reading those 2 authors.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
And the Holy Spirit tells her everything to say, even if she contradicts scripture.
Now my question is this, of the Holy Spirit directly tells you something, isn't it equal to scripture?
It is NOT of God! In the OT the standard for a prophet (the Spirit told me!) was 100% right, every time. I was just reading in Jeremiah where some false prophet was rebuked by Jeremiah, and was told he would die, and soon after, the false prophet did!

The Word of God has to be the standard against which everything is judged. If someone says (the Spirit told me so!) that God told them something, and it contradicts or disagrees with something in the Bible, that person becomes a liar and a false teacher or prophet. Besides, anyone who constantly brags about the Spirit told them so, is lacking in humility and is vain. If I can't back up my beliefs with the actual Bible verses, I am either mentally lazy, or there is nothing that backs up my wrong doctrines or beliefs.

I'll tell you the Spirit talks to me a lot. But everything said is informed by my knowledge of the Bible. The Bible tells me the truth about life, God and everything else. And I would never back up my beliefs with "the Spirit told me so," in a forum like this. The Spirit points out things in the Bible to me. The Spirit reminds me of a Scripture. Of course we need the discernment of the Holy Spirit. But we also need to know and understand what the Bible says through daily reading of the Bible, not books or commentaries. However, I believe good teaching, good books, worship, service and prayer can enhance our spiritual walk with Christ. God called me to seminary, where I learned more than in 3 years than I had in the previous 25 years as a Christian. And now I am doing a PhD in theology, and it is amazing what I am learning! Everything I learn comes back to knowing the Bible!

The Holy Spirit never wants to be called out and bragged about. The Spirit is a behind the scenes person, and God as well. He never demands the glory. Anyone using him to brag of their connection to God, basically is humiliating the Holy Spirit and his role in the God-head!

Nebuchadnezzer

Feb 8, 2019
Do you believe this is true? :unsure:
Look at the history of the Apostles Creed and Nicene Creed.
Who authored them?
For whom were they authored for?
And who approved them?

Matthew 15:7-9
7You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
8 “‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;
9 in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”