Please suggest good Christian movies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Biya

Feb 7, 2019
What are the best Christian movies that you've watched? Or perhaps movies that moved you to tears or made you realize something about your spiritual life? I want to share and watch them with my church friends. Thank you!

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
I recommend
"Risen",
"The Case for Christ",
and the oldie but goodie "Ben Hur"

K

kaylagrl

God's Not Dead, excellent movie. And I agree, the Case for Christ, his books are excellent too!

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
God's Not Dead, excellent movie. And I agree, the Case for Christ, his books are excellent too!
kaylagrl, could you clarify which movie you are referring to? There is one called "God's Not Dead, a Light in Darkness" (2017), another called simply "God's not Dead" (2014). There is also a "God's not Dead2" (2016).

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
Hollywood Movies with Strong Christian Themes:
(1) "The Mission" (starring Robert DiNiro and Jeremy Irons)
Voted the Best Movie of all Time on a spiritual theme by the British Film Academy and its musical score was voted the 27th best of all time by the Hollywood Screen Actors Guild. It is based on the true story of Jesuit missionaries trying to convert an Amazon Indian tribe, while the Spanish and Portuguese are trying to enslave them. It is a little slow paced, but its conversion scene is the most powerful ever put on the screen; and the spiritual dilemma it poses is the most profound I've ever seen in a movie.

(2) "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" (starrubg Ingrid Bergman in what many critics label her best ever acting role)
Based on the true story of the most effective female Protestant missionary [to China] of all time, Agnes Aylward. And she had been told that, as an uneducated cleaning lady, she wasn't qualified to be a missionary!

(3) "The Shadowlands" (agreeing Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger)
Based on the true story of famed writer, C. S. Lewis's romance in later life with a former atheist who gets terminal cancer.
This very tender movie is the best movie on grief and its vulnerabilities ever made!

Christian Movies from Christian Studios [These are great, but lack the production values of the top 3 above]
(1) "Beyond the Next Mountain"
Despite its rather amateurish production values, it is my favorite Christian movie because of the amazing true story it tells about a little jungle boy from northern India who walks through the tiger -infested jungle to try to find the missionary who abandoned his tribe without giving them a Bible in their own language and without fully explaining the Christian life. Years later, this jungle boy grows up and studies to give his people the Bible in their own language--and much more!

(2) "The War Room"
The "war room" was a special closet a Christian woman used to wage spiritual warfare in prayer to regain the love and fidelity of her husband who was having an affair.

(3) "Courageous"
A great story about the trials of Christian police officers and their troubled families

C

claysmithr

I like "The Encounter" 1st movie and it's free on YT now.

Biya

Feb 7, 2019
I've watched the three God's Not Dead films. They're awesome! Thanks for the recommendation!

Biya

Feb 7, 2019
Hollywood Movies with Strong Christian Themes:
(1) "The Mission" (starring Robert DiNiro and Jeremy Irons)
Voted the Best Movie of all Time on a spiritual theme by the British Film Academy and its musical score was voted the 27th best of all time by the Hollywood Screen Actors Guild. It is based on the true story of Jesuit missionaries trying to convert an Amazon Indian tribe, while the Spanish and Portuguese are trying to enslave them. It is a little slow paced, but its conversion scene is the most powerful ever put on the screen; and the spiritual dilemma it poses is the most profound I've ever seen in a movie.

(2) "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" (starrubg Ingrid Bergman in what many critics label her best ever acting role)
Based on the true story of the most effective female Protestant missionary [to China] of all time, Agnes Aylward. And she had been told that, as an uneducated cleaning lady, she wasn't qualified to be a missionary!

(3) "The Shadowlands" (agreeing Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger)
Based on the true story of famed writer, C. S. Lewis's romance in later life with a former atheist who gets terminal cancer.
This very tender movie is the best movie on grief and its vulnerabilities ever made!

Christian Movies from Christian Studios [These are great, but lack the production values of the top 3 above]
(1) "Beyond the Next Mountain"
Despite its rather amateurish production values, it is my favorite Christian movie because of the amazing true story it tells about a little jungle boy from northern India who walks through the tiger -infested jungle to try to find the missionary who abandoned his tribe without giving them a Bible in their own language and without fully explaining the Christian life. Years later, this jungle boy grows up and studies to give his people the Bible in their own language--and much more!

(2) "The War Room"
The "war room" was a special closet a Christian woman used to wage spiritual warfare in prayer to regain the love and fidelity of her husband who was having an affair.

(3) "Courageous"
A great story about the trials of Christian police officers and their troubled families
Thank you for these recommendations! I haven't watched any of these yet but I already think they're amazing by the reviews you've written. Thank you thank you! :) God bless!

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Luther with Joseph Fiennes is the best film ever produced by a Christian studio.

Feb 28, 2019
Do you believe? (made me cry)
War Room
Heaven is for real
Miracles from Heaven
Hacksaw Ridge
Letters to God

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
I have to say I am very leery of any Christian film that has someone playing Christ with a speaking role, especially when and they are not quoting scripture but making up new dialog for Christ. Very iffy territory, disrespectful, speculative, and I think a wrong move for any Christian or Christian group to be involved in. We have all we need in the written Word of God.

Socreta93

Jul 28, 2015
The Case for Christ is one of the best I've seen. Warning, it's not full of action scene and dramatic moments, just a lot of dialogue about a man trying to disprove Christianity but the more he searches, the more evidence about Jesus he finds.
I can Only Imagine is a very good movie as well

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Patterns of Evidence (The Moses Controversy).
I am going to to see it this Tuesday. My friend saw it and said it is very good.

Dec 9, 2011
I Identified with some spiritual truths when I watched that movie called the matrix.