Poison

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
What does the bible say about using poison.
How different is using poison to kill someone than simply slaying them. Is there a difference?

Am just thinking of all the pesticide and herbicide use that goes on today. And maybe why God warned adam and eve about the tree of knowledge of good and evil, was that the fruit was poisonous. Some poisons are quick acting, but many are slow acting, and go right into the food chain. Which is why so many people die of cancer and horrible degenerative diseases these days.
For example if you use a bait to poison say slugs and snails, the birds that eat the slugs and snails will end up getting poisoned too, and the predators that eat the birds. That is why when killing meat for consumption, butchers dont go and poison the animals. These poisons can also get into the drinking water. And the air we breathe. Why not just kill the slugs and snails by hand.

Alcohol is also a poison. It might not work straight away but over time regular consumption ends up killing people.
You would think people would know better, but some people enjoy the intoxicating effects. But some people drink it cos they really want to die, or maybe kill a few brain cells.

Euthansasia also uses poison to kill people off. Its not like anyone who asks for euthansia gets a shot to the head. The thing with poisons is that it could actually taste good if its disgised in something else. Thats why most household poisons have a bitter taste put in them so babies and children dont accidently drink it.
But then Why would you even need to use poisons in your household, surely theres non toxic ways to do everything.

Anyway just wondering what the Bible has to say about it. As we know snakes can be poisonous and Jesus did call the Pharisees vipers.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
...maybe why God warned adam and eve about the tree of knowledge of good and evil, was that the fruit was poisonous.
Hi Lanolin, the fruit they ate wasn't poisonous to their bodies (after all, Adam lived to the ripe old age of 930), it was their disobedience to God's commandment that was "poisonous" (physically AND spiritually), to them, and to us, their progeny.

Also, here's some of the things that the Bible has to say about a certain kind of "poison".

Psalm 140
1 Deliver me, O LORD, from evil men;
Preserve me from violent men,
2 Who plan evil things in their hearts;
They continually gather together for war.
3 They sharpen their tongues like a serpent;
The poison of asps is under their lips.
...........................................................................Selah

Romans 3
9 We have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin;
10 as it is written,“THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;
11 THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS,
THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;
12 ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS;
THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD,
THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE.”
13 “THEIR THROAT IS AN OPEN GRAVE,
WITH THEIR TONGUES THEY KEEP DECEIVING,” “THE POISON OF ASPS IS UNDER THEIR LIPS” ;
14 “WHOSE MOUTH IS FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS” ;
15 “THEIR FEET ARE SWIFT TO SHED BLOOD,
16 DESTRUCTION AND MISERY ARE IN THEIR PATHS,
17 AND THE PATH OF PEACE HAVE THEY NOT KNOWN.”
18 “THERE IS NO FEAR OF GOD BEFORE THEIR EYES.”

James 3
6 The tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
7 For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race.
8 But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;

10 from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.​

~Deut

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Hi Lanolin, the fruit they ate wasn't poisonous to their bodies (after all, Adam lived to the ripe old age of 930), it was their disobedience to God's commandment that was "poisonous" (physically AND spiritually), to them, and to us, their progeny.

Also, here's some of the things that the Bible has to say about a certain kind of "poison".

Psalm 140
1 Deliver me, O LORD, from evil men;
Preserve me from violent men,
2 Who plan evil things in their hearts;
They continually gather together for war.
3 They sharpen their tongues like a serpent;
The poison of asps is under their lips.
...........................................................................Selah

Romans 3
9 We have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin;
10 as it is written,“THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;
11 THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS,
THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;
12 ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS;
THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD,
THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE.”
13 “THEIR THROAT IS AN OPEN GRAVE,
WITH THEIR TONGUES THEY KEEP DECEIVING,” “THE POISON OF ASPS IS UNDER THEIR LIPS” ;
14 “WHOSE MOUTH IS FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS” ;
15 “THEIR FEET ARE SWIFT TO SHED BLOOD,
16 DESTRUCTION AND MISERY ARE IN THEIR PATHS,
17 AND THE PATH OF PEACE HAVE THEY NOT KNOWN.”
18 “THERE IS NO FEAR OF GOD BEFORE THEIR EYES.”

James 3
6 The tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.
7 For every species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human race.
8 But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.
9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God;

10 from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.​

~Deut
Interesting, I guess the lie the serpent told was the poison to their tongues. Life and death is in the power of the tongue. Poison is something you have to actually eat. It touches your tongue.

I have sometimes thought, is it the words themselves or is it the way you say the words. Before we knew God had we ever cursed anyone with out tongues that they died from our poisonous lips. You might not know maybe God has forgiven us and blotted out those sins. But I have thought that maybe suicidal people had been poisoned by evil words or lies. Somewhere along the line they heard a lie and believed it, for example, I know of one case where a well known nz celeb commited suicide cos she was bulllied on twitter. Some horrible people kept telling her to kill herself. Although this actually happened in australia I dont want to give the impression that nzers are like that, cos we are not, nz actually does have a good human rights record compared to aussie in treating people in general for things like racism but still the fact is we actually have appalling rates of youth suicide and child abuse. We are actually meant to be a God fearing nation though our national anthem is actually referencing the God almighty.

We dont even have snakes in this country, or many predatory animals. Maybe a few poisonous spiders.

But the thing is, possums, original,y introdced from australia, have become a pest but the stupid thing instead of killing them and eating them or using their fur, the department of conservation choose to poison them with 1080 drops. And people protest about this cos that poison then affects all the rest of everything else in the forest.

M

Miri

I think the moral of this thread is, don’t drink poison! Lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think the moral of this thread is, don’t drink poison! Lol.
Or eat it.

Although you got to wonder about people who do and think it wont harm them. But then what about this verse mark 16:18

Does God actually give us immunity? But it doesnt mean we ought to go round poisoning other people and creation. .

M

Miri

Or eat it.

Although you got to wonder about people who do and think it wont harm them. But then what about this verse mark 16:18

Does God actually give us immunity? But it doesnt mean we ought to go round poisoning other people and creation. .

Deut 6 v 16. The bible also says we should not put God to the test!
Anyone who deliberately eats drinks poisen then expects to not be harmed
is an idiot!

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Look, we’re ALL born with “poison” ....

The poison is sin which is the serpent’s bite.....

Only Yeshua/Jesus has the cure... He is the bronze serpent lifted up on a pole..... He was judged for our sin and can heal us.

Thank You, Father..... You made a way for us when there was no way. :love:(y)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Look, we’re ALL born with “poison” ....

The poison is sin which is the serpent’s bite.....

Only Yeshua/Jesus has the cure... He is the bronze serpent lifted up on a pole..... He was judged for our sin and can heal us.

Thank You, Father..... You made a way for us when there was no way. :love:(y)
Maybe that venom was in that fruit and once Eve ate it, she got infected or contaminated as it was, in the blood and so did Adam. Then it passed down to their children, although it kinda affected Cain more than Abel. Its like how FAS is passed down to offspring if the mother drinks alchohol while pregnant.. FAS is fetal alcohol syndrome.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Maybe that venom was in that fruit and once Eve ate it, she got infected or contaminated as it was, in the blood and so did Adam. Then it passed down to their children, although it kinda affected Cain more than Abel. Its like how FAS is passed down to offspring if the mother drinks alchohol while pregnant.. FAS is fetal alcohol syndrome.
Cain is the son of satan. Their act of betrayal when they ate the forbidden fruit was a sexual act.

The antidote for the poison is the blood of Jesus.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Cain is the son of satan. Their act of betrayal when they ate the forbidden fruit was a sexual act.

The antidote for the poison is the blood of Jesus.

Ok havent watched the vid, but then can you explain how Abel was conceived then.
Are you saying eve had relations with satan. Or that adam and eves sexual relations produced cain.

Could adam and eve have reproduced asexually...after all...Eve was made out of adams rib. IF eve had wanted another child, or theyd wanted a third helper, could they have asked God and He would have made another out of Adams spare ribs? Or Eves hair...

Or was it cain was conceived in lust, abel in love. How do we know what the difference is. I mean, do we know the difference between having sex and making love. Or is it the same thing. Otherwise is it everyone whos had sexual relations has been poisoned?

After all Jesus was not conceived out of any fleshly male female sexual relations. He was sinless right from birth.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi @Lanolin, et al, here's what the Scriptures have to say.

Genesis 4
1 Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD.”

Eve told us, "I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD". So, if Satan was the father of Cain, the second 1/2 of v1 above tells us that, not only did God know about it, He was behind it* :oops:

*(remember that it was God who, from the beginning, established that marriage was to be between one man and one woman such that they would become one flesh .. e.g. Genesis 2:21-24; Mark 10:6-9, who taught that the marriage bed was to remain pure, as well that fornicators and adulterers would be judged .. e.g. Hebrews 13:4 .. judged immediately, in fact, under the Law of Moses in OT Israel, by stoning .. e.g. Leviticus 20:10; cf John 8:3-5).

Fortunately, the Bible makes it clear that Adam was the father of Cain was, not Satan (see the first half of Genesis 4:1 above).

~Deut

1 Thessalonians 4
3 This is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality;
4 that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,
5 not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
Ok havent watched the vid, but then can you explain how Abel was conceived then.
Are you saying eve had relations with satan. Or that adam and eves sexual relations produced cain.

Could adam and eve have reproduced asexually...after all...Eve was made out of adams rib. IF eve had wanted another child, or theyd wanted a third helper, could they have asked God and He would have made another out of Adams spare ribs? Or Eves hair...

Or was it cain was conceived in lust, abel in love. How do we know what the difference is. I mean, do we know the difference between having sex and making love. Or is it the same thing. Otherwise is it everyone whos had sexual relations has been poisoned?

After all Jesus was not conceived out of any fleshly male female sexual relations. He was sinless right from birth.
When adam and eve ate the forbidden fruit, the spiritual seed of satan was sown in them. That's why they had twins. Cain was the son of satan while abel is their true son. Maybe this explains my observation of twins even today. It is a genetic flaw that is also Biblical. If adam and eve did not eat the fruit maybe there will be no twins today. I have observed that in most twins, the other one is normal while there is something wrong with the other. What I mean something wrong is that he or she is usually a homosexual, a bisexual or someone promiscuous like satan himself.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
When adam and eve ate the forbidden fruit, the spiritual seed of satan was sown in them. That's why they had twins. Cain was the son of satan while abel is their true son. Maybe this explains my observation of twins even today. It is a genetic flaw that is also Biblical. If adam and eve did not eat the fruit maybe there will be no twins today. I have observed that in most twins, the other one is normal while there is something wrong with the other. What I mean something wrong is that he or she is usually a homosexual, a bisexual or someone promiscuous like satan himself.
What???

Its not said cain and abel were twins, you are getting mixed up with Jacob and esau.
My brothers are twins. And I dont observe anything like that in them. My cousns are twins too. Are you saying my family is abnormal? And no my mother and aunt didnt take any fertility drugs or anything like that.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Hi @Lanolin, et al, here's what the Scriptures have to say.

Genesis 4
1 Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, “I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD.”

Eve told us, "I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD". So, if Satan was the father of Cain, the second 1/2 of v1 above tells us that, not only did God know about it, He was behind it* :oops:

*(remember that it was God who, from the beginning, established that marriage was to be between one man and one woman such that they would become one flesh .. e.g. Genesis 2:21-24; Mark 10:6-9, who taught that the marriage bed was to remain pure, as well that fornicators and adulterers would be judged .. e.g. Hebrews 13:4 .. judged immediately, in fact, under the Law of Moses in OT Israel, by stoning .. e.g. Leviticus 20:10; cf John 8:3-5).

Fortunately, the Bible makes it clear that Adam was the father of Cain was, not Satan (see the first half of Genesis 4:1 above).

~Deut

1 Thessalonians 4
3 This is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality;
4 that each of you know how to possess his own vessel in sanctification and honor,
5 not in lustful passion, like the Gentiles who do not know God.
Well thats good and clear, i suppose tinkerbell says one thing, but the Bible actually says another. I'm gonna go with the Bible.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
What???

Its not said cain and abel were twins, you are getting mixed up with Jacob and esau.
My brothers are twins. And I dont observe anything like that in them. My cousns are twins too. Are you saying my family is abnormal? And no my mother and aunt didnt take any fertility drugs or anything like that.
It is just an observation and not really a fact. Not all twins are like that but many of them.

There are twins who are not born at the same time. The other twin can be born weeks or months after the first.

1 John 3:12, ESV: "We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous." 1 John 3:12, KJV: "Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother.

Genesis 4: 1-2

1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

► We can clearly see that Eve thought she had received a man ‘from the LORD’ because she was unaware of where Cain came from (having yet ‘to know’ or ‘have sexual intercourse’ with Adam). She was beguiled with the impregnation of Cain by the serpent. The text is very clear that she againbare Abel when Adam officially knew his wife.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Maybe that venom was in that fruit and once Eve ate it, she got infected or contaminated as it was, in the blood and so did Adam.
As already noted in post #2, there was no poison in the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

If you are really concerned about poison, make sure the SVR (Sluzhba vneshney razvedki Rossiyskoy Federatsii ) or the FSB (Federal'naya sluzhba bezopasnosti Rossiyskoy Federatsii ) does not target you.:cool:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
As already noted in post #2, there was no poison in the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

If you are really concerned about poison, make sure the SVR (Sluzhba vneshney razvedki Rossiyskoy Federatsii ) or the FSB (Federal'naya sluzhba bezopasnosti Rossiyskoy Federatsii ) does not target you.:cool:
Um really, then why did God say not to eat of it, because they will surely die.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
It is just an observation and not really a fact. Not all twins are like that but many of them.

There are twins who are not born at the same time. The other twin can be born weeks or months after the first.

1 John 3:12, ESV: "We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous." 1 John 3:12, KJV: "Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother.

Genesis 4: 1-2

1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

► We can clearly see that Eve thought she had received a man ‘from the LORD’ because she was unaware of where Cain came from (having yet ‘to know’ or ‘have sexual intercourse’ with Adam). She was beguiled with the impregnation of Cain by the serpent. The text is very clear that she againbare Abel when Adam officially knew his wife.
Not Really, it seems you adding to scripture here. Sorry, not convinced.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Um really, then why did God say not to eat of it, because they will surely die.
It was their sin of DISOBEDIENCE for which the penalty was death (physical and spiritual). That tree was there simply for testing them. The fruit may have been perfectly fine.