(POLL) What Is Christmas?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What is Christmas?

• A time to be merry and give

• A time where companies make most their sales

• A time to believe in Santa Clause

• The day Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem

• It is a Pagan holiday

• It's a mixture of things above

• It is what you make it

• I don't know

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Christmas is the time that is set aside in our generation for being with family and enjoying the secular side of the holiday with Santa, gifts, fudge, decorations and whatever we can cram into this wonderful time.

It is also a time to hear "Christmas" hymns which so eloquently put forth the gospel for many who would not hear it otherwise. A time to remember the birth of the baby that was "born to raise the sons of earth, born to give them second birth" ("Hark the Herald Angels Sing") To review and think on those events which was the preview of the amazing grace to come.

Jesus Christ, the reason for the season, is the center at my house, but we love the glitz and glitter, the silly music and the old movies that get rolled out every year at this time. We can honor Christ and still enjoy the sights, sounds and love that are around us.

My Pilgrim ancestors would probably put us in the stocks. Yet they had their own celebrations in their own way.
I say let evreryone be guided by their own conscience and not be "holier than thou" about it when the moralists disagree.

TastyWallet

Aug 18, 2016
www.thebereantest.com
Regarding pagan origins:

This is a great example of the genetic fallacy. It's like saying that the Volkswagen is evil because it originated from Germany during the Nazi regime. You have to think about modern day context. Do you really think that our intent is to worship pagan idols by decorating our tree, putting presents underneath, or celebrating Christ's birth on December 25th? Of course not.

Dec 17, 2018
Well,

I find it strange that many Protestants today celebrate it, when many in the early days didn't recognize any other day as special than the Lord's Day, or the Christian Sabbath. The argument in the day wasn't necessary about any sort of pagan origins, but that our worship should be regulated by the word of God alone and not from some invention of our own. Christmas was seen and did indeed come from Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox beliefs than anything, although Lutherans and Anglicans do celebrate it.

It reminds me of depictions of Jesus in images. There use to be a common agreement among Protestants that any depictions or representations of any person of the Godhead was a violation of the second commandment, which it is. It was more of a Roman Catholic/Eastern Orthodox thing to have images and icons for worship. Nowadays, most Christians have no problem with these images.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
I think it would be wonderful if we could turn time back to the second century and redo the church based strictly on the word of the Lord. Christmas and Easter was started by men who said the Jews were evil because they rejected Christ so anything they did was wrong. They had no idea that it wasn't Jewish to celebrate the feasts but Godly. They were sure they could do things much better than God, anyway.

The problem was that they didn't know beans when it came to what scripture said, scripture was OT. The Jews did know. So Christian Jews who knew had read letters to he churches we call scripture and only some followed ceremonial law, but all followed God's plan for celebrating how God saves us, the seven feasts.

All I have read of those feasts seem to me to be a celebration so much more Godly than the ones men decided on. They still don't have the negatives our celebrations have developed. They seem so superior, to me, to our celebrations. I wish we could turn time back and use the celebrations God planned for us.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I think it would be wonderful if we could turn time back to the second century and redo the church based strictly on the word of the Lord. ...

The problem was that they didn't know beans when it came to what scripture said, scripture was OT.
Peter disagrees with you... 2 Peter 3:16, writing of Paul: He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

"Other Scriptures"... meaning Peter thought of Paul's letters as Scripture... in his own time, which preceded the second century by about 40 years.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Peter disagrees with you... 2 Peter 3:16, writing of Paul: He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.

"Other Scriptures"... meaning Peter thought of Paul's letters as Scripture... in his own time, which preceded the second century by about 40 years.
Neither Peter or Paul spoke against the word of God, NT or OT.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Neither Peter or Paul spoke against the word of God, NT or OT.
You missed the point, apparently. You claimed, "scripture was ot". In the second century, Paul's writings were also considered Scripture.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
You missed the point, apparently. You claimed, "scripture was ot". In the second century, Paul's writings were also considered Scripture.
So?

L

LadyInWaiting

To me, Christmas is the day we have decided to celebrate the birth of Christ. It may not be the right date, but that doesn't really matter. I think the Lord enjoys for us to celebrate his birthday here on Earth. My family worships at home, we have some birthday cake and sing him the Happy Birthday song. Jesus is our brother...so why not treat him like a member of the family?

Easter is also important. But I think they are both equally important/significant. In Easter, we celebrate the resurrection and Jesus' sacrifice for us. In Christmas, we celebrate the gift that God gave us. He gave us his son, a king, born in a manger. So I think that one holiday celebrates the gift God gave us and the other the gift Christ gave us. Christ had free will. He prayed for that cup to be taken away but only if it was God's will. He could have told the Father no but he did not.

I do agree with the above poster that people should celebrate Easter more. Both holidays are beautiful in their own right.

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018
Christmas is a time we celebrate Jesus' birthday. with decorating, with singing, with worship, with giving ...pretty much showing love , Jesus is Love. we also need to continue that after his birthday date, ( even tho we don't know the exact date, we still can celebrate, he doesn't mind it being a date we may have wrong.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
ok for those of you who voted 'other' what exactly is that 'other'????

you guys have this 'other' saved holiday for the meaning of it??

rare holiday?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Pagan Christmas zombie thread, back from the graaaaaaaaave!

zombiesanta.jpg

We haven't had many "Christmas is pagan!" threads this year. In fact we haven't had ANY in some forums. So we must resort to the Halloween tradition of digging up zombie threads to fill the gap.

Seeker47

Aug 7, 2018
I have wonderful memories of Christmas, growing up. Plus, I also got to celebrate Orthodox, or Ukrainian Christmas 13 days later, with my father's family, including most of my cousins. (Now 14 days later!) So double the fun.

I also saw the difference between a non religious Christmas and a religious one. Mainly my grandmother saying a 10 minute grace in a language I didn't understand, that usually ended with her weeping, and me almost passing out from hunger and all the delicious smells.

Later, when I came to realize my need for God, besides my new Bible, I bought a Christmas Carol book, with music and lyrics to all the popular carols. Then, I went to Midnight Mass a few times with Catholic relatives and friends. The piety fascinated me.

After I got saved, it became even more important to me. As a music teacher, I taught my students carols and put on an annual Christmas concert. I lived in a very multi-cultural school district, I always explained the words, like manger and angels and then, a children's Bible story about the Incarnation with pictures. I pray seeds were planted, that grew to faith by the power of the Holy Spirit!

Besides, who couldn't like a season where songs with lyrics like "Hark the herald angels sing, glory to the newborn king" or "Joy the the world, the Lord is come!" played in malls everywhere!?

Oh right, the self righteous people who somehow think that celebrating Christmas is not a good outreach principle! Not! When I played in a 60 piece orchestra, with a 100 voice choir, live animals and drama, to a seasonal audience of 10,000 people, I watched literally 100s of people get saved every Christmas!

Just remember, Jesus is the reason for the season and you won't have any more issues with Christmas!
Your post reminded me of the long ago time when I got to participate in a Christmas presentation of Handel's Messiah with full orchestra and large choir. The reaction of the audience is a precious memory I still carry. That event changed me in some small way.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
So this is Christmas, and what have you done (8)

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
A time to be merry ad give

The birthday of Jesus

it is what you make of it