Pope Francis to Christians: Our common Baptism unites us

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
You do realize that water baptism along with the infilling of the Holy Ghost is consistently referenced. (Acts 2:38-41, 8:12-18, 10:44-48, 19:1-6, 22:16 Paul, 8:35-40 Eunuch, 16:28-33 Jailer and family) Also, Paul referred to water baptism in his epistles and was still commanding it be done 25 years after the Day of Pentecost. (Acts 19:1-6)
Strange you have never read the scriptures where Paul boasted about not baptizing people..

1 Corinthians 1: KJV
12 "Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. {13} Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? {14} I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. {16} And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other."

Now what kind of baptism was Paul talking about in 1 Corinthians 1 ? Yes he was talking about water baptism.. We see while reading the letters of Paul that he was baptizing many people with the baptism of the Holy Spirit again and again and again.. So Paul cannot be saying that he only baptized a few people with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.. So in the above he is talking about water baptism.. That's why He is thanking God that He baptized none of them except for the few mentioned..

The Works baptism of water baptism saves no one.. The baptism of the Holy Spirit that comes by believing Jesus and his way of salvation is what saves people..

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Strange you have never read the scriptures where Paul boasted about not baptizing people..

1 Corinthians 1: KJV
12 "Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. {13} Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? {14} I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. {16} And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other."

Now what kind of baptism was Paul talking about in 1 Corinthians 1 ? Yes he was talking about water baptism.. We see while reading the letters of Paul that he was baptizing many people with the baptism of the Holy Spirit again and again and again.. So Paul cannot be saying that he only baptized a few people with the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.. So in the above he is talking about water baptism.. That's why He is thanking God that He baptized none of them except for the few mentioned..

The Works baptism of water baptism saves no one.. The baptism of the Holy Spirit that comes by believing Jesus and his way of salvation is what saves people..
Paul was reprimanding some of the Corinthians that were boasting about who administered their water baptisms. His comment about thanking God that he baptized very few in their church was made because he was disgusted that his name may have been bandied about as something to be prideful about. Something to glean here as well is the record clearly shows that water baptisms were done in the singular name of Jesus.

Paul's reprimand has no bearing on whether one needs to be water baptized. We see this truth expressed, when just prior to writing the Corinthian epistle Paul advised the Ephesus disciples of their need to be water baptized in Jesus' name. (Acts 19:1-6)

The infilling of the Holy Ghost did not replace water baptism as many seem to believe. The scriptures relevant to the birth of the NT church show both are commanded and received. As everyone surely knows, God continues to add to the church daily. And there is no evidence that the requirements of repentance, water baptism and the infilling of the Holy Ghost have ceased.