Pray & pray & pray

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
I’ve seen some brothers & sisters in Christ whom I know, lose their zest in their walk with Christ because they have prayed and prayed and it seems to them that their prayers were not heard or not answered

In John 17 – Jesus prays to the Father, for himself, for the believers (v6 whom you gave me out of the world) and for the future believers (v20 My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one)
However Jesus says John 17:9 I pray for them (believers). I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.

I just would like your thoughts basing on the word of God on the few questions below.

1. What’s your definition of “to pray” & “prayer”?
2. How to pray?
3. What should we pray for?
4. Do all our prayers get answered? If no answer, should we persist & persist?
5. Should we pray for the world?

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
1 To pray, seek the Lord
2 From the heart, be honest
3 His will be done
4 No, sometimes the answer is wait, in his time; or he has better plan, yes we should keep praying depending on what its for
5 Yes, our cities, our enemies, leaders ect

Jul 29, 2012
Then they didn't love GOD for Love . They just wanted the wants of their heart

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
1 To pray, seek the Lord
4 No, sometimes the answer is wait, in his time; or he has better plan, yes we should keep praying depending on what its for
I read in Luke 18:1 about the parable of the persistent widow. Then Jesus told his disciples a parable (the persistent widow) to show them that they should always pray and not give up Luke 18:1 I do agree with you as well, that sometimes we have to sit quietly and wait.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
Then they didn't love GOD for Love . They just wanted the wants of their heart
Yes, that's so true. When we ask we have to look at the motives of our hearts. Is it a want or is it a need?
James 4:3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

We have a wonderful scripture which says God hears us
1 John 5:14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.

Matt 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
All our needs will be met if we only just seek Him and He will provide all our needs.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
I read in Luke 18:1 about the parable of the persistent widow. Then Jesus told his disciples a parable (the persistent widow) to show them that they should always pray and not give up Luke 18:1 I do agree with you as well, that sometimes we have to sit quietly and wait.
‬If the persistence of one widow moved an unjust earthly judge,* ‬how much more will the persistent prayers of an entire body of believers move their Lord Jesus,* ‬the righteous Judge*?

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
I think a lot of people don't realize that their prayers are completely selfish. Like someone praying they get a new car, or a new job making more money, or a bigger house. People will say, well these things will be used to support my family and this that and the other, but truly none of us are promised any of these things. To be alive, have one set of clothes, and a way to eat before starving is in itself a blessing. Anything beyond that is asking too much, unless it will work in a way that will glorify God and open the hearts of those who witness it.

I think Matthew chapter 6 would be a good chapter to read regarding prayer.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
I think a lot of people don't realize that their prayers are completely selfish. Like someone praying they get a new car, or a new job making more money, or a bigger house. People will say, well these things will be used to support my family and this that and the other, but truly none of us are promised any of these things. To be alive, have one set of clothes, and a way to eat before starving is in itself a blessing. Anything beyond that is asking too much, unless it will work in a way that will glorify God and open the hearts of those who witness it.

I think Matthew chapter 6 would be a good chapter to read regarding prayer.
Hi ForthAngel - I agree with you. In Matthew 6:8-15 Jesus taught us how to pray. Verse 11"Give us our daily bread" - refers to our daily needs.
People tend to pray for wants as you mentioned when it fact it should be needs.

Look at Jesus example of prayer - It was for the Father's will
"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will but as you will” Matt 26:39

Even looking at John 17 Jesus prayed to the Father asking Him to protect the believers so that they may be one & to sanctify them... Everything was spiritual and not material.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Hi ForthAngel - I agree with you. In Matthew 6:8-15 Jesus taught us how to pray. Verse 11"Give us our daily bread" - refers to our daily needs.
People tend to pray for wants as you mentioned when it fact it should be needs.

Look at Jesus example of prayer - It was for the Father's will
"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will but as you will” Matt 26:39

Even looking at John 17 Jesus prayed to the Father asking Him to protect the believers so that they may be one & to sanctify them... Everything was spiritual and not material.
25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

32 ... for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Just a few verses that stood out the most to me.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
1) Psalm 24v3-6

2) 1Cor 14v15

3) Everything that requires prayer...

4) Where prayer is concerned 'delay is NOT denial', so when (in God's Providence) an answer to our prayers is delayed it is always for a good reason and we see God's wisdom manifested (in the delay) when the answer does eventually come...1Thess 5v17...'pray without ceasing' until the answer comes!

5) Most definitely, especially for the ruler(s) and governing authorities in the country in which we live...1Tim 2v1-8, indeed Paul states it should be our number 1 priority!

Yahweh Shalom...

Oct 31, 2011
The book “Prayer Can Change Your Life” says you can pray ineffectively. They say that when we go into great detail about what the wrong is that we would like the Lord to set right, we are just reinforcing the wrong. It explains it by telling of a person who spent half an hour every day telling the Lord he had arthritis. So of course, the arthritis got worse. The Lord knows our needs, and asking for help with them once is sufficient then you leave it in the Lord’s hands. God says much repeating is not right' we need faith.

Instead, the book says, time needs to be spent on honestly finding the sins within us. The author feels that as we give our sins over to the Lord we have better communication with Him for God is Holy. He talks of fear, blaming, guilt, or lacking love. The book gives examples like one person who resented parents. As these resentments were given up through prayer, the answers to prayers happened. He also stresses what the Lord says about repeating. Once we give something up, we are to accept forgiveness and simply give it over with faith.

The author feels that many pray ineffectively for they don’t go to the “instruction book” (the scriptures) for instructions about prayer and follow what it says. He feels his book explains the right way to pray as scripture points the way.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Sounds like some good points Red. When I pray, it's more or less like I am talking to a friend or relative about stuff. I dunno if that's how it's meant to be, but it's how I have prayed even as a kid. If it's a relationship we have, I think we are safe just approaching Jesus for help the way we would if we were asking someone close to us for advice or help. That seems to eliminate repetition. I know I am guilty of overstating my case sometimes though, or when I am feeling desperate I tend to beg. Of course I'm no where close to perfect, and I am always learning and being reminded in subtle ways how everything is okay to just chill.

Jul 12, 2012
1. What’s your definition of “to pray” & “prayer”?
"Ask"
2. How to pray?
"acknowledgement, praise, for His will to be done, for teaching on His schedule, forgiveness, the heart to forgive, deliverance, and the heart to surrender everything." per Jesus's instructions.
3. What should we pray for?
Same answer as "how", for His will to be done. "that all should come to repentance"
4. Do all our prayers get answered? If no answer, should we persist & persist?
Only the ones that serve to complete His will as mentioned above.
5. Should we pray for the world?
No, just the all the people in it, the all flesh that was given to Messiah.

Peace.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
God wants us to pray from the heart.

The Lord's prayer gives us an example of how to pray, what to include in prayer. We don't use vain repetition, but rather use this as our guide.

Matthew 6:9-13

In this manner, therefore, pray:

“Our Father in heaven”
(We're addressing the Father with this prayer)

“Hallowed be your name”
(Give worship and praise to God)

“your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”
(We pray for God’s plan in our lives and the world. God’s will not our own will)

“give us today our daily bread.”
(We're encouraged to ask God for things we need - to depend on Him to provide for us)

“Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors”
(We must confess our sins to God and forgive others as God has forgiven us)

“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one”
(A plea for help in achieving victory over sin and a request for protection from the attacks of the devil)

Philippians 4:6-7: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"

1 Thess 5:16-18: "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you"

As for your question about persistently praying for the same thing, I've often wondered about this myself, like does it show a lack of faith if I keep praying for the same thing, when I should be trusting God heard me the first time? I know He often makes us wait. His will and timing is different to ours.

As I was typing that last bit, I came across this scripture.

James 1:2-8: "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways"

Last edited:

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
All of y'll who responded have got good points to prayer. And all believers should meditate on what we ask in prayer. Is it His will?
When I was a baby christian - I was wondering what is his will - thinking that it is like a ministry as I was told in the church I attended. I was running around like a headless chook trying to find out my "ministry". Many came to tell me "oh I see this in you, another I see that in you" - it caused confusion.
As I read the word more and more - I came to realise that His will is written in the bible. All the scriptures that tell me what I should do and how I should be is His will.
While being in the church - there was so much focus on the demon about what he is doing to believer's lives, that we spend 90% of the time in prayer rebuking and casting out the devil and mentioning his name and only 10% mentioning God in prayer. What a shame! When Jesus taught us to prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 - nothing was mentioned in there about rebuking the devil etc but instead to ask God to protect us.

After all that - my prayer life changed. I started looking more into the prayer that Jesus taught us Matthew 6:9-13 as Katy-follower (thanks Katy - good one) stipulated
Coming to him with a humble heart, leaving everything in his hands. talking to him, exalting him, giving thanks to him and be still and listen and wait. Asking him to do His will in my life so that my life can glorify Him.

As Katy mentioned in her post
Philippians 4:6-7: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus"

Many times we ask for needs eg: a new car - because indeed we may need a new car because the old one is broken down and can't be repaired and we need to go to work. We give it to God in prayer and then we get anxiety attacks because God has not brought a new car in the time that we want.
We have to learn to trust in God that everything will be down according to his time and purpose.
Sometimes God doesn't give according to the time we want because He wants us to learn to have patience and to trust in him.

Last edited:

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
Also I like to add - in Luke 18:1 - the parable about the persistent widow
"Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.
I believe the principle/moral of the parable is to tell us to always have communication with him in prayer and not give up.
It's not about being persistent in asking something.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
My definition of prayer: Spend time with God by talking & listening to Him in order to have an intimate relationship with Him

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Prayer for me is staying in constant touch with our Father. He does everything for us, and though we do not always see it clearly, we really cannot do anything without Him. Thank Him constantly. He is so good, so attentive, and He does hear every prayer, every thought, so if you think He has not answered, it just may be His answer is not what you asked because it was not in His will. Sometimes it is a matter of waiting on the Lord.