Praying in Tongues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Here are your words: "you clearly have no clue what you are talking about." That is not a request for evidence. It is a personal attack.

I don't respond to demands from people who don't demonstrate basic decency and respect.
I don't need your evidence.

To me, claiming that the gift of healing is exercised at the Lord's will and other gifts are not exercised at the Lord's will is just being clueless. It is my position yesterday, today and the days to come so don't even bother.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Ok, let's mind the context; the context of cessation is there:

1 Cor 13:8Charity never fails: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
No it is not has knowledge stopped? nope, or has it Vanshied away ? Nope. the context is LOVE not the ceasing of the gifts.

1cor 13 : 8
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
you do not use one or two veres in a chapter to build a context of a word that is not even there. No where is the word " cessation" there. the opening verse in chapter 13 is the context LOVE not that the gifts have stopped when that which is perfect come.

Love is said 7 times in this chapter and the last verse is :
13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

you pull out of this chapter the gifts have ceased? LOL

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
Which should alarm you, that if we have what Jesus said, and then it is changed by what Paul said, that like I mentioned the English translation is poor.
Obedient, I don't know what you are referring to? What did Paul change? Thank you.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
No it is not has knowledge stopped? nope, or has it Vanshied away ? Nope. the context is LOVE not the ceasing of the gifts.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
you do not use one or two veres in a chapter to build a context of a word that is not even there. No where is the word " cessation" there. the opening verse in chapter 13 is the context LOVE not that the gifts have stopped when that which is perfect come.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

You are the one who is out of context.
Has knowledge stopped? YES it has.

Jer 31:
31Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.
32It will not be like the covenant
I made with their fathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt—
a covenant they broke,
though I was a husband to them,f
declares the LORD.
33“But this is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after those days, declares the LORD.
I will put My law in their minds
and inscribe it on their hearts.
And I will be their God,
and they will be My people.
34No longer will each man teach his neighbor or his brother,
saying, ‘Know the LORD,’
because they will all know Me,

from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD.
For I will forgive their iniquity
and will remember their sins no more.”

In the new covenant, the knowledge should reside within the people and no one should appoint themselves to authority and say they have knowledge to teach others. So, knowledge ceased too.

Mar 28, 2016

No new knowledge. The existing knowledge in respect to exisiting prophecy. The perfect is still informing its hearers as our daily bread.

CS1

May 23, 2012
It really doesn't matter, whatever it is, it ceased in the first century.
no it did not and you have no proof that it has you think God has not moved what you don't see is why there was what seems as no powerful move of God . Yet many men were raised up and had seen great revivals and thousands saved. Spirit filled Christians is normative found in the New Testament and yes even the Old too.

The reason why it seems to not be as much seen was because of the Apostolic age. And the ending of the Persecution age of the church. This led to what is known as the Constantine church age. Christianity now was no longer persecuted the authentic conversion experience (born again) was not needed. They could be a “Christian and still pagan. That is why the Holy Spirit was not doing what HE did in the “early Church age and the Apostolic age , and the persecution of the church age. Thus Christian in name only. BUT through history The Holy Spirit did great works down through the ages what were called Movements. The list of movements and later known as awakenings are well documented. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit did not cease they were recorded by many church fathers

Barnabas, Clement, the Shepherd of Hermas, Ignatius, Polycarp, Diognetus and many more like Origen. Luther , Calvin, Charles and John Westley

The awakenings :

The Great Awakening, 1734-43

1739, George Whitfield's dramatic preaching

The Second Great Awakening, 1800-1840. James McGready , Charles Finney, Jeremiah Lanphier

The Great Prayer Meeting Revival, an estimated 1,000,000 people were added to America's church rolls, and as many as 1,000,000 of the 4,000,000 existing church members also converted.16

The Civil War Revival, 1861-1865. An estimated 300,000 soldiers were converted

The Urban Revivals, 1875-1885. Dwight L. Moody: conducted revivals throughout the British Isles where he spoke to more than 2,500,000 people. In 1875

Darwinism and higher criticism were gaining traction, and Moody became the first evangelist to come under attack--accused of making religion the opiate of the masses.

The Revivals of 1905-1906. Welsh Revival of 1904-1905

The Azusa Street Revival, 1906.

The Post-World War II Awakening.

Bill Bright began Campus Crusade for Christ.

1949, Billy Graham's distinguished career, which popularized evangelical Christianity for a new generation, exploded on the scene during his Los Angeles crusade sponsored by the Christian Businessmen's Committee.30 31 An estimated 180,000,000 people attended his nearly 400 crusades, and millions more viewed on television.32 College Revivals started as early as 1946, but when the prayer-based Wheaton College Revival of 1950 achieved national publicity, it sparked other college revivals throughout America.33

The Charismatic Renewal and Jesus Movement. 970 Asbury College Revival. Down through the ages men of God greater than those of us here in chat room did power things as God gave them ability. And you say the gifts have stopped. How prideful, how ill-informed, how arrogant, and yes how wrong you are.

I

IAm1

The Apostles raised the dead, why isn't that happening today like it happened before?
There are no genuine miracles today, not a single one. The tongues are all fake.
There are probably more miracles happening today than you realize. If we collected the thousands of accounts that have been witnessed to by missionaries and Christians worldwide, you might think that we are living in a world of miracles.

You would be more accurate in saying that you have not seen any genuine miracle today, not a single one. If this were the case, I would not be able to say the same.

“A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah”

CS1

May 23, 2012
Wrong. Moderation!
The difference, which you are unable to figure out, between challenging an unconfirmed claim and the Pharisees mockery, which you falsely accuse me of, which is what they did to Jesus to get him crucified, and so back at you, you're right in their camp, is they SAW the miracles and still denied.
As for your parroting the common and misuse if Jesus's words regarding a corrupt generation seeking a sign, as if that is applicable to any one who asks for confirmation of a claim.
You apparently believe every Johnny Come Lately. Joseph Smith, TV fake healers, Catholic popes thrive off people like you.
By the way, God told me, He just now told me you are wrong. Be careful. Dont challenge it. Don't deny it. Don't mock it.
Yep, He says you are wrong. And I just healed a man who was speaking gibberish!
you have an issue with the mormoms take it up with them I am not one. Two if your hate for catholics and their teaching is so much win them to the Lord with your ability to do so if you can even lead one to Christ. You mock and lambast the gifts of the Holy Spirit while mocking healing and the gifts of the Holy Spirit you are a Buffoon, and should be ashamed. You are very close to Blaspheming.

Mar 28, 2016
Barnabas, Clement, the Shepherd of Hermas, Ignatius, Polycarp, Diognetus and many more like Origen. Luther , Calvin, Charles and John Westley.
The difficulty with that is we do not know Christ after the private interpretation as oral tradition of men . Oral traditions as private interpretations of men have not ceased . Its the interpretation of God as it is written that has. Revelation is still the last chapter in the book of prophecy the Bible.

2 Peter 1:19-21 King James Version (KJV)We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

CS1

May 23, 2012
You are the one who is out of context.
Has knowledge stopped? YES it has.

Jer 31:
31Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD,
when I will make a new covenant
with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah.
32It will not be like the covenant
I made with their fathers
when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt—
a covenant they broke,
though I was a husband to them,f
declares the LORD.
33“But this is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
after those days, declares the LORD.
I will put My law in their minds
and inscribe it on their hearts.
And I will be their God,
and they will be My people.
34No longer will each man teach his neighbor or his brother,
saying, ‘Know the LORD,’
because they will all know Me,

from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD.
For I will forgive their iniquity
and will remember their sins no more.”

In the new covenant, the knowledge should reside within the people and no one should appoint themselves to authority and say they have knowledge to teach others. So, knowledge ceased too.
So knowledge has stopped, really with who, you? I guess wisdom is not needed anymore too. I guess growning in the grace and kowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ has stopped too? Sorry Peter 2 PET 3:18 IS NOT CONTEXTUAL ANYMORE The " NOOSE" has spoken.
what an unlearned statement to make. You rip out pages of biblical words that teach wisdom and knowledge from the word of God and the Leading of the Holy Spirt, Jesus our Lord and the very word of the Father. You are very prideful and wrong.

CS1

May 23, 2012
The difficulty with that is we do not know Christ after the private interpretation as oral tradition of men . Oral traditions as private interpretations of men have not ceased . Its the interpretation of God as it is written that has. Revelation is still the last chapter in the book of prophecy the Bible.

2 Peter 1:19-21 King James Version (KJV)We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
hey guy they were entrusted by God to write down what you read today known as the Bible. and you continue to bring up your strawman of private interpretation. None of us who see the Holy Spirits Gifts recorded in 1cor 12 to 14 chapters call it private interpretation. IT is well seen by all who can see.... with eyes .

Dec 12, 2013
The tragic truth......the only church in the N.T. that had an issue with the gifts and like today BOASTED of the ability to speak tongues, was the spiritually immature Corinthian assembly that had some 15 errors.........and it took over three chapters to correct their error.........many of the same errors are found within churches today that make a big deal of speaking in tongues and I am not saying this based upon bias and or a lack of info as I have many family and friends that attend these types of churches. Paul was clear and so is the verbiage found in the Corinthian letter.....if ONE is going to covet a GIFT Paul said to covet the BEST gift and tongues was not it........

I fully expect those that push tongues to argue against the truth..........

Fail, cease and vanish away are clear, so is the word perfect as applied to a 1st Century Greek speaking believer.

Super natural knowledge is no longer needed due to the completed bible
Prophecy is no longer needed due to the completed bible and the last BOOK of Prophecy
And tongues has devolved into some mumbo jumbo that does nothing for the hearer......

When one can stand and speak fluent Mandarin with zero training in an open assembly with another to translate for the sake of a Chinese visitor that does not speak ENGLISH then the true meaning of tongues as applied in the 1st Century will be evident.

Why is it so hard for the truth to be accepted.

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
no it did not and you have no proof that it has you think God has not moved what you don't see is why there was what seems as no powerful move of God . Yet many men were raised up and had seen great revivals and thousands saved. Spirit filled Christians is normative found in the New Testament and yes even the Old too.

The reason why it seems to not be as much seen was because of the Apostolic age. And the ending of the Persecution age of the church. This led to what is known as the Constantine church age. Christianity now was no longer persecuted the authentic conversion experience (born again) was not needed. They could be a “Christian and still pagan. That is why the Holy Spirit was not doing what HE did in the “early Church age and the Apostolic age , and the persecution of the church age. Thus Christian in name only. BUT through history The Holy Spirit did great works down through the ages what were called Movements. The list of movements and later known as awakenings are well documented. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit did not cease they were recorded by many church fathers

Barnabas, Clement, the Shepherd of Hermas, Ignatius, Polycarp, Diognetus and many more like Origen. Luther , Calvin, Charles and John Westley

The awakenings :

The Great Awakening, 1734-43

1739, George Whitfield's dramatic preaching

The Second Great Awakening, 1800-1840. James McGready , Charles Finney, Jeremiah Lanphier

The Great Prayer Meeting Revival, an estimated 1,000,000 people were added to America's church rolls, and as many as 1,000,000 of the 4,000,000 existing church members also converted.16

The Civil War Revival, 1861-1865. An estimated 300,000 soldiers were converted

The Urban Revivals, 1875-1885. Dwight L. Moody: conducted revivals throughout the British Isles where he spoke to more than 2,500,000 people. In 1875

Darwinism and higher criticism were gaining traction, and Moody became the first evangelist to come under attack--accused of making religion the opiate of the masses.

The Revivals of 1905-1906. Welsh Revival of 1904-1905

The Azusa Street Revival, 1906.

The Post-World War II Awakening.

Bill Bright began Campus Crusade for Christ.

1949, Billy Graham's distinguished career, which popularized evangelical Christianity for a new generation, exploded on the scene during his Los Angeles crusade sponsored by the Christian Businessmen's Committee.30 31 An estimated 180,000,000 people attended his nearly 400 crusades, and millions more viewed on television.32 College Revivals started as early as 1946, but when the prayer-based Wheaton College Revival of 1950 achieved national publicity, it sparked other college revivals throughout America.33

The Charismatic Renewal and Jesus Movement. 970 Asbury College Revival. Down through the ages men of God greater than those of us here in chat room did power things as God gave them ability. And you say the gifts have stopped. How prideful, how ill-informed, how arrogant, and yes how wrong you are.
You ask for proof
you have an issue with the mormoms take it up with them I am not one. Two if your hate for catholics and their teaching is so much win them to the Lord with your ability to do so if you can even lead one to Christ. You mock and lambast the gifts of the Holy Spirit while mocking healing and the gifts of the Holy Spirit you are a Buffoon, and should be ashamed. You are very close to Blaspheming.
You falsely accuse. You make claims here that you expect people to believe in a chat! Then when your challenged, you throw a tantrum.
You parrot words.
Respecter of persons!
A confused one. A divider.
You fail again.

CS1

May 23, 2012
The tragic truth......the only church in the N.T. that had an issue with the gifts and like today BOASTED of the ability to speak tongues, was the spiritually immature Corinthian assembly that had some 15 errors.........and it took over three chapters to correct their error.........many of the same errors are found within churches today that make a big deal of speaking in tongues and I am not saying this based upon bias and or a lack of info as I have many family and friends that attend these types of churches. Paul was clear and so is the verbiage found in the Corinthian letter.....if ONE is going to covet a GIFT Paul said to covet the BEST gift and tongues was not it........

I fully expect those that push tongues to argue against the truth..........

Fail, cease and vanish away are clear, so is the word perfect as applied to a 1st Century Greek speaking believer.

Super natural knowledge is no longer needed due to the completed bible
Prophecy is no longer needed due to the completed bible and the last BOOK of Prophecy
And tongues has devolved into some mumbo jumbo that does nothing for the hearer......

When one can stand and speak fluent Mandarin with zero training in an open assembly with another to translate for the sake of a Chinese visitor that does not speak ENGLISH then the true meaning of tongues as applied in the 1st Century will be evident.

Why is it so hard for the truth to be accepted.
that is your opinion. I have heard anyone boasting that they have the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. We, at least those who agree with the gifts have not ceased, are saying the word of God does not say they have stopped. But you continue now to lie, why? Is it because you cannot Biblically prove your point. Or is it you have loss your influence on those who now question your understanding of the word of God? we stand by 1cor chpater 12 to 14 mark 16, Mathhew 28 Acts 2 and 10 and other chapters we stand with the Move of the Spirit of God seen in the Old Testament. You just posted all of that and not even one Biblical verse to support your assertion .

Ignorun

Dec 18, 2018
that is your opinion. I have heard anyone boasting that they have the Gifts of the Holy Spirit. We, at least those who agree with the gifts have not ceased, are saying the word of God does not say they have stopped. But you continue now to lie, why? Is it because you cannot Biblically prove your point. Or is it you have loss your influence on those who now question your understanding of the word of God? we stand by 1cor chpater 12 to 14 mark 16, Mathhew 28 Acts 2 and 10 and other chapters we stand with the Move of the Spirit of God seen in the Old Testament. You just posted all of that and not even one Biblical verse to support your assertion .
Well, you're WRONG BS1. AGAIN. He laid it all out. And why would you ask for proof? You've been aligning everyone who asks for proof up with the children of the devil.

CS1

May 23, 2012
You ask for proof
You falsely accuse. You make claims here that you expect people to believe in a chat! Then when your challenged, you throw a tantrum.
You parrot words.
Respecter of persons!
A confused one. A divider.
You fail again.
if you are saying I failed LOL then I will accept that as victory in the word of God. You are no authority here and have none. In fact you should say thank you because I have provided Historical context to the Moving of the Holy after the early church age and the apostolic age of the church. Nothing of what I have posted is disputed with normative and orthodox Christian History. then you say '
You parrot words.

LOl Ok Prove it and try using good resources instead of your own thought process, it is most taxing.