Praying to God for a coffee?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
I don't have a smart phone, a house or a beard.
My phone is dumb but it can still tell me who last rang me.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
And when you do ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may squander it on your pleasures.
James 4:3

;)
Agree. Motive is everything. I'm more conservative in my prayers. I know some people who pray for everything like this fellow. But I feel my prayer should keep in mind of who I am praying to.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
You can just say you dont have money, when Ive run out and couldnt pay for something I just told people the truth, nothing wrong with the truth!

if you have no money you just dont buy it and wait for your payday when you DO have money.

anyway, I dont see what is hard about that. Most workplaces offer free coffee (and tea) anyway in the staffroom. Its instant but its better than nothing.

S

SophieT

Agree. Motive is everything. I'm more conservative in my prayers. I know some people who pray for everything like this fellow. But I feel my prayer should keep in mind of who I am praying to.
reading some of his other posts though, I am less concerned about praying for a coffee ...actually, I don't have a problem with someone praying for a coffee if they really have no money....but the dude does not even want to work

quote:
My problem is I can't fit in at work. I'm easily distracted. Do one day of good work and get there the next day and im bored.

awww...he's bored :cool:

Oct 2, 2021
I didn't really need a coffee today.
I did get to say hi to a guy and make him smile who looked like he was homeless. he didn't have much teeth and they were yellow. that doesn't matter he still grinned. That was a plus for the day. I did have a thought go through my head to giving a coffee to someone who was homeless. but then it changed. then i saw the homeless guy. he was just walking through the mall with a bag with what looked like his belongings in it.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
oh well you always get some strange types on Christian forums but I wouldnt judge them just answer the question they pose...

People for whatver reason become unemployed or cant fit in at work not because they dont want to work. (or earn money) as some workplaces are difficult and probably dont even give you basic hot water or enough to sustain you through the day.

You just have to learn ways to adapt, because if its only a ten minute break you are allowed then you dont have any time to even stop and eat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
my thing would be to fill up a thermos of hot water, in the morning before I leave for work and put a few sprigs of thyme or herbs in it, and then I always have a drink when I need it.

Oct 2, 2021
Even God Jesus Christ was homeless. he had nowhere to lay his head.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Personally am not really a coffee person. I like hot chocolate though, but its a treat rather than something I need to drink every day.

mcdonalds probably has the cheapest takeaway coffees I know they did hot chocolate for $1

I dont recall praying for a hot chocolate but I might say to God, I'd really love a hot chocolate and pray that the line is short when I go to buy one.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
You don't need a smart phone for a job.
If your duties require a smart phone, your employer should provide it.

Oct 2, 2021
Personally am not really a coffee person. I like hot chocolate though, but its a treat rather than something I need to drink every day.

mcdonalds probably has the cheapest takeaway coffees I know they did hot chocolate for $1

I dont recall praying for a hot chocolate but I might say to God, I'd really love a hot chocolate and pray that the line is short when I go to buy one.
Hot chocolate is good. You have good tastes.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
i once grow some coffee plants at a place I worked in but the thing is you need to grow them indoors as they like shade and humidity as they are rainforest trees.

Tea is easier to grow it doesnt require so much heat it likes cooler temperatures.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
regarding smartphones
I agree if needed for a job the employer ought to provide it and pay for the calls. If your job is mobile then you do need one.
If you are lucky enough to have your own office or work in a call centre, you dont really need one.

I was given mine by someone else who upgraded theirs. Although he did make me pay for it but it was nowhere near as costly had I bought it new. Many people actually get given phones by others because they get frustrated when they cant call people lol.

I wouldnt spend heaps of money buying a smartphone. Its the calls that cost though, and the data. Though a lot of places have free wifi.

Oct 2, 2021
You don't need a smart phone for a job.
If your duties require a smart phone, your employer should provide it.
You don't need a shirt for a job either. I don't believe here in australia you can even buy a non-smartphone. Plus whats the point throwing my phone in the bin? Noone is going to buy it. Its just stupid to sell it for $1 or throw in the bin.
regarding smartphones
I agree if needed for a job the employer ought to provide it and pay for the calls. If your job is mobile then you do need one.
If you are lucky enough to have your own office or work in a call centre, you dont really need one.

I was given mine by someone else who upgraded theirs. Although he did make me pay for it but it was nowhere near as costly had I bought it new. Many people actually get given phones by others because they get frustrated when they cant call people lol.

I wouldnt spend heaps of money buying a smartphone. Its the calls that cost though, and the data. Though a lot of places have free wifi.
You do need some sort of phone to phone employers. I brought a $200 one ages ago. Plus you can't even do internet banking without a smart phone. You literally can't go to the bank here unless you wanna 1 hour to go to one that isn't open 24/7.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
You don't need a shirt for a job either. I don't believe here in australia you can even buy a non-smartphone. Plus whats the point throwing my phone in the bin? Noone is going to buy it. Its just stupid to sell it for $1 or throw in the bin.

You do need some sort of phone to phone employers. I brought a $200 one ages ago. Plus you can't even do internet banking without a smart phone. You literally can't go to the bank here unless you wanna 1 hour to go to one that isn't open 24/7.
'Some sort of phone' doesn't have to be a smart phone. Aussies must still have land lines surely.

I don't like those touch screen things so the last thing I want to do is waste a load of money on one.
I just want my phone to be a phone. I'm not in the race to constantly upgrade & have "apps" for everything.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
reading some of his other posts though, I am less concerned about praying for a coffee ...actually, I don't have a problem with someone praying for a coffee if they really have no money....but the dude does not even want to work

quote:
My problem is I can't fit in at work. I'm easily distracted. Do one day of good work and get there the next day and im bored.

awww...he's bored :cool:
If that is true as the financial issues are from a lack of work ethic then that is problem and the issue that needs Biblical guidance and encouragement like the passage that says we are not working for men but for God and if we work for God, we will prosper. Sometimes physically bug if not then we can prosper mentally and spiritually.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
I did get to say hi to a guy and make him smile who looked like he was homeless. he didn't have much teeth and they were yellow. that doesn't matter he still grinned. That was a plus for the day. I did have a thought go through my head to giving a coffee to someone who was homeless. but then it changed. then i saw the homeless guy. he was just walking through the mall with a bag with what looked like his belongings in it.
Aaaand you didn't witness to him? The message & the plan of salvation is free, and you didn't give it to him? Perhaps you are broke. Spiritually broke.

Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
You may need to repent of sin & ask Christ to be Savior & Lord of your life.
One can cry their eyes out in repentance, but if they don't change & live a repentant life for Jesus, it not true repentance.
Matt 13 NLT
18“Now listen to the explanation of the parable about the farmer planting seeds: 19The seed that fell on the footpath represents those who hear the message about the Kingdom and don’t understand it. Then the evil one comes and snatches away the seed that was planted in their hearts. 20The seed on the rocky soil represents those who hear the message and immediately receive it with joy. 21But since they don’t have deep roots, they don’t last long. They fall away as soon as they have problems or are persecuted for believing God’s word. 22The seed that fell among the thorns represents those who hear God’s word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life and the lure of wealth, so no fruit is produced.

You are in these verses somewhere. It's up to you to discover which one you are & repent. It's my hope that you do.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Unfortunately many of the homeless choose to be homeless due to drug use, lack of work ethics, or crime.

Not everyone though some are mentally handicapped that the system has failed. Others are hardworking but the system failed them as well.

But if your country has good programs to help the homeless get back on their feet then they should be easily available. That is how you will determine the type of help needed.

Do they need the help of a mental ward? A temporary home and temporary job? Do they need to go to jail (for crimes committed)? Hooked on drugs needs a drug rehab center for the homeless. Or what do you do with those who just do not want to work? Bible says they shouldn't eat.