Preachers and weight

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MoonCresta

I must say here, that when I was a youth, we had an overweight pastor - a lady that easily weighed 4-500 lbs. It really didn't take us that long to get over that - in reality, she was one of the nicest people I ever knew. We accepted her leadership with open arms!

I just looked her up in Google - I would've sworn she wouldn't make it to 50, but she died in 2017 at 71 - wow. I was impressed!

dave_in_KWC

May 21, 2014
KWC, Ontario
There are many preachers, some of whom i like and respect and listen to, who preach on receiving healing or anything you need from God, because of verses such as

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19. .

But they are overweight, and don't seem to ever address the issue though they must surely be aware that this is a basic need they have which they need God's help with as being overweight is bad for your health.
My BSc is in Nutrition and Human Development & Family Studies. My Masters is in Clinical Social Work (I've been in private practice since 1987). As a Believer since 1979, I can tell you that people who are in leadership who have obesity are a BIG red flag to me. If you can't discipline your bodily (and emotional) "appetites" I have to ask: where is your fruit of God's Spirit? namely: self-control and love (especially self-love)!

I know there will be reactions to these bold statements of mine, but clearly something is WRONG! I do not overlook the possibility there may be a medical problem with this servant of God, however the highest possibility is lack of self-control. If that is the problem, how do we overlook the failure to have such self-control in the life of this leader? We should NOT! And yet, so many churches do!

I say, be cautious! Recognize this is a HUGE (sorry for the pun) warning flag that this individual MAY not be qualified with the maturity to lead! I'm not talking about the gifts of leadership! I'm pointing out the potential LACK of maturity evidenced in the obesity!

D

DWR

My BSc is in Nutrition and Human Development & Family Studies. My Masters is in Clinical Social Work (I've been in private practice since 1987). As a Believer since 1979, I can tell you that people who are in leadership who have obesity are a BIG red flag to me. If you can't discipline your bodily (and emotional) "appetites" I have to ask: where is your fruit of God's Spirit? namely: self-control and love (especially self-love)!

I know there will be reactions to these bold statements of mine, but clearly something is WRONG! I do not overlook the possibility there may be a medical problem with this servant of God, however the highest possibility is lack of self-control. If that is the problem, how do we overlook the failure to have such self-control in the life of this leader? We should NOT! And yet, so many churches do!

I say, be cautious! Recognize this is a HUGE (sorry for the pun) warning flag that this individual MAY not be qualified with the maturity to lead! I'm not talking about the gifts of leadership! I'm pointing out the potential LACK of maturity evidenced in the obesity!
So you are one who makes his judgment based on looks, what your eye sees.
You probably love the likes of Joel Osteen and his fine suit, styled hair, and sparkling teeth.
You probably would have been turned off by the appearance of Jesus and the Apostles as well.
People really need to get over looks and judge by what they hear.
Forget what those ungodly collage teachers taught you and listen to the Holy Spirit.
I will admit that I believe social workers are just a scam profession anyway.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
So you are one who makes his judgment based on looks, what your eye sees.
You probably love the likes of Joel Osteen and his fine suit, styled hair, and sparkling teeth.
You probably would have been turned off by the appearance of Jesus and the Apostles as well.
People really need to get over looks and judge by what they hear.
Forget what those ungodly collage teachers taught you and listen to the Holy Spirit.
I will admit that I believe social workers are just a scam profession anyway.
I really want to put a like and agree on this post. But I have a degree in Counseling and Human Services, and my job is pretty much social work...:oops:

Oh well, I agree with the rest of it so I put a like on it anyways....lol

D

DWR

One of the greatest sins in this world today is that peoples are judged by their appearance and not their heart, not the person that dwells in that "imperfect" , temporary, fleshly body.
I really feel sorry for those who can not see past a persons appearance.

D

DWR

I really want to put a like and agree on this post. But I have a degree in Counseling and Human Services, and my job is pretty much social work...:oops:

Oh well, I agree with the rest of it so I put a like on it anyways....lol
Did not mean to offend. I am sure some of you folks do good work. BUT, I have met a couple who thought they were God's gift to mankind and could solve everyone's problems.
I am one that believes that falling on one's face before God in prayer will solve most if not all mental problems.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Did not mean to offend. I am sure some of you folks do good work. BUT, I have met a couple who thought they were God's gift to mankind and could solve everyone's problems.
I am one that believes that falling on one's face before God in prayer will solve most if not all mental problems.
No offence taken.

I agree. I don't do counseling for that very reason. I don't think anyone is going to find true help unless they get it from God.

Presently, I work with individuals with intellectual disabilities. Some with issues such as CP and other birth defects. You wouldn't believe how cruel people can be to them. They treat them like they are not human just because they have some physical flaws. It's sad really.

But I'm glad that I can be there to advocate for them and help them obtain a higher quality of living.

D

DWR

No offence taken.

I agree. I don't do counseling for that very reason. I don't think anyone is going to find true help unless they get it from God.

Presently, I work with individuals with intellectual disabilities. Some with issues such as CP and other birth defects. You wouldn't believe how cruel people can be to them. They treat them like they are not human just because they have some physical flaws. It's sad really.

But I'm glad that I can be there to advocate for them and help them obtain a higher quality of living.
Now that my friend is great work on your part.
God will bless you for that.

I grew up in "difficult" circumstances. Left home before my 14th birthday.
Found Jesus when I was 18 and ALL my problems vanished.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Now that my friend is great work on your part.
God will bless you for that.

I grew up in "difficult" circumstances. Left home before my 14th birthday.
Found Jesus when I was 18 and ALL my problems vanished.
And that is a good testimony you have. Thanks for sharing.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
That's for sure!

I remember this one teenager on the job who was what is currently classified as morbidly obese. It looked like he was wearing a life preserver around his waist. But he was always consciously aware of where he was relative to his surroundings, he maneuvered his bulk with grace and agility in a tight, fast-moving McDonald's grill area and he always got his job done.

Then there are the slobs - fat and thin - who never pay any attention to their surroundings, are always in the way and play on their phones constantly.
lol 😀😁😁😂

am probably one of the "slobs"

In my defence I am neurodiverse and struggle with spatial awareness

God loves us anyway!

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
lol 😀😁😁😂

am probably one of the "slobs"

In my defence I am neurodiverse and struggle with spatial awareness

God loves us anyway!
Doesn't count. You have to actively not care to be a slob. You have to make a conscious decision that you don't give a fart in a whirlwind. It's all in the attitude. :cool:

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
Doesn't count. You have to actively not care to be a slob. You have to make a conscious decision that you don't give a fart in a whirlwind. It's all in the attitude. :cool:
maybe except every fat person I have met hates being that way and are permanently on a diet or failing at one

crash diets don't work. Nutrition does.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
maybe except every fat person I have met hates being that way and are permanently on a diet or failing at one

crash diets don't work. Nutrition does.
It's not about fat at all. I already said there are skinny slobs. Being a slob is about not giving a rat's butt.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
It's not about fat at all. I already said there are skinny slobs. Being a slob is about not giving a rat's butt.
Yes to see that kind of self neglect is sad. Makes me realise how we need to be supporting each other and building each other up. Depression and self neglect are sadly getting more common since the epidemic

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
I wish the only problem Preachers had was their weight. I had seen preachers who stole money and neglected their wife.

M

MoonCresta

Yeah, that's sad isn't it. It's what happens when you focus only upon this world and the things within it.

daffodil

Feb 25, 2021
I am looking for a couple of replies to me from a while back but I can't find them.
Are some replies removed please?

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Lol this thread.. as if they don't know it already they need someone that LOVES JESUS to remind them huh haha. I was talking to my wife about this and how .. well so many over weight people have the best self confidence I have ever seen. Had a friend in collage (Sue) looking back she was over weight we did so much together.. so close that you could finish each others sentences. I never noticed once she was over weight.. loved her so much. God used her.. she would alway tell me "see those two?" they didn't know each other she would say "there going to get married... WOW it always happened... wow I still remember that.

If we allow something like this get in the way of GOD.. well you will just miss out on God. Over weight or not He uses anyone that says HERE I AM LORD USE ME! Praise GOD GLORY TO JESUS!