Predestination is misunderstood...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Yes, HeIsHere, in agreement.

However, it seems to me PaulThomson is talking about our day-to-day fellowship with the Father as opposed to God having saved us.

Once we are born again ("saved"), we are children of God. He is our Father and we are His children and continue to be His children in this lifetime and in new heaven/new earth.

However, as children, we sometimes disobey ... ignore ... are drawn away from Father ... etc., etc. This does not mean we are no longer children; however, it affects our fellowship with Father ... and we are chastened by Him if and when we do stray.

God is faithful and He always welcomes us back with open arms when we realize we have left Him and turn back to Him.

Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

yes yes yes ... something I have been trying to get through to those who insist that faith is some sort of "work" on the part of mankind.
My conclusion and in line with lesser known theologians is that initial/saving faith is not a gift, neither is faith an act of the will nor is it a work.

But the arguments typically revolve around these positions therefore there is never agreement.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
God imputed righteousness to Abraham in Genesis 15:6 ... well before the birth of Isaac:

Genesis 15:6 And he [Abraham] believed in the LORD; and he [God] counted it to him for righteousness.

This was before the birth of Ishmael ...

When God gave the covenant in which circumcision was a token of the covenant, Abraham was 99 years old (Gen 17:24) ... Ishmael was 13 yrs old (Gen 17:25).

As far as Abraham offering up Isaac, Hebrews 11 tells us Abraham believed God would raise up Isaac from the dead:

Hebrews 11:17-19 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
Genesis 22:7-8
Isaac spoke to his father Abraham and said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” And he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” Abraham said, “God will provide for Himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”

Not sure if the Hebrews verses 11:17-19 is correct.

Abraham believed that God would provide an alternate sacrifice, in other words, Jesus Christ.

Rather than believing God would resurrect Isaac.

Probably the most powerful messianic prophecy in all the scripture (Genesis 22).

Mar 23, 2016
My conclusion and in line with lesser known theologians is that initial/saving faith is not a gift, neither is faith an act of the will nor is it a work.

But the arguments typically revolve around these positions therefore there is never agreement.
pickin' up what you're layin' down ... :cool:

Dec 18, 2023
Actually scripture says you where still Gods children before being handed over to the son from the father

Mar 23, 2016
Genesis 22:7-8
Isaac spoke to his father Abraham and said, “My father!” And he said, “Here I am, my son.” And he said, “Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” Abraham said, “God will provide for Himself the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.”

Not sure if the Hebrews verses 11:17-19 is correct.

Abraham believed that God would provide an alternate sacrifice, in other words, Jesus Christ.

Rather than believing God would resurrect Isaac.

Probably the most powerful messianic prophecy in all the scripture (Genesis 22).
Read Gen 22:8 in KJV ... much more impactful: And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

Isaac's faith is also revealed in his allowing himself to be bound. He carried the wood (Gen 22:6) so he was strong ... and yet he submitted to his father (who was well over 100 yrs old), allowed Abraham to bind him and place him on the altar.

... and for the record, I'm not a KJV only ... it's just that I started out with KJV a long time ago ...

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
God used Jeremiah to continually warn Israel to repent but He never pleaded with them to do so as if it is in the power of men to repent.

The Scriptures declare that man will only choose according to his evil nature and no one seeks after God. Those who choose God are only those whom God has chosen and even many of those who say they have chosen God are not saved as the parable of the sower declares and Christ in Matthew 7:21-23 declares.

Thank God for His awesome grace in choosing to save any who were originally His enemies.

Rom 5:10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
Every morning you wake up and CHOOSE what to wear, eat, who to talk to, what songs to listen to… all day long you’re making CHOICES…

God CHOOSES or REJECTS us AND we get to CHOOSE or REJECT Him.

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
By your comments, you believe eternal salvation is gained by your works. Do you realize that the only righteousness that you have by nature is as filthy rags? (Isaiah 64:6).

If someone gives you directions to a place down the street? And, you go there?
Its not works! And, it does not have to be spiritual.

Here is what FollowerofShiloh said...

FollowerofShiloh said:
You don't need to spiritually discern to look at the earth and know God created it.
You don't need to spiritually discern to look at the earth and know God created it.
The denial of God is what changes the Glory of God to them.

Please, if you would take the time to read Romans 1:18-23?
You will see that what Follower of Shilo said... is correct.

:unsure: Ironically...

You are making your anti-works charge into what appears to be works on your part!

grace and peace .................

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Every morning you wake up and CHOOSE what to wear, eat, who to talk to, what songs to listen to… all day long you’re making CHOICES…

God CHOOSES or REJECTS us AND we get to CHOOSE or REJECT Him.
On the basis of the individual election of any person, you may be correct.

The Jews have been grafted out, hence a Jew is unlikely to make a choice for Jesus.

Where as a Gentile, given that Gentiles are grafted in, are much more likely to believe in Jesus.

Sovereign election, a very complex subject.

I am torn between God's sovereignty, God's unconditional love, and our response to the Holy Spirit.

The following verse is where I stand.

Romans 11:33
Oh, the depth of the riches, both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
God imputed righteousness to Abraham in Genesis 15:6 ... well before the birth of Isaac:

Genesis 15:6 And he [Abraham] believed in the LORD; and he [God] counted it to him for righteousness.

This was before the birth of Ishmael ...

When God gave the covenant in which circumcision was a token of the covenant, Abraham was 99 years old (Gen 17:24) ... Ishmael was 13 yrs old (Gen 17:25).

As far as Abraham offering up Isaac, Hebrews 11 tells us Abraham believed God would raise up Isaac from the dead:

Hebrews 11:17-19 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
It would help greatly if you read what I said....
It appears you only skimmed through what I said, and latched onto a keyword or two..

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Genez

Oct 12, 2017
You evidently do not understand how depraved we all are by our nature. The only righteousness we have is the imputed righteousness of Christ. Our righteousness is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6)
Just to get an idea how repulsive our own righteousness is to God?

"Filthy rags" in the Hebrew meant used menstrual rags.

God is repulsed by human righteousness....

;) ..... after saying that, I think I'll go have a snack and a cup of coffee.

Mar 23, 2016
The Jews have been grafted out, hence a Jew is unlikely to make a choice for Jesus.

Where as a Gentile, given that Gentiles are grafted in, are much more likely to believe in Jesus.
Jews are grafted in ... in the same manner as gentiles ... through faith.

Romans 11:23-24 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

Inquisitor said:

Oh, the depth of the riches, both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!
exactly!!!

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
On the basis of the individual election of any person, you may be correct.

Sovereign election, a very complex subject.

I am torn between God's sovereignty, God's unconditional love, and our response to the Holy Spirit.

God’s sovereignty is simply the fact that the Lamb of God was slain BEFORE the foundation of the world. He will save ALL that choose to believe in Him.

God’s unconditional love is simply the fact that His love depends only on Him, NOT us… meaning God chooses to love us because He wants to love us, NOT because we deserve His love.

Our response to the Holy Spirit is simply the fact that we acknowledge we received God’s Invitation to come to Him… it is up to each individual to accept or reject God’s invitation.

Mar 23, 2016
It would help greatly if you read what I said....
It appears you only skimmed through what I said, and latched onto a keyword or two.
I read the whole post ... do you want me to respond to each and every point?

Dec 18, 2023
Oh well I guess the fruits of the spirit of Jesus living in you is not deserving of Gods love either.

I mean could you see how depraving the depraved with nobody is deserving of God love, would make people not even realise this reality.

Then also the human nature that exists in fallen man was still created by God,

I mean could you see how that would be missed by the depraved who get further depraved by the people who believe in totally depraved.

Mar 7, 2024
Do you walk in divine health every day since by his stripes you were healed. Do you cast out every devil that crosses your path, since he commanded the apostles to teach new disciples to do that?? Do you give of your money to every need that comes your way out of His abundance? Do you love your enemies and lay down your life for them unconcerned about death? Do you forgive every offense against you?
Yes I walk in divine health everyday, since I was healed.

There are no Devils to cast out as they don't exist in our realm. The Lord Jesus bound Satan and His Devils 2000 years ago, so they can't bother me or any Elect Saint.
There have been no additional Apostles in the past 2000, so there never was never any command given to do any such thing, so you need to go back and study the bible to enlighten yourself before you make false claims.

I only give my money to my brethren, in the Independent Nondenominational Reformed Baptist Church. I would never give a dime to anyone else outside of my Church.

I show my love for my enemies by sharing the gospel with them, even thou7gh they hate me even more for sharing as it is the stench of death to them. I would never lay down my life for my enemies, that's a Satanic suggestion. I rebuke, judge and prosecute offenders against me and depending on the offence I'm ready to kill them on the spot.

I'm not sure how you came up with these absurd suggestions.

Dec 18, 2023
Yes I walk in divine health everyday, since I was healed.

There are no Devils to cast out as they don't exist in our realm. The Lord Jesus bound Satan and His Devils 2000 years ago, so they can't bother me or any Elect Saint.
There have been no additional Apostles in the past 2000, so there never was never any command given to do any such thing, so you need to go back and study the bible to enlighten yourself before you make false claims.

I only give my money to my brethren, in the Independent Nondenominational Reformed Baptist Church. I would never give a dime to anyone else outside of my Church.

I show my love for my enemies by sharing the gospel with them, even thou7gh they hate me even more for sharing as it is the stench of death to them. I would never lay down my life for my enemies, that's a Satanic suggestion. I rebuke, judge and prosecute offenders against me and depending on the offence I'm ready to kill them on the spot.

I'm not sure how you came up with these absurd suggestions.
evidently calvinism depraves the depraved

Mar 7, 2024
You're the second person to accuse me of that lately. Neither of you knows enough about me to draw that conclusion.

"Must" is the wrong word here. You choose to judge everyone. Scripture, rightly understood, means that IF you judge someone, judge by their fruit.

Ah... here we get to the crux of the matter. You would benefit new believers more by sharing God's wisdom than your own. You would benefit them far more by exhibiting the love and grace of Jesus Christ and leave the judgement up to Him.
But we are instructed to judge everyone. It is foolish to trust and believe everyone who claims to poses the truth. God gave us may scriptures, which warn us and instruct us to judge wisely.

You have confused Gods final judgement with mans temporal judgement. We must judge to safeguard ourselves and our brethren from Demonic Doctrines. Gods Elect Saints are indwelt by the Holy Spirit who guides us into all truth, He has given u a sound mind so we won't fall for the deception of the enemy.

Hebrews 5:14 - But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

John 7:24 - Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Colossians 2:8 - Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Matthew 10:16 - Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

These are just a few of many verses, which prove the importance of judging everyone according to their fruits.

Dec 18, 2023
But we are instructed to judge everyone. It is foolish to trust and believe everyone who claims to poses the truth. God gave us may scriptures, which warn us and instruct us to judge wisely.

You have confused Gods final judgement with mans temporal judgement. We must judge to safeguard ourselves and our brethren from Demonic Doctrines. Gods Elect Saints are indwelt by the Holy Spirit who guides us into all truth, He has given u a sound mind so we won't fall for the deception of the enemy.

Hebrews 5:14 - But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

John 7:24 - Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Colossians 2:8 - Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Matthew 10:16 - Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

These are just a few of many verses, which prove the importance of judging everyone according to their fruits.
evidently calvinism depraves the depraved

Apr 13, 2024
Kansas
IDK...if God is all knowing...how do we know He didn't choose us beforehand? Only reason I say this is because I genuinely feel like God persued me throughout my life, waiting for me to realize I already belonged to Him. Hope that makes sense.