Private Messaging

• Thread starter xXErraticEmilyXx
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
X

xXErraticEmilyXx

I'd like to be able to block private messages. This could be messages from people who are not on my friends list or everyone completely (not including our trusted mods of course.)

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
Same here!! Thank you Emily for presenting this idea. I'm tired of getting random pm's.

O

OFM

i agree but you sometimes you meet new wonderful brothers/sisters in Christ in a pm but i am a guy and i personally spiritually believe a guy should ask a women in the main room if they can pm them allways.

U

Ugly

Seen multiple threads on this, some pages long. My understanding is it won't likely be implemented til the new site is up and even then its no guarantee.

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
Are y'all talking about in the chat rooms or in the forums?

In the forums the options are already there:

Click control panel at the top.
Look on the left side of the screen and scroll down to settings and options.
Click on edit options.
Scroll down to messaging and notifications.
Then look under private messsaging.

You'll see the available options, which include turning off private messaging, only allowing moderators and people on your contact list to private message you, etc.

I assume that doesn't do anything for the chat room, but it should take care of it in the forums at least.

O

OFM

in the chat rooms,sssssssssssssssssssss

raf

Sep 26, 2009
ohhh my gaawssh im like sooo scaareed of people from like the middle east pming me and like creepers i dont want anyone pming me unless theyre BFFs for life!

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
Are y'all talking about in the chat rooms or in the forums?

In the forums the options are already there:

Click control panel at the top.
Look on the left side of the screen and scroll down to settings and options.
Click on edit options.
Scroll down to messaging and notifications.
Then look under private messsaging.

You'll see the available options, which include turning off private messaging, only allowing moderators and people on your contact list to private message you, etc.

I assume that doesn't do anything for the chat room, but it should take care of it in the forums at least.
Yeah, we're talking about Chat rooms.

Every time we're in there, we ALWAYS get these pms from people in the Middle East, asking for information >.< It definitely gets old ignoring people.

Now guys may not have as much of an issue with this but that's because guys seem to be respected a lot more than women. So when guys ask women to stop, they typically do. But when we women ask men to stop, they don't at times. =\

Last edited:
X

xXErraticEmilyXx

Yeah, we're talking about Chat rooms.
But when we ask them to stop, they don't at times. =\
This is the issue I'm having. I enjoy the private messaging feature with some of my fellow CCers, but it can get annoying having to click "ignore" every time a stranger sends a message. There's some people I just don't feel comfortable getting messages from in private.

U

Ugly

Its not a big deal people. If i get a PM from someone i don't want, i just don't respond. They get the message. There are some countries i don't respond to, and i tend not to respond to under 18. Anyone else i just check their profile and see if everything looks kosher. Works well takes almost no time or hassle.

raf

Sep 26, 2009
Eh so when people say "people from middle east pming them" Im just curious like what are the boundaries of this middle east is it North africa and everything to the country to the very left of china, or what exactly is it can someone clarify this for me?

U

Ugly

I'm not sure what exactly would encompass the 'middle east', but most commonly when people say it on CC about the PM's they are referring to India and Pakistan. These two countries have a high amount of problem PM's coming through so a lot of people are distrustful of people from these countries until they prove themselves.
I don't believe North Africa qualifies as Middle East, but many people don't respond to Africans either, as there are a lot of requests for money from African countries.

J

Jorina

Well, i do understand that some of the girls here get irritated and frustrated by the pm's. For me, i don't mind if someone PM's me. If i dont want to talk or feel like i dont trust the person who pm's i just ignore them. But i just love the funny and weird talks i mostly have in pm.

J

Jorina

Eh so when people say "people from middle east pming them" Im just curious like what are the boundaries of this middle east is it North africa and everything to the country to the very left of china, or what exactly is it can someone clarify this for me?
Well, its not about special countries (allthough most of the time those pm's do come from people from India and Pakistan) but its a fact that people from that part of the world seem to be asking way more for money (or if you would like to become their girlfriend/wife) then from the other parts. So its not really a country, its more the kind of people. That they're called after this part of the world is simply because 99% of the people who behave like this on pm come from overthere ;).

U

Ugly

Well, Middle East does refer to specific area. No, its not a country, no one implied that it was. Don't think raf thought that either. So, i looked it up and stand corrected..

An area of southwestern Asia and northern Africa that stretches from the Mediterranean Sea to Pakistan and includes the Arabian peninsula.

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
Technically, India is in Asia, but that's beside the point. I post it only as a factoid.

T

Tandemtruths

In addition to the primary suggestion, the private message system could be separated from the chat window altogether, instead making it part of the main site. Similar to the mail application, yet instant, and the cache would be deleted upon logging out. If possible, this could alleviate a lot of the server load of those chatters that log into the chat , but only to share in pm conversation. Most of the issues in chat that we have can be attributed to overpopulation of the room. I also feel only friends and mods should have the ability to pm a respective person. There is no reason for a stranger to be able to contact someone in an unmoderated atmosphere. The greatest worry is for the younger female users, that are now encountering ''sketch dudes'' on a regular basis. It is for no other reason than they are female, and young..... hence, sketch.

U

Ugly

In addition to the primary suggestion, the private message system could be separated from the chat window altogether, instead making it part of the main site. Similar to the mail application, yet instant, and the cache would be deleted upon logging out. If possible, this could alleviate a lot of the server load of those chatters that log into the chat , but only to share in pm conversation. Most of the issues in chat that we have can be attributed to overpopulation of the room. I also feel only friends and mods should have the ability to pm a respective person. There is no reason for a stranger to be able to contact someone in an unmoderated atmosphere. The greatest worry is for the younger female users, that are now encountering ''sketch dudes'' on a regular basis. It is for no other reason than they are female, and young..... hence, sketch.
I disagree with the 'only mods and friends'. I like being PMed by people i don't know. Sometimes at least.

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Well, i do understand that some of the girls here get irritated and frustrated by the pm's. For me, i don't mind if someone PM's me. If i dont want to talk or feel like i dont trust the person who pm's i just ignore them. But i just love the funny and weird talks i mostly have in pm.
I agree, I personally don't mind the fact that anyone who wants to PM me has that option. The one time I recall specifically telling a man not to PM me anymore (he was married and normally I simply ignored him, but I decided to tell him to stop trying to talk to me), he stopped. Although I think that IN GENERAL that's a good way to handle things, if I were a mom, I'd be a lot more likely to allow a young teenage daughter to go in the chat room if PM's from non-friends/mods could be disallowed, or at least set so that only other females could talk to her. Not that it's impossible to pretend to be female, though, so I'd still be really careful, but the people who seem the most unnerved by PM's from strangers are the teen girls. They are probably the most likely to get rude/creepy/weird PM's in the first place, as people are hoping that they're easy targets for Paypal donations, or worse.

Also, although I clicked the "like" button on OFM's post about men asking women before PM'ing them, I don't mind if they don't ask first as long as they're polite. It is charming when a gentleman asks first, though :).

Last edited: