Problem with x inside a black box

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chester

May 23, 2016

Occasionally someone posts (or pastes) something that comes through on my screen as a white x inside a small black box which is surrounded by a larger square. Clicking on it does nothing?

I assume it is something with my computer setup? Does anyone know?

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
It may be your browser, or even your computer.. What do you use for a browser, and what brand is your 'puter?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Occasionally someone posts (or pastes) something that comes through on my screen as a white x inside a small black box which is surrounded by a larger square. Clicking on it does nothing?

I assume it is something with my computer setup? Does anyone know?

Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?
It is most likely an image file that did not load properly because it was taken from a site that does not allow sharing of images. It could also be an image file that is too large for your device to open, if you are on a phone, for instance.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
When someone adds an image to a post, it should show up in their text box right away if it is taken from a url, and will show as an image if uploaded from your computer when you preview the post. If you are trying to add an image that is hosted somewhere that does not allow sharing, it will immediately show us as that x -in-a-box image right away. When that happens, the best thing to do is make sure you have added it properly, meaning, you have clicked OFF Retrieve remote file and reference locally.

If you are sure you have done that and the image still displays as an x-in-a-box, you have a number of options. The first would be to look for an image that you know is able to be shared. The second would be to take the url from the first image and upload it to an image host to create a new url for it that you can share here. A third option would be to save the image to your computer and upload it directly from your own file folder. However, that third option has become quite problematic to the point of impossible for many in the last year or so...

U

Ugly

It's just a bad picture file put up by the poster. Usually people don't notice till it's too late.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It's just a bad picture file put up by the poster. Usually people don't notice till it's too late.
Since the x-in-a-box appears right away, meaning, in the text field as soon as it is added, before the person even submits their post, noticing it "before it is too late" (especially when there is a five minute edit time), should not be a problem.

U

Ugly

Since the x-in-a-box appears right away, meaning, in the text field as soon as it is added, before the person even submits their post, noticing it "before it is too late" (especially when there is a five minute edit time), should not be a problem.
Yet it still happens. Saw one on here a day or two ago. By a regular.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yet it still happens. Saw one on here a day or two ago. By a regular.
Oh, I know it happens... sometimes when I view a page, an image will show up as an x-in-a-box but then later the image will appear. That may be a problem on my end that resolves itself with a page refresh. The thing is, if the image is not one that is properly hosted, the poster should know it right away, because it will immediately show up as an x-in-a-box, before the message is even posted.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
When that happens, the best thing to do is make sure you have added it properly, meaning, you have clicked OFF Retrieve remote file and reference locally.
This retrieve remote file and reference locally function/option
where do I find that?
and how do I work it?

do I need to work it as my images usually always load up through the
insert image icon or a simple copy and paste from a website locale.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Thanks for the input -- very helpful . . .