Proverbs 10:18 question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Vinny22

Jul 1, 2024
“He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.” (KJV Proverbs 10:18). If you dislike a person and act kind towards them or as if you like them, is that then hypocrisy? I don’t want to encourage conflict or tensions with that person, so why would it be wrong to pretend that I like them? I’m just sort of conflicted because one of those websites that explains Bible verses said it was wrong and seen as hypocritical…

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
To me the verse seems to be talking about acting hypocritically to someone's face and pretending to like them, but then going behind their back and slandering them. If you really dislike someone to the point of it becoming an issue for you, deal openly with them about it. Don't talk about them behind their back; that's the cowardly way.

"Argue your case with your neighbor himself,
and do not reveal another’s secret,
lest he who hears you bring shame upon you,
and your ill repute have no end."
Proverbs 25:9-10

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Hatred is wrong, and lying is wrong. Pretending never deals with the issue in your heart.
This doesn't mean we can't treat people kindly, or avoid undo disputes. We are called to love our enemies and to do good for others even when they don't reciprocate.
Ultimately, we need to forgive the other person or bitterness will form in your heart.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
(excerpt)

He that hideth hatred [with] lying lips
Or he whose "lying lips hide hatred", which is much the same; who pretends to be a friend, and outwardly behaves as one, but inwardly nourishes and cherishes hatred in his heart, which he covers and conceals, till he has a proper opportunity of showing it; as Absalom to Ammon, Joab to Amasa, the men of Anathoth to Jeremiah, and Judas to Christ; see ( Proverbs 26:24-26 ) . Or, "he that hideth hatred [is a man of] lying lips" {m}; he is a liar, as the person next described is a fool. And he that uttereth slander is a fool; that brings it out by wholesale, and hides it not; who openly defames his neighbour, and in the most public manner; and with a multitude of words detracts from his good name, credit, and reputation, and loads him with calumny and reproach; such a man is a fool, a very wicked man: yea, not only the public slanderer, but the secret dissembler, who thinks himself a cunning man because he hides himself; each of these is a fool, the one as well as the other. Gersom thinks there is a comparison made between the dissembler and the slanderer; the one being a liar, and the other a fool; and that the former is more abominable and pernicious than the latter.

(here)

Proverbs 10:18 - Bible Verse Meaning and Commentary - Bible …

Aug 11, 2024
“He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool.” (KJV Proverbs 10:18). If you dislike a person and act kind towards them or as if you like them, is that then hypocrisy? I don’t want to encourage conflict or tensions with that person, so why would it be wrong to pretend that I like them? I’m just sort of conflicted because one of those websites that explains Bible verses said it was wrong and seen as hypocritical…
Well I think that the thing is that the Lord doesn't want you to pretend to like them. He wants you to forgive them, and love them. Now even though Christ said to forgive 7x70 what he is saying is to completely forgive them, as seven and denominations of 10's hold significance in Jewish customs.

But keep in mind that if a person is toxic and will always be an offense to you sometimes you have to protect yourself with distance and boundaries. It can be hard to forgive people, and even harder not to have hostile feelings towards them. But if we can learn to love them, I think that is what the Lord is wanting. Kinda like "hate the sin but love the sinner."

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
The idea is is I have hate in my heart for someone and my solution is to lie about it , I havent actually dealt with the issue of heat or resentment in my heart

Im just pretending and effectually hiding the issue with my lies we need to actually forgive and forget and move past things and let issues go God is teaching us about sincerity from our hearts being genuine not just going through the motions or saying the right words

But becoming the right kind of people with the right kind of hearts towards others

“A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you:
‭‭Ezekiel‬ ‭36:26‬ ‭KJV‬‬

We need a change of heart sincerely to find the lord