Purpose…

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sunshine2026

New member
Jun 14, 2026
16
24
3
22
So I know that all Christians have one main purpose….to spread the word of God and bring others to Jesus. But do you ever wonder…what’s my career purpose? What job am I suppose to do? Should I follow my dream career even tho it’s hard to make money in that career? Is the job I have now my career that God wants me to have?
 
So I know that all Christians have one main purpose….to spread the word of God and bring others to Jesus. But do you ever wonder…what’s my career purpose? What job am I suppose to do? Should I follow my dream career even tho it’s hard to make money in that career? Is the job I have now my career that God wants me to have?
Ecc 2:24 and Ecc 3:13 says, "yep."
 
So I know that all Christians have one main purpose….to spread the word of God and bring others to Jesus. But do you ever wonder…what’s my career purpose? What job am I suppose to do? Should I follow my dream career even tho it’s hard to make money in that career? Is the job I have now my career that God wants me to have?
I wonder about that all of the time. In fact, I have been talking about it so much here that I recently apologized for it. I am trying desperately to switch careers, and I had a job interview just yesterday. I will find out later today whether or not I got the job.​
 
I wonder about that all of the time. In fact, I have been talking about it so much here that I recently apologized for it. I am trying desperately to switch careers, and I had a job interview just yesterday. I will find out later today whether or not I got the job.​
I wish you good luck. The job market is sucking terribly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: passion84god
So I know that all Christians have one main purpose….to spread the word of God and bring others to Jesus. But do you ever wonder…what’s my career purpose? What job am I suppose to do? Should I follow my dream career even tho it’s hard to make money in that career? Is the job I have now my career that God wants me to have?
Howdy and welcome to the forum.

I think your question gets different answers from different people. And each answer, although very different, is not necessarily wrong. The answer that is right for my life maybe incredibly bad for your life, and vice versa.
 
So I know that all Christians have one main purpose….to spread the word of God and bring others to Jesus. But do you ever wonder…what’s my career purpose? What job am I suppose to do? Should I follow my dream career even tho it’s hard to make money in that career? Is the job I have now my career that God wants me to have?
yes all the time
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
So I know that all Christians have one main purpose….to spread the word of God and bring others to Jesus. But do you ever wonder…what’s my career purpose? What job am I suppose to do? Should I follow my dream career even tho it’s hard to make money in that career? Is the job I have now my career that God wants me to have?

I used to wonder some of that stuff, now I'm getting old enough that I think I'm in a pretty good rut and I'll probably ride that to retirement then look for a more purposeful (and likely volunteer) retirement job.

But practically, life is a lot easier when you have enough money. And as the wise GK Chesterton once said: there are two ways to have enough, one is to keep accumulating more and more the other is to desire less. You have a wide choice of job options and God can use you in any job that's not overtly sinful (and may well even use you if you find yourself trapped in a sinful situation). The challenge is to maintain Godly character and not make those little compromises for the sake of expediency. So being able to make enough money in a career is important (though enough can vary widely from person to person), but you also need to enjoy what you do overall, though every job has its yuck parts. So find something that you can enjoy doing, that people will pay you to do, and then do it with all your heart like you're doing it for God. At least that's the best advice I have.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
So I know that all Christians have one main purpose….to spread the word of God and bring others to Jesus. But do you ever wonder…what’s my career purpose? What job am I suppose to do? Should I follow my dream career even tho it’s hard to make money in that career? Is the job I have now my career that God wants me to have?
we were all given talents. your talent should be your career, that's 1 reason God gave talents. no, not everyone succeeds at that. i wanted to drum for a living my whole life but it didn't work out always. however, my 2nd choice, landscaping was my whole career. if you are a Christian, you have immediate access to asking Jesus for assistance in this area. Psalm 34:15- 'the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous & His ears are open to your cries". i have known many people who chose a job that paid little & wondered how they can afford an apartment of house. but some people love their job so much, that's what they do. for me, no way. i grew up poor & decided i would never be poor again. blessedly for me, i possess a high level of ambition. so about age 20, i woke up to life! i worked full time in a factory, mowed lawns & earned money playing in bands. fortunately, i also have a high level of energy. get on your knees & pray like you never prayed before! this is important. initiate your ambition, write notes to yourself & post them. CONSTANTLY REMIND YOURSELF TO ACCOMPLISH A GOAL!!!!!!!!i'll pray that you will resolve this issue soon. pray, get started & persevere!!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Sunshine2026
I wonder about that all of the time. In fact, I have been talking about it so much here that I recently apologized for it. I am trying desperately to switch careers, and I had a job interview just yesterday. I will find out later today whether or not I got the job.​
Did you get it?
 
Did you get it?
I don't know. At the end of my interview on Monday, I asked when a decision would be made, and he told me by Tuesday evening because that was when all of the interviews would end. He said that he would personally notify all eight applicants that night by phone as to whether or not they got the job. I still haven't received a call, a text, or an email. I was contemplating calling him in about 20 minutes because I do have another possible job offer, but I really would prefer this job. Should I call?​
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mem
I don't know. At the end of my interview on Monday, I asked when a decision would be made, and he told me by Tuesday evening because that was when all of the interviews would end. He said that he would personally notify all eight applicants that night by phone as to whether or not they got the job. I still haven't received a call, a text, or an email. I was contemplating calling him in about 20 minutes because I do have another possible job offer, but I really would prefer this job. Should I call?​
He may be saving you for last because you won the position. You should call and let him know about the other offer (of course letting him know you were hoping to hear positively in the case of this position), and that might help secure a better rate for you.
 
I don't know. At the end of my interview on Monday, I asked when a decision would be made, and he told me by Tuesday evening because that was when all of the interviews would end. He said that he would personally notify all eight applicants that night by phone as to whether or not they got the job. I still haven't received a call, a text, or an email. I was contemplating calling him in about 20 minutes because I do have another possible job offer, but I really would prefer this job. Should I call?​
Probably, but you should also interview for any other possible jobs. Ending up with more than one offer is a good position to be in.
 
He may be saving you for last because you won the position. You should call and let him know about the other offer (of course letting him know you were hoping to hear positively in the case of this position), and that might help secure a better rate for you.
Probably, but you should also interview for any other possible jobs. Ending up with more than one offer is a good position to be in.
I did tell him that I had another job offer at one point in my interview, and he assured me that he would let me know by Tuesday evening. To make things more interesting, since my interview, another position has opened in the same company that I just interviewed at, and I've been withholding from applying for that job until I hear back from him. I am going to call him in a few minutes. I hope that he's not off today. If he is, then I might have to call the other company which has already expressed interest in hiring me.​
 
I did tell him that I had another job offer at one point in my interview, and he assured me that he would let me know by Tuesday evening. To make things more interesting, since my interview, another position has opened in the same company that I just interviewed at, and I've been withholding from applying for that job until I hear back from him. I am going to call him in a few minutes. I hope that he's not off today. If he is, then I might have to call the other company which has already expressed interest in hiring me.​
Right, if nothing positive comes from the call (he may not handle pressure to a decision very well), you can at least move forward from there. The Lord lays out our path and goes before you.
 
Right, if nothing positive comes from the call (he may not handle pressure to a decision very well), you can at least move forward from there. The Lord lays out our path and goes before you.
I just called, and they said that he is off for the next two days. I am going to eat some breakfast and then drive to the job site to see if his assistant knows anything. Why can't people just keep their word?​
 
I just called, and they said that he is off for the next two days. I am going to eat some breakfast and then drive to the job site to see if his assistant knows anything. Why can't people just keep their word?​
Rest easy. This may be providing you a preview of how your tenure with this company will be like. Noticing your comment #13, where you said, "I hope that he's not off today. If he is...."
 
  • Like
Reactions: passion84god
Rest easy. This may be providing you a preview of how your tenure with this company will be like. Noticing your comment #13, where you said, "I hope that he's not off today. If he is...."
I went and spoke to the Manager's assistant, and she told me that the Manager won't be back in the store until Saturday. Honestly, she looked pissed that I showed up, even though I was very polite, respectful, and not the least bit impatient or pushy. I simply asked her if a decision had been made yet, and she told me that it hasn't. I hope she doesn't put a negative word in for me, but I am not sure that she even knows what applicant I am. Whatever.

Also, although I have deliberately not mentioned this before, my Manager at my current job is constantly messing with me. He has me working the next four days at a store that is an hour and a half commute in each direction, and he did not put me up in a hotel. They are supposed to put you in a hotel if your commute one way exceeds an hour. Now I have to drive three hours every day in addition to a ten hour work day. Fun times ahead. It is what it is.​
 
  • Pray
Reactions: seoulsearch
I went and spoke to the Manager's assistant, and she told me that the Manager won't be back in the store until Saturday. Honestly, she looked pissed that I showed up, even though I was very polite, respectful, and not the least bit impatient or pushy. I simply asked her if a decision had been made yet, and she told me that it hasn't. I hope she doesn't put a negative word in for me, but I am not sure that she even knows what applicant I am. Whatever.

Also, although I have deliberately not mentioned this before, my Manager at my current job is constantly messing with me. He has me working the next four days at a store that is an hour and a half commute in each direction, and he did not put me up in a hotel. They are supposed to put you in a hotel if your commute one way exceeds an hour. Now I have to drive three hours every day in addition to a ten hour work day. Fun times ahead. It is what it is.​
Yea the stresses of the workplace. People overworked and underpaid, it's the story of most people's lives.
 
I believe, almost sure God had chosen me to be, 'An Example'. Why, because this is just the very thing the world did unto me, they made me an 'example, so everyone will know, and fear.'

'An example'. Because, this is what I heard God tell me.
 
See below or that thread on 'what is your mission or calling'
A mission has a purpose, it's just the way you go about doing it, and it can be paid or unpaid. People who are 'career missionaries' are compensated, but they now have to raise a lot of funds themselves. If you are already wealthy, it's so much easier. You don't have to spend all that time labouring/working just getting food on the table. If housing is provided, you won't need to worry about that, esp if the mortgage is paid off and all you need to do is maintain it.

But as ever, if you buy a lot you need to spend more on maintaining it to the standard that it was bought, or you'd spend just as much renovating it. I'm saying a first home because everyone needs shelter or somewhere to live, and many people have careers that pay well just so they can afford a home of their own, and to raise children (at minimum, at least 2 bedrooms) and thats what people need to think about. But if you just looking after yourself you can be a lot more flexible in terms of choice in career.

If you talk to people who are already professionals in their field, they might tell you what it takes to get there, but they may not mention they got there due to nepotism, or other ways. and they might not be keen to divulge trade secrets. Or they'd have an NDA where they are not actually allowed to say anything about their job/career, until they are retired or out of it. A lot goes on behind the scenes and you may not wish to know the uglier truth.