question about the Nature of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I've also wondered about that.

anyone got something on it?
A few possibilities I have heard from time to time are:

Between his Death and Resurrection, He entered the paradise side of the grave to preach the full gospel to old testament saints like those in Hebrews 11. ( this one has historical backing in early christian authors).

He went back through spirit to the days of Noah, to preach to people alive then. (this is a very recent interpretation and lacks merit and most unlikely).

He went into the grave to preach salvation to those who did not believe on him in this life(this is taught by Universalists, I have not found this understanding before the 1800s).

He went there simply to announce his victory(this is the most recent understanding).

Personally, I put the text in the oven or back burner to learn about in heaven. And, admit that I do not know for sure.
And, I would not base a hope on it since I am only human.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
People can't just 'decide' to repent at the last minute, True repentance takes the convicting work of the Holy Spirit to bring them under conviction of their sin as what happened to the thief on the Cross.
I did say "could" not "can". It was part of my answer. I was saying if people could just repent after death then there would be no need to follow God in life.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
A few possibilities I have heard from time to time are:

Between his Death and Resurrection, He entered the paradise side of the grave to preach the full gospel to old testament saints like those in Hebrews 11. ( this one has historical backing in early christian authors).

He went back through spirit to the days of Noah, to preach to people alive then. (this is a very recent interpretation and lacks merit and most unlikely).

He went into the grave to preach salvation to those who did not believe on him in this life(this is taught by Universalists, I have not found this understanding before the 1800s).

He went there simply to announce his victory(this is the most recent understanding).

Personally, I put the text in the oven or back burner to learn about in heaven. And, admit that I do not know for sure.
And, I would not base a hope on it since I am only human.
Yup its definately one of the hard to interpret verses.

Another one is the one in Corinthians where Paul talks about being baptized for the death. Its interesting.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
My thinking is that they are brought under conviction by God in face of the Judgement and repent. Not something they planned like Constantine.

My question relates to the nature of God. We do know that everything Jesus taught and did was not written down. So, an educated guess would be based on God's Nature correct? Thanks for pointing out that truth.
Not all will repent in the face of judgment , some hearts have grown so hard that they only harden further...

Revelation 9:20-21 KJV
[20] And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: [21] Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

Mar 28, 2016
On Judgement day if a person repents will they be forgiven?
If God gives them his faith to make it possible. The question is when he does come will he find faith or would the last one already have been called home?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I did say "could" not "can". It was part of my answer. I was saying if people could just repent after death then there would be no need to follow God in life.
This is what you said, and that's how I took it...

People could live however they want and repent at the last second.
It sounded to me like the 'could' went with 'live however they want'.

In any case, they 'could' repent only if God had been working on their hearts.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
This is what you said, and that's how I took it...

It sounded to me like the 'could' went with 'live however they want'.

In any case, they 'could' repent only if God had been working on their hearts.
I am not really seeing the difference, but I think we can agree that one should follow God as soon as they have enough understanding to do so. Why put off a good thing? It is better to take what is really known.

I am trying to understand God's nature.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I am not really seeing the difference, but I think we can agree that one should follow God as soon as they have enough understanding to do so. Why put off a good thing? It is better to take what is really known.

I am trying to understand God's nature.
True, one should follow God as they have 'enough understanding to do so'.
But even this 'understanding' comes as a work of God's grace and not something we happen to 'decide' to do on our deathbed.

Notice Jesus' words here to Peter...

Mat 16:15-17
(15) He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
(16) Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
(17) And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.

Those that think they can just decide when and where they will 'choose' Jesus are highly mistaken.

This touches on one aspect of God's Nature and that is God is Sovereign.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The nature of God...I encourage you to read the Bible to find out the goodness and severity of God.

GOds nature is that he will judge the wicked and pardon the faithful. A contrite and humble heart he will not despise. GOd resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. God is merciful and works things out for good for those who love HIm.

What is judgement day, well by that time, that is the day we will be judged. Since God is going to be judging us on the intents and purposes of our HEARTS, he knows everything and will judge righteously. We are all naked before Him.

Each day one spends with God is like a judgement day, because you are facing up to Him. Because of Jesus we can boldly come to the throne of grace at any time (in the old testament, it was just once a year on atonement day or yom kippur) . Jesus is our covering for our sin. If we do not come in Jesus name, we can receive no forgiveness, because his blood paid for our sin. Without blood there is no remission of sin.

Does this answer your question...? Today is the day of salvation if you dont harden your heart...you dont have to wait till you die...Jesus has made a way for us.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The nature of God...I encourage you to read the Bible to find out the goodness and severity of God.

GOds nature is that he will judge the wicked and pardon the faithful. A contrite and humble heart he will not despise. GOd resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. God is merciful and works things out for good for those who love HIm.

What is judgement day, well by that time, that is the day we will be judged. Since God is going to be judging us on the intents and purposes of our HEARTS, he knows everything and will judge righteously. We are all naked before Him.

Each day one spends with God is like a judgement day, because you are facing up to Him. Because of Jesus we can boldly come to the throne of grace at any time (in the old testament, it was just once a year on atonement day or yom kippur) . Jesus is our covering for our sin. If we do not come in Jesus name, we can receive no forgiveness, because his blood paid for our sin. Without blood there is no remission of sin.

Does this answer your question...? Today is the day of salvation if you dont harden your heart...you dont have to wait till you die...Jesus has made a way for us.
Not really

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
True, one should follow God as they have 'enough understanding to do so'.
But even this 'understanding' comes as a work of God's grace and not something we happen to 'decide' to do on our deathbed.

Notice Jesus' words here to Peter...

Mat 16:15-17
(15) He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”
(16) Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
(17) And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.

Those that think they can just decide when and where they will 'choose' Jesus are highly mistaken.

This touches on one aspect of God's Nature and that is God is Sovereign.
Knowing me, I would even be trying to tell them about Jesus at the Judgement. :)

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
How can you prove that based on God's full Nature, He is both Just and Merciful. We do not have the words for everything Jesus taught.
A person after death is still a rational being right? If confronted with their sin at the Judgement and convicted by God... would not one rationally repent?
If the Gospel is revealed to them in this life then they will be confronted with their sin.. If they rebel against Gods Word here on earth they have already condemned themselves, They have made their decision..

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
Not all will repent in the face of judgment , some hearts have grown so hard that they only harden further...

Revelation 9:20-21 KJV
[20] And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk: [21] Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.
This scripture has always amazed me, that men will be going through and seeing first hand total destruction and the wrath of God upon the earth and still not repent. Yet, these folks are still alive at this time and I think that is why they still have a chance to repent even though they don't. Yet, in the end, they will bow and confess, but it will be too late when they are standing in judgment. Just my thoughts on it, anyhow.

Romans 14:11 King James Version (KJV)

11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
If the Gospel is revealed to them in this life then they will be confronted with their sin.. If they rebel against Gods Word here on earth they have already condemned themselves, They have made their decision..
So, you are saying the Holy Spirit is unable to convict one of sin at the judgement? Is that not limiting God?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
This scripture has always amazed me, that men will be going through and seeing first hand total destruction and the wrath of God upon the earth and still not repent. Yet, these folks are still alive at this time and I think that is why they still have a chance to repent even though they don't. Yet, in the end, they will bow and confess, but it will be too late when they are standing in judgment. Just my thoughts on it, anyhow.

Romans 14:11 King James Version (KJV)

11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
1 Corinthians 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:10-12 Good News Translation (GNT)
10 You then, who eat only vegetables—why do you pass judgment on others? And you who eat anything—why do you despise other believers? All of us will stand before God to be judged by him. 11 For the scripture says,

“As surely as I am the living God, says the Lord,
everyone will kneel before me,
and everyone will confess that I am God.”

12 Every one of us, then, will have to give an account to God.

Since, no one can confess that Jesus is God except by the Holy Spirit, We all will give an account of our actions, then it is possible for one to repent!!! I never made that connection before.

Philippians 2:9-11 King James Version (KJV)
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1ofthem

Mar 30, 2016
1 Corinthians 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:10-12 Good News Translation (GNT)
10 You then, who eat only vegetables—why do you pass judgment on others? And you who eat anything—why do you despise other believers? All of us will stand before God to be judged by him. 11 For the scripture says,

“As surely as I am the living God, says the Lord,
everyone will kneel before me,
and everyone will confess that I am God.”

12 Every one of us, then, will have to give an account to God.

Since, no one can confess that Jesus is God except by the Holy Spirit, We all will give an account of our actions, then it is possible for one to repent!!! I never made that connection before.

Philippians 2:9-11 King James Version (KJV)
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
I think this means that although all knees will bow and every tongue will confess, there does come a point in which it is too late to repent...because we know not all people will be saved. I think judgement day will definitely be too late. Also, I don't think there is any chance for repentance after death. One example can be found in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus. The rich man seemed truly sorrowful, but was still in hell and torture anyhow. He even asked if he could send Lazarus to warn his brothers. There was no repentance for him and he seemed to know it was too late for him, but wanted someone to warn his brothers while they were still alive. Once again this is just some of my thoughts on it.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
On Judgement day if a person repents will they be forgiven?
It would be too late. That's why there are so many dire warnings in the Bible. And the Gospel says that the day of salvation is "Today".

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
So, you are saying the Holy Spirit is unable to convict one of sin at the judgement? Is that not limiting God?
I said what i said nothing more nothing less.. If a person has the will of God given to them in this life and the Way of salvation God has made for them to be saved and if they reject the will of God and His Way of salvation they will be damned..

Rejecting Jesus and His way of salvation will be what condemns them