Question about the words "the Lord" and "Lord"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
When someone uses the words "the Lord" or the word "Lord" in song, in conversation, or however, does it always mean Jesus Christ?

TM19782017

Dec 15, 2018
Ask yourself this,....does adding the word The in front of a word, change it’s meaning to you?

As in Simon Peter’s response
“The” Christ

If he said, Christ only, does that change YOUR understanding?

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
The main difference I've seen is LORD is all capitals in the OT.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
When someone uses the words "the Lord" or the word "Lord" in song, in conversation, or however, does it always mean Jesus Christ?
Hi LeeLoving, we know that God the Father is also called "Lord". For instance:

Matthew 11
25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.​

But I believe that Jesus, both pre-incarnate and Incarnate, is more typically the One being referred to when "Lord" is used (particularly in the NT, but I believe this is true in the OT as well .. since I have come to believe that most of the physical appearances of God in the OT were actually made by the pre-incarnate Jesus/God the Son).

Here is an example of "Lord" being used for both the Father and the Son in the same verse.

Psalm 110
1 The LORD says to my Lord:
“Sit at My right hand
Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”

Just FYI, you may find that what David said in Hebrew (in Psalm 110:1) is also worth noting.

"The Lord (יְהוִה [Yâhovah/YHWH/Yahweh]) says to my Lord (אָדֹון [ʾadown/ʾadon/Adonai].​

~Deut

Apr 15, 2017
Usually when we say Lord we mean Jesus, for He is the Lord Jesus Christ, and I think in many songs that is what they mean, and in conversation.

They seem to attribute LORD to the Father, and Lord to Jesus, which it becomes a smaller case for the last 3 letters, for it is God manifest in the flesh, where LORD would be God without the manifestation in flesh, so all capital letters.

Psa 110:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.

Which is indicated here when David said LORD meaning God without the manifestation in flesh, and said Lord concerning the Savior who is God in a manifestation.

So if you see LORD in a song it seems that they mean Father, and when you see Lord it seems that they mean Jesus.

So in the Old Testament without the manifestation on earth it is LORD, and in the New Testament with the manifestation it is Lord, for Jesus is the Prince of peace, and the King of kings, but God without the manifestation is no prince, but He is only the King, and Ruler of all.

When we say Lord in conversation it would seem that the way we talk would indicate whether Father, or Jesus, but a lot of people say Father, and when they are saying Lord they mean Jesus.

When we write we usually say Father, and Lord for Jesus.

But most people will write LORD when speaking of the Old Testament, and Lord when writing about the New Testament.

Mat 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

But Jesus referred to the Father as Lord without all capitals, for Jesus is the only way we can see the invisible God, the Father, which Jesus told Philip that if he had seen Him, he has seen the Father, and the words that He speaks are not His own, but the Father that dwells in Him, He does the works.

And said I and My Father are one, which the man Christ Jesus, and the Father are one, for Jesus is the man Christ Jesus, and God, for He is God manifest in the flesh, and Jesus said that Him as human, and the Father, are two witnesses that bear witness to the truth.

2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Here it says that the Lord is that Spirit, and Jesus was conceived by the Spirit.

Because contrary to what many people believe Jesus is the only person we will see in heaven, which He is the fulness of the Godhead bodily, so if we see Jesus we see the Father, and the Lord is that Spirit.

For we will only see God by Jesus, and Jesus does not sit on a throne in heaven next to the Father.

God's right hand represents power, salvation, and wisdom.

There is only one throne in heaven, and one who sits on that throne, which is the throne of God and the Lamb, God in the glorified body of the man Christ Jesus.

There is only one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, for the man Christ Jesus is our Savior, for only a sinless man can reconcile the world unto God, but no man is sinless so God manifest Himself in flesh, and reconciled the world unto Himself in the person of Jesus Christ, God and man in harmony.

Which Jesus is at the right hand of God.

Jesus said all power is given unto Him in heaven and earth.

David said the LORD said unto my Lord, sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool.

Which the Son must reign until all His enemies are conquered, then the Son shall submit to God, even the Father, that God may be all in all.

God exalted the man Christ Jesus to exercise the throne of power, be at His right hand, until His enemies are conquered, and the saints are with Jesus, then the Son shall stop exercising the throne of power, stop being at the right hand, for His mediator role is no longer in effect, that God may be all in all.

So Jesus is the only visible manifestation of God we will see in heaven, and if we have seen Jesus we have seen the Father, and seen the Holy Spirit, for there is one God.

Jesus is the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

So in the New Testament we refer to the Father as Lord, the same as Jesus as Lord, for we are dealing with God by His visible manifestation to us that gave us salvation.

But without the manifestation He is the LORD, and it is because of the manifestation in flesh that makes Him Lord.

God dealt with Israel in the Old Testament without the manifestation, LORD, and God deals with the world in the New Testament as God manifest in flesh, Lord, for no man comes unto the Father except through the Son.

But many people that see Lord in a song, and write Lord, will not think of the Father, but of Jesus, but Jesus called the Father, Lord, and the Lord is that Spirit.

QuoBono

May 20, 2019
The main difference I've seen is LORD is all capitals in the OT.
In the OT it's the difference between "Adonai" and YHWH. All uppercase letters indicate YHWH.