Question for partial preterists

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Hi, do PP believe these verses have been fulfilled?

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I have looked into preterism over the last 6 months or so, and there does not seem to be much consensus among preterists (at least from what I can see in online material produced) concerning what has actually happened already and what is yet to come. I think "partial preterism" is an umbrella term that covers everything in between full-preterism and a progressive-historic interpretation. So, some would say "yes" and some would say "no".

Personally, I find the idea that this was fulfilled by the destruction of Jerusalem and the Temple to be... underwhelming. Yes, the city was destroyed, and LOTS of Jews died. No doubt the 70AD event was significant- but it was not the earth-shattering age-ending event that the preterists seem to portray it as. The Jewish people survived, and their rebellion against the Roman Empire continued even after the destruction of the city and the temple- and even after the last remnant of Jewish power was snuffed out; the Jewish people and more importantly, rabbinic-Judaism survived. There was a reprieve for Christians from being persecuted by Jews, but persecution by the Romans continued until the fourth century. I highly doubt that the 70AD event was everything the first century Christians were looking forward to in a "new earth". I don't understand how their "great hope" would be a destroyed Jerusalem and a bunch of dead Jews.

Jan 14, 2021
Good question. I'm not sure if we have any resident preterists that would make comment, but I suspect it would be slotted in as colourful language for the destruction of the temple.

Isaskar

Nov 13, 2021
Preterism is harder to accept than historicism or futurism. Preterists rest their hat on the time elements in the bible, like "soon" in the book of Revelation, without looking up the possible meanings of the word. It could also mean will come to pass quickly, meaning once they start its 42 months and its over. The grand finale. Preterists would argue im twisting the text, I would argue they are twisting the text(s) by reducing all these grand events as just AD 70 destruction of Jerusalem.

A

Avery

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

If you think the partials are hard to comprehend, try the full Preterists. There's a trip down the light fantastic. :whistle:

I have been instructed that it's all over folks and we are living in the kingdom. By a full Preterist. I resisted the urge to laugh because he was serious.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
And if you think Full-preterism is too-hot to handle, get a load of this guy. (intro ends at 1:25)

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
*****Just so everyone KNOWS*****
I am not promoting this guy- he is nuts. He IS good with the scriptures sometimes, I'll give him that, but he is nuts, and he is wrong.

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
And really, one of the things that I have found about pretersim- I know there are "orthodox" preterists out there. And I want them to stay "orthodox"- but I just wanted to demonstrate how nutty preterism can be if you take it too far (and that goes for other doctrines too) ... it essentially led this guy to apostasy.

soberxp

May 3, 2018

My understanding is that the description here is a kind of parable.

The parable is that when our Lord comes to this world, his light can "melt" everything.The light of truth can "melt" anything

Just my understanding, for reference only.

P

pottersclay

What do you think...as a thief in the night means?

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
What do you think...as a thief in the night means?
Unexpected, as in those that don't believe wouldn't expect Him, considering they don't even acknowledge His Existence.

P

pottersclay

Unexpected, as in those that don't believe wouldn't expect Him, considering they don't even acknowledge His Existence.
Thats a good anology but just a very little part of it. As a thief in the night. Now we know that revelation says every eye shall see him but yet this scripture says as a thief in the night.

P

pottersclay

King James Bible
I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work

Does this verse help? Is jesus talking about unbelievers or a certain time?

P

pottersclay

John 1:5
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
This is a truth but also a event. There will come a time when men reject sound doctrine this we do know. They beleive a lie rather than the truth.
Judgement starts in the house of the Lord. Jerusalem was and will be again the house of the Lord.
So looking at the old testament we see that judgement usually starts with a famine.
A famine of Gods word over the the whole world (in the nations) will produce darkness ( spiritual darkness). This is the darkness that jesus refers to when he he says his coming is as a thief in the night.

P

pottersclay

This is a truth but also a event. There will come a time when men reject sound doctrine this we do know. They beleive a lie rather than the truth.
Judgement starts in the house of the Lord. Jerusalem was and will be again the house of the Lord.
So looking at the old testament we see that judgement usually starts with a famine.
A famine of Gods word over the the whole world (in the nations) will produce darkness ( spiritual darkness). This is the darkness that jesus refers to when he he says his coming is as a thief in the night.
I would like to develop this with any one that has a ear you might be surprised.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
King James Bible
I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work

Does this verse help? Is jesus talking about unbelievers or a certain time?
Although the night may come upon everyone, His coming shall not not be as a thief for us.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Thats a good anology but just a very little part of it. As a thief in the night. Now we know that revelation says every eye shall see him but yet this scripture says as a thief in the night.
Yes, the scary part is "waking up" too late, after your house is broken into and you see the thief standing right there in front of you. However, I can be confident My house is secure.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
I agree with you. I think most of the darkness of spiritual life is not understood when loving your enemies,Matthew 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Yes, the scary part is "waking up" too late, after your house is broken into and you see the thief standing right there in front of you. However, I can be confident My house is secure.
What God does is beyond our imagination and beyond our ability to measure.