Question!

• Thread starter heartbrokenandhoping
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

heartbrokenandhoping

Okay this is going to be a really random question, but it's been on my mind lately and I was really curious what others' opinions are! So whenever I see a spider, ant, etc. in my house, my natural reaction is to get a shoe or tissue and kill it. But I started thinking the other day, what would God say about that? Technically that's killing His creations, I don't know. So yeah, definitely an out of the blue question but what do you guys think?

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
They were created to be killed...

But seriously... insects can carry disease, they can cause allergic reactions, even to the point of death. So I have NO problem killing a bug.

MartyrNdaMaKn

Jan 22, 2013
God gave us dominion over all creepy crawly things. So, if they can harm they get squashed.

J

juststopandthink

I think about the distinction between clean & unclean things. God made lotsa stuff for our edification. The more I learn about biology the more impressed I am with God's design. (For instance, how quickly the food eaten by a pig becomes part of its flesh, demonstrating how little they have actually processed it.)

So when it comes to killing stuff...I think about how stuff with "nephesh" (breath) was the only stuff that had any 'rules' about killing it. (Like, mosquitoes don't have lungs, they breathe through their skin.) When God put stuff on the ark, you'll notice bugs weren't on the list. I think it's quite alright to squish 'em.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Okay this is going to be a really random question, but it's been on my mind lately and I was really curious what others' opinions are! So whenever I see a spider, ant, etc. in my house, my natural reaction is to get a shoe or tissue and kill it. But I started thinking the other day, what would God say about that? Technically that's killing His creations, I don't know. So yeah, definitely an out of the blue question but what do you guys think?
I've wondered the same thing a time or two myself. LOL. :) I agree with everyone else. Bugs are evil (to me anyway, lol)!! If I see a huge spider in my house, you can bet I'm gonna pull out my can of Raid and spray that sucker til he's dead!!! Then, of course, I'll pick it up (AFTER it's dead) in a tissue, and give it a proper burial at sea. I usually only kill creepy crawlies, like ants, flying termites, spiders, and such. The more useful ones such as butterflies, ladybugs, etc I will leave alone. :)

W

wwjd_kilden

I don't think God counts it as murder as it would be if you killed a human

--- but by all means, if you can get them out without killing them I think that's nice :)
(I tend to let most bugs out safely, but I must admit I still kill wasps)

I

inthewind

Matthew 8

[SUP]28 [/SUP]And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. [SUP]29 [/SUP]And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time? [SUP]30 [/SUP]And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding. [SUP]31 [/SUP]So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine. [SUP]32 [/SUP]And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters. [SUP]33 [/SUP]And they that kept them fled, and went their ways into the city, and told every thing, and what was befallen to the possessed of the devils.

W

Wandering_Here

As a previous poster said, we have dominion over animals. But still I try not to kill things unless there's a real reason to. I'll kill a poisonous spider, but I'll put non-poisonous ones outside.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I don't think God counts it as murder as it would be if you killed a human

--- but by all means, if you can get them out without killing them I think that's nice :)
(I tend to let most bugs out safely, but I must admit I still kill wasps)
It's murder only if you don't eat them. :p

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
The only good (insert pestilence here) is a dead (insert pestilence here).

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
One day i killed a moth and before I flushed it down the toilet I peered into his beady little eyes, I was never the same again...lol

Poor little guy, he just wanted to get to the moon.

IDEAtor

Aug 15, 2012
In the last chapter of James, we are told that Elijah prayed for it stop raining and it did-- for 3 years.
Instead of killing them one by one, just get a righteous man to pray them away :)
Caution, if he prays for their return... move.

Seriously, though, I think God knows your intentions.
I am sure He appreciates your change of heart, if not your actions.

Scripture says to "keep in step with the spirit"... so, just keep on steppin' (either around or on those little annoyances called bugs).

flowerof3

May 1, 2011
umm i usually scream right before they see my shoe or do they scream right before??????????? but seriously if it's inside they are disposed of but outside i go the other way...but a centipede...oh i can't even finish creepy creepy!!!!!

S

StoneThrower

Consider it Gods fitness plan :) Seriously though its ok to kill them, they serve a purpose in the creative order and you keeping them outside your house wont interfere with that.