Questions about Christianity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Bataal

Apr 3, 2024
Salam to All

I have some questions and I'm seeking answers here to gain a better understanding of Christianity. I hope this is the appropriate place to ask. If not, please advise me on where I can find the right platform to discuss or post my questions.

I understand that Christianity is comprised of two main groups: Catholicism and another group. Could you please clarify if there are differences between these two groups, or if they are essentially the same?

In our Islam religion, we have two groups known as Sunnah and Shia, and there are notable differences between them.

Thanks

Ba Ta

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Salam to All

I have some questions and I'm seeking answers here to gain a better understanding of Christianity. I hope this is the appropriate place to ask. If not, please advise me on where I can find the right platform to discuss or post my questions.

I understand that Christianity is comprised of two main groups: Catholicism and another group. Could you please clarify if there are differences between these two groups, or if they are essentially the same?

In our Islam religion, we have two groups known as Sunnah and Shia, and there are notable differences between them.

Thanks

Ba Ta
I guess the two main groups people usually think of are Catholic and Protestant; and yes, there are many differences between them. But there are other large groups like Evangelicals, Nondenominational, and Charismatics. And there are a lot of people who don't affiliate with any group. Christianity isn't about what group you affiliate with, but Who you affiliate with: the Lord Jesus.

Bataal

Apr 3, 2024
I guess the two main groups people usually think of are Catholic and Protestant; and yes, there are many differences between them. But there are other large groups like Evangelicals, Nondenominational, and Charismatics. And there are a lot of people who don't affiliate with any group. Christianity isn't about what group you affiliate with, but Who you affiliate with: the Lord Jesus.
Really thank you for your reply.
Yes, I thought it is only two groups but now I understand they are many groups, but do each group has its own holy books? teachings?
Or many groups with one holy books and teachings?

Yes, initially I thought there were only two groups, but now I understand that there are actually many different Christian denominations. If so, do each of these groups have their own holy books and teachings? Or do they share a common set of holy books and teachings despite their differences in practice and interpretation?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The Bible is the primary book used by all of them; however, Catholics have what they call the "Catechism" which is their interpretation of the Bible and includes church teachings, policies, and procedures. Likewise, many of the Protestant groups have "Confessions" which are statements of belief and practice. The other groups don't have books like Catechisms or Confessions but usually have a statement of belief or doctrine which most of the people in the group believe. Then there are those who only use the Bible as their only authority.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Salam to All

Thanks

Ba Ta
Well welcome Bataal, I pray truth for all those who seek it, because there is only 1 truth. I am also automatically suspicious of this kind of approach coming from a Muslim. Not because I'm racist or think I know your heart or motives at all, but simply because I have engaged with this exact approach from the Muslim community too many times to count. It's a common approach to come in like they are just seeking to understand, when in fact they are just trying to set up and present a "gotcha" kind of assertion, with their motives never ever being to honestly understand or grow closer to the truth.

The fact you list the Sunnah and Shia as a parallel to understanding the Catholic vs. "Whatever" lends a little credence to your sincerity, and I'm going to start in good faith like you are truly seeking to truly understand.

This was a very good way to set up the question in my opinion because we can clear something up from the start. Being a Christian has NOTHING to do with any secondary titles men put un it. Being a Christian is an actual human condition that "happens" to us. This transformation can happen to any person on earth no matter what they call themselves or others call them. That said, once they are born again they WILL KNOW that Jesus is Gods Son and how they've been spiritually resurrected and reconciled to our Creator. They "KNOW THIS" because being reconciled to Gods Spirit is also know as being filled with the Holy Spirit.

I know that's a lot to take in, but I am trying to explain to you how your whole frame of reference in the way you ask the question is sidestepping what the truth really is and focusing on man made labels and system that only distract from the truth. There is only 1 kind of Christian and only one way to become a Christian (be born again) as well as one church in truth, and Jesus is it's head, at the right hand of God on His throne SEATED, and must reign until every enemy has been made a footstool for His feet. You don't enter into His kingdom by any man made system, by any special prayer or password, you ONLY enter through Jesus our Lord on your knees knowing you can't do it and turning to Jesus for EVERYTHING. You enter by His blood and His blood alone. Now we can go into why I think the Roman Catholic Church is false and how it contradicts His word. Or we can talk about this book we call the Bible and how we have that now. We can approach it from any angle you want. But first I am much more curious about something else.

How do you feel about explaining some things to me about Islam that I find very troubling. Are you as comfortable with me asking questions about who Mohammed was and how he conducted himself, how he ran his followers, what exactly it was he taught and is taught today? Can I ask about the Hadiths and the insane wickedness found in them, or even the method that Islam has spread across the world. Are you as open to explaining your beliefs as you are questioning ours? Because I am not trying to insult, demean, or "get" anyone either. If you want to truly seek the truth of these thing together then there's nothing I'd rather do.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Salam to All

Thanks

Ba Ta
Every Christian uses the Bible as the basis for their faith. We believe in the same Moses as you....however where we diverge is in Isaac vx Ishmael as being the son of promise. The word "Christ" is ancient Greek for the Hebrew word "Messiah".

Because through Isaac's lineage came Jesus of Nazareth. Whom we believe lived a sinless life, was killed and rose again on the third day. Jesus's sacrifice atones for our sins so we can have access to God and ultimately Heaven. It requires faith in Jesus and His sacrifice and lifestyle and teachings. We believe that Jesus is the Son of God being God himself.

All Christians believe this. The exercise of this faith is where we differ. Some prefer more structure and ritual where others desire less.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Salam to All

Thanks

Ba Ta
Welcome. Glad you are here.
Can I ask why you have an interest in learning about Christianity?

Bataal

Apr 3, 2024
The Bible is the primary book used by all of them; however, Catholics have what they call the "Catechism" which is their interpretation of the Bible and includes church teachings, policies, and procedures. Likewise, many of the Protestant groups have "Confessions" which are statements of belief and practice. The other groups don't have books like Catechisms or Confessions but usually have a statement of belief or doctrine which most of the people in the group believe. Then there are those who only use the Bible as their only authority.
I really like your explanation in simple way which easy for me to get it because I try to go through the internet for explanation and find it difficult to me in some, and I think because I don't perfect English language. So, really thank you.

Christianity isn't about what group you affiliate with, but Who you affiliate with: the Lord Jesus.
Regarding your say above, in your 1st post
How to affiliate with the Lord Jesus without follow any group or teachings? I have to follow up someone/group to get the information/teaching. Can you explain too please?

Another question please, Is the Bible a single one book that the same for all Christian groups? Is the bible considered a holy book from God? the speech of God? or it is a book from followers?
In Islam, the Quraán is our holy Book and it is the direct speech of Allah/God. Can I say that both are the similar (Bible & Quráan)? or it is like the book of Hadith as there in our Islam?

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I really like your explanation in simple way which easy for me to get it because I try to go through the internet for explanation and find it difficult to me in some, and I think because I don't perfect English language. So, really thank you.

How to affiliate with the Lord Jesus without follow any group or teachings? I have to follow up someone/group to get the information/teaching. Can you explain too please?

Another question please, Is the Bible a single one book that the same for all Christian groups? Is the bible considered a holy book from God? the speech of God? or it is a book from followers?
In Islam, the Quraán is our holy Book and it is the direct speech of Allah/God. Can I say that both are the similar (Bible & Quráan)? or it is like the book of Hadith as there in our Islam?
Yes, the Bible is God's word to mankind. I'm not prepared to participate in a lengthy question and answer session. If you want to know my opinions about Christianity, read the Bible; that's my source for faith and practice.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Salam to All

Thanks

Ba Ta
There are more then two groups in Christianity..

the catholic religion is a works salvation religion.. This means that ones good deeds and ones religious observance and avoidance of sin determine ones entry or non entry into paradise..

Some of the other Christian groups also preach the Works salvation doctrine..

Some Christian groups called protestants support a Grave salvation doctrine.. Meaning that humans will obtain entry into paradise by believing the teachings of Jesus and trusting that the execution of Jesus pays the death penalty that was due upon them for their sins.. This is true Christianity.. Just to clarify that some protestant groups also preach works salvation like the catholic religion..

There are other differences between the different groups but the main division is between Works salvation supporting groups and grace salvation supporting groups..

I hope this has clarified the basics for you..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The Holy Bible is a compilation of 66 books for Protestants, This includes books from the Torah ( Jewish Book ) and the New Testament Books called the Gospels.. Included with the Gospels is what you would call the Accepted Hadith's of Christianity.. There small books/ letters where written by the followers of Jesus John and Peter and the One who spread Christianity to the non-Jews Paul..

The quran and the Bible are different which is why the Christian religion and the islamic religion are different..

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021

Most Christians today do not know much about the Bible. I can answer some things about it.
The Bible we use today was written partially 5700 years ago and completed 2,000 years ago. And is similar to the Quraan and six books of Hadith all in one. It contains Law, History, Prophets, Songs, and wisdom in the Old Testament (Before Jesus) and then Gospels and advice how to live and a final prophecy of the future.

The Bible has 40+ people who authored it but we believe they were inspired by God. The writings each were given over 100 tests of authentication before they were added to the Bible. (We never allow anyone to add anything to the Bible despite how popular they might have been)

Mosheh or Moses wrote the first 5 books also called the Torah or Book of the Law. And Spiritual Leaders, Kings, and sometimes simple men wrote the rest.

Writing was a very expensive task and few knew how to do it. It wasn't until Rome conquered the world that reading and writing became popular. However the history of Israel started by them learning this skill over 5700 years ago.
Paper and ink were expensive that many years ago. During the Roman Empire the 5 books of Moses would cost a year's wages. Before then the cost was even higher.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
David Wood does a lot of work refuting Islam.

Here’s one of his videos that may interest you.

Bataal

Apr 3, 2024
Well welcome Bataal, I pray truth for all those who seek it, because there is only 1 truth. I am also automatically suspicious of this kind of approach coming from a Muslim. Not because I'm racist or think I know your heart or motives at all, but simply because I have engaged with this exact approach from the Muslim community too many times to count. It's a common approach to come in like they are just seeking to understand, when in fact they are just trying to set up and present a "gotcha" kind of assertion, with their motives never ever being to honestly understand or grow closer to the truth.

The fact you list the Sunnah and Shia as a parallel to understanding the Catholic vs. "Whatever" lends a little credence to your sincerity, and I'm going to start in good faith like you are truly seeking to truly understand.
Thank you for your reply but I don't need to pretending or setting up a "gotcha" situation. (gotcha made me go through internet to understand what does it mean :)) For me, if I want to debate or make a trick, I will say it in the beginning and tell you that there is some things in Christianity which I find very troubling and that's it.

This was a very good way to set up the question in my opinion because we can clear something up from the start. Being a Christian has NOTHING to do with any secondary titles men put un it. Being a Christian is an actual human condition that "happens" to us. This transformation can happen to any person on earth no matter what they call themselves or others call them. That said, once they are born again they WILL KNOW that Jesus is Gods Son and how they've been spiritually resurrected and reconciled to our Creator. They "KNOW THIS" because being reconciled to Gods Spirit is also know as being filled with the Holy Spirit.

I know that's a lot to take in, but I am trying to explain to you how your whole frame of reference in the way you ask the question is sidestepping what the truth really is and focusing on man made labels and system that only distract from the truth. There is only 1 kind of Christian and only one way to become a Christian (be born again) as well as one church in truth, and Jesus is it's head, at the right hand of God on His throne SEATED, and must reign until every enemy has been made a footstool for His feet. You don't enter into His kingdom by any man made system, by any special prayer or password, you ONLY enter through Jesus our Lord on your knees knowing you can't do it and turning to Jesus for EVERYTHING. You enter by His blood and His blood alone. Now we can go into why I think the Roman Catholic Church is false and how it contradicts His word. Or we can talk about this book we call the Bible and how we have that now. We can approach it from any angle you want. But first I am much more curious about something else.
I initially mentioned that I had some questions, but now I think you make me have much questions :)

How do you feel about explaining some things to me about Islam that I find very troubling. Are you as comfortable with me asking questions about who Mohammed was and how he conducted himself, how he ran his followers, what exactly it was he taught and is taught today? Can I ask about the Hadiths and the insane wickedness found in them, or even the method that Islam has spread across the world. Are you as open to explaining your beliefs as you are questioning ours? Because I am not trying to insult, demean, or "get" anyone either. If you want to truly seek the truth of these thing together then there's nothing I'd rather do.
If you wish to engage in a discussion or ask questions about troubling aspects of Islam, I am open to it. I will try to provide information, clarify any doubts, and engage in a respectful conversation.
I believe that anyone who believes in God should be willing to defend and respond to doubts or inquiries about their religion. It is important not to shy away from answering and seeking understanding. I'm not a devout or practicing Muslim, but if I am not knowledgeable about a specific topic in Islam, I usually consult someone who is, in order to obtain a satisfactory answer that aligns with logical reasoning and the teachings of God. The important for me is to come to the truth.

And I agree with you that there can be questionable and unreliable statements in Hadiths, and it is known that not all Hadiths are considered authentic. However, I believe that there are answers for everything, and I am confident that other religions may have similar aspects and has unreliable statements. That is why I have come here to ask and learn more, exploring the similarities and differences between both religions to know the truth.

tylerbones1313

May 1, 2022
Salam to All

Thanks

Ba Ta
to be a true christian:
1. Believe Jesus is fully God and fully Man
2. That He died on the cross for all the world to be saved all those who believe. John 3:16
3. That on the 3rd day He rose from the grave
4. Acts 2:38 instructions on salvation
5. The Bible is the final and only authority by which to live to the best of our abilities

brighthouse98

Apr 16, 2015
In the time when Jesus roamed upon the earth this was, but one class (Acts 11:19-26) Man has placed believers or Christians into categories not the Lord! If one is a Christian, then that person understands God's Word as well!! (James 1:22) and if one claims to be one then he or she is a follower of God's Word as well. We are far from perfect in our life. But as a Christian, I would call us disciples, for a disciple follows Jesus and his Word. For in truth is where a true Christian makes their stand through our Jesus!

Dec 3, 2023
Salam to All

Thanks

Ba Ta
The Koran says that Muslims should unite.Why did it become two different factions?Because they don't listen to the Koran, the lord.God.Allah.

The same reason.It has been stated in the Bible.There is only one head of state, Jesus Christ.There is no such thing as a sect.It is a mistake to distinguish Catholicism from Christianity.
It is clearly stated in the Bible that we should only listen to the teaching of Jesus Christ.Jesus Christ said I was sent by my father.the father here is God, but Jesus Christ is the son of God and God himself.It's not just what you think, it's just the messenger of God.

Jimbone

Aug 22, 2014
Thank you for your reply but I don't need to pretending or setting up a "gotcha" situation. (gotcha made me go through internet to understand what does it mean :)) For me, if I want to debate or make a trick, I will say it in the beginning and tell you that there is some things in Christianity which I find very troubling and that's it.

I initially mentioned that I had some questions, but now I think you make me have much questions :)

If you wish to engage in a discussion or ask questions about troubling aspects of Islam, I am open to it. I will try to provide information, clarify any doubts, and engage in a respectful conversation.
I believe that anyone who believes in God should be willing to defend and respond to doubts or inquiries about their religion. It is important not to shy away from answering and seeking understanding. I'm not a devout or practicing Muslim, but if I am not knowledgeable about a specific topic in Islam, I usually consult someone who is, in order to obtain a satisfactory answer that aligns with logical reasoning and the teachings of God. The important for me is to come to the truth.

And I agree with you that there can be questionable and unreliable statements in Hadiths, and it is known that not all Hadiths are considered authentic. However, I believe that there are answers for everything, and I am confident that other religions may have similar aspects and has unreliable statements. That is why I have come here to ask and learn more, exploring the similarities and differences between both religions to know the truth.
I hope you weren't too offended by my skepticism about your motives or tactics. Again I only feel that way because I've actually encountered this type of approach from specifically Muslim apologist so many times it just seems a regular approach. That's the only reason, I wasn't trying to accuse you or anything, just have to approach these things with wisdom and shoot strait with each other. I'm actually pretty familiar with the Muslim apologist and polemic argument against the Christian faith and this has been an interest of mine for a while. I pretty familiar with the Quran both it's contents and historicity and how it came to be what it is today.

You said, "I believe that anyone who believes in God should be willing to defend and respond to doubts or inquiries about their religion. It is important not to shy away from answering and seeking understanding. I'm not a devout or practicing Muslim,"

I agree with this 1000%, right up to the part I made bold. What are you saying here exactly? That you don't know very much about Islam? Every Christian is called to give a reason defense for the love that's inside of them, yet I hear this nearly every time I engage with a Muslim. To me it seems to be some kind of preemptive exit ramp in case something uncomfortable is asked. This also highlights one of the biggest red flags of Islam in my opinion. It's only "properly" spoken and understood in Arabic, so that becomes a "go to" excuse when something more uncomfortable comes up. Also please do understand I am not trying to dump these accusation all over you like you're guilty of any of them. I'm just trying to lay out where I stand in a very open and honest fashion.

That all said I do also agree that these things should be dealt with in a respectful and honest manner. Just calling each other names, or hurling lies and misunderstandings at each other doesn't benefit anyone at all. I am a firm believer that there is a truth and we can know that truth, so seeking it out is the most important thing we can do, so I am all for this as well.

What exactly are your biggest "hang ups" with Jesus, not Isa, but the Jesus that was crucified on the cross and died? I want to point out that this fact alone makes this two different people, it has to be by the law of noncontradiction. So I am not asking about Isa, but the true Jesus that died on the cross and is written about in the Old and New Testaments, or Torah and Al-Injil, what are your problems with Him? Or you can just give your biggest problem, but I'm most curious to know what you think of my Jesus.

Bataal

Apr 3, 2024
Yes, the Bible is God's word to mankind. I'm not prepared to participate in a lengthy question and answer session. If you want to know my opinions about Christianity, read the Bible; that's my source for faith and practice.
Thank you
You belong to a group that only relies on the Bible as their only authority.
Can you tell me where can I download the Bible?
I don't want the Catechism, not Confessions, nor statement of belief. I don't want any book made my human.
I want only the primary book which is God's word to mankind.