Questions for the mature older members...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Does life begin after 50?
What is there to look forward to when you cross the mid century mark?
While I know this could turn into a You know youre old when you... type of thread I am genuinely curious as to whether the senior members here are living their best life?
Do you think you are still young at heart?
Age is just a number... I think of the verse This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. I don't think about age, but about doing things that are pleasing to God and make me happy... at that moment. Can someone actually live their best life? EVERYONE can improve on something regardless of age.

I still play video games about 5-10 hours a week to see if I still have good eye hand coordination lol. I still collect sports cards and act like a kid at Christmas when I receive them. Does that qualify young at heart? Maybe... I try to embrace who I am and how God made me. Have fun and praise God along the way.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
While I know this could turn into a You know youre old when you... type of thread I am genuinely curious as to whether the senior members here are living their best life?
I'm 71, soon to be 72. I've been retired for several years. I married my dear friend of 40 years last year. We keep busy and I'm free to do many things that I could not do while I was working.

Some things are harder. Physically, I have some health problems. I highly recommend maintaining exercise as we age. I ride my bike 15 km, 3 times a week. When I got back on the saddle, I had not ridden a bike for 30 years. It was hard at first.

I wondered how I would cope with retirement. Now I wonder how I coped with work! 50 is a good age to look to the future. Normally we are fit and well, maybe some age related aches and pains. If we are sensible with diet and exercise, we will be fit enough to enjoy our later years more. Swimming is great. I only stopped because of a medical issue. Be real careful of the gym. I injured myself by overdoing weights. It took me a long time to recover, a disadvantage of being older.

It is vital to keep your spiritual life fresh. Our later years should be the best because we've learned to trust Jesus in ways that we did not when we were younger. Complacency and pride are deadly enemies of the mature. We can remain young at heart even when our bodies are showing signs of wear and tear.

Tall_Timbers

Mar 31, 2023
Cheyenne WY
christiancommunityforum.com
If you're a Believer, aging is wonderful. Pretty soon I'm gonna either go in the Rapture or go expiring, but the wait won't be overly long compared to when I was a youngster. I can't do near as much as I used to. Everything hurts. But every day is a wonderful gift that I try to make the most of.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Had good and bad in the "T" decades. (Teens, twenties, and thirties).

Had MORE good than bad in the "F" decades. (forties, and fifties).

So as I'm about to exit the F decades, and start the "S" decades (sixties and seventies), I'm hoping that trend continues!

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
life begins at 50 if someone became a born again christian at 50! exercise, learn things & read books; this excites a vibrancy is your physical & mental health. yes, i'm young at heart, very silly, love to joke around, but super serious (some say i'm to serious when it comes to work & trying your best).

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020
Ahhh good question.... 😅 I am close to 50 lol I am 45, at my age no pains yet. I am still flexible and quite strong physically, compared to some of my friends same age as me....most of them have pains here and there lol I can still run,walk go up and down easy and not run out of breath...

I don't want to romanticize old age because even if I am still physically strong I can feel it already...you can easily break your bones by carrying heavy things....and healing takes time unlike when u were younger

Your circle of friends is getting smaller and smaller.... and I notice even at church they will going to have youth camps but no old camps 😅 you see 😂

So,No life doesn't begin at 50 but you can live differently so that you can still enjoy and experience life to the fullest at 50 ☺️

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
regarding bones, can I ask over 50s if they experience much broken or fractured bones.
Lots of oldies seem to lose their balance and fall over and they can get hurt really badly.
Also does drinking milk or eating lots of cheese really prevent osteoporosis? I was always told I HAD to drink milk or my bones will break. For the calcium. Not sure if this is a myth though. I was totally threatened and forced to drink it or I would end up like one of my grandmas, unable to walk because she broke her hips.

Also I think people going deaf happens because they listen to too much loud music all the time its got to do something to their ears.

May 1, 2023
W
I believe the answer to this question depends on the events one person had to go through in life. I've been through many trials, through hell and back. Even though I will always be young inside the bumps in life have shaped my present state of mind and refined my character. Going through storms forces you as you get older to question life on this earth and gain perspective. The "teen" in me still wants to have fun but it less and less looks forward to the future in this world. My interest is more about the future after I'll be gone and enter eternity. When we're young we don't think of the end of life. Now, the older I get the more my focus is on Him. I know my best life will never be on this earth but it is yet to come when I'll finally be face to face with my Savior, the lover of my soul.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
W
I believe the answer to this question depends on the events one person had to go through in life. I've been through many trials, through hell and back. Even though I will always be young inside the bumps in life have shaped my present state of mind and refined my character. Going through storms forces you as you get older to question life on this earth and gain perspective. The "teen" in me still wants to have fun but it less and less looks forward to the future in this world. My interest is more about the future after I'll be gone and enter eternity. When we're young we don't think of the end of life. Now, the older I get the more my focus is on Him. I know my best life will never be on this earth but it is yet to come when I'll finally be face to face with my Savior, the lover of my soul.
Howdy Brigitte and welcome to the forum.

I met an old man today
Wrinkled smile and his hair was gray
From 86 years
And he told some tales
About when his life was wild
He knew time too well
It seemed we talked for hours
Right into the night
Yeah he really knew life
When I asked him if he could go back
Would he change anything
He just smiled and said no thanks

I am grateful
For the life I have lived
And everything that got so hard
All I've ever been through
All the struggles and the fights
They made me the man I am tonight
And I am grateful

- Anonymous

(No really, the name of the group is Anonymous.)

Katkw

Apr 23, 2023
You gain more wisdom if you've paid attention as you grow older.
However in truth life begins to end the older you get.

Your former lifestyle catches up to you. You can't digest as readily those fave yet not good for you foods the way you once did.

Your 6 pack becomes a barrel that you joke is protection for the underlying 6 pack. When in truth you know your abs can only now count to two, because of the rolls.
You look down and wonder where your lower parts disappeared to.

Then one day you step naked in front of a full length mirror and realize you now have the answer to the question you wish you'd never thought to ask.

You remember when you were cute, young, with skin like elastin. Taut muscles, energetic, in shape.
Now decades later you're funny looking, saggy, and realize round is indeed a shape.

No , life doesn't begin after 50. Cold hard facing of reality that you're far removed from 20 does.

Or so I've heard. 🤫
So true. I can relate to this for sure

Jun 2, 2023
I`m an old dog,but in all honesty I am the same as I was in high school. Same interests

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Howdy Brigitte and welcome to the forum.

I met an old man today
Wrinkled smile and his hair was gray
From 86 years
And he told some tales
About when his life was wild
He knew time too well
It seemed we talked for hours
Right into the night
Yeah he really knew life
When I asked him if he could go back
Would he change anything
He just smiled and said no thanks

I am grateful
For the life I have lived
And everything that got so hard
All I've ever been through
All the struggles and the fights
They made me the man I am tonight
And I am grateful

- Anonymous

(No really, the name of the group is Anonymous.)
I love the poem—a lot. Yeah, for those of us who the Lord has granted many years on this old earth and who have experienced many accompanying trials, sometimes making bad choices along the way, I consider that the best thing in the whole wide world is our Father’s forgiveness when we repent and say “I’m so sorry, Lord, please forgive me.” And through it all, I’m still young at ❤️ and look forward to the eternity when truly, the very best is yet to be. —selah

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
regarding bones, can I ask over 50s if they experience much broken or fractured bones.
Lots of oldies seem to lose their balance and fall over and they can get hurt really badly.
Also does drinking milk or eating lots of cheese really prevent osteoporosis? I was always told I HAD to drink milk or my bones will break. For the calcium. Not sure if this is a myth though. I was totally threatened and forced to drink it or I would end up like one of my grandmas, unable to walk because she broke her hips.

Also I think people going deaf happens because they listen to too much loud music all the time its got to do something to their ears.
In the last two years I have fallen down 8 times and not been hurt once. I thank God for that for sure but at this point I'm sure that I don't have the brittle bone problem so I have not broken any bones a bruise or two maybe one scratch. Again I'm short don't have far to fall and fat padded landing... plus angels God provides so for me so far so good. 68 so have been falling a little too regular since 66.

BeeBlessed

Jun 1, 2023

Hi, @Lanolin :)… Well, I’m quite a few years over 50 and have a lot of experience with some pretty awful falls. The last one happened about three months ago while I was racewalking. I tripped on uneven pavement, and even though I caught myself with my hands, I was going too fast to prevent my face from hitting the pavement—hard! Believe it or not, I got up and walked home—definitely bruised and bleeding—but with no broken bones. I really don’t think the secret to bone health is found in milk cartons; I think it’s in weight-bearing exercise, maintaining muscle strength, and just staying as physically active as possible.

I agree that playing music too loud can affect hearing—and so can not wearing ear protection in noisy environments.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Hi, @Lanolin :)… Well, I’m quite a few years over 50 and have a lot of experience with some pretty awful falls. The last one happened about three months ago while I was racewalking. I tripped on uneven pavement, and even though I caught myself with my hands, I was going too fast to prevent my face from hitting the pavement—hard! Believe it or not, I got up and walked home—definitely bruised and bleeding—but with no broken bones. I really don’t think the secret to bone health is found in milk cartons; I think it’s in weight-bearing exercise, maintaining muscle strength, and just staying as physically active as possible.

I agree that playing music too loud can affect hearing—and so can not wearing ear protection in noisy environments.
And I’ve enjoyed all the racewalking days with you as my partner. I wonder how many miles we’ve traveled these past 22 years! And now, even with all the aches and whatnot, we’re actually walking faster! Bring it on, seniors all! ;) All we can do is our best…Lord, help us! —selah

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
In the last two years I have fallen down 8 times and not been hurt once. I thank God for that for sure but at this point I'm sure that I don't have the brittle bone problem so I have not broken any bones a bruise or two maybe one scratch. Again I'm short don't have far to fall and fat padded landing... plus angels God provides so for me so far so good. 68 so have been falling a little too regular since 66.
And I'm falling down
You know I'm falling down
And I don't understand
Why I keep losing ground
But every time I do
If I look up to You
Then I stop falling down
Yes I stop falling down
Because of You

- David Meece

Tall_Timbers

Mar 31, 2023
Cheyenne WY
christiancommunityforum.com

I haven't broken any bones in a couple of decades. I love milk so I drink some every day. Impact exercises where a little stress is put on the bones will lead to them become more dense (stronger). I would imagine that if you're genetically prone to osteoporosis it's gonna happen no matter what you do. My hearing is still fine. When I was young I listened to a little loud music, but for most of my life I tried to protect my hearing to the extent that that is possible.

Just remembered that a couple of years ago I broke my face when I fell while running a trail. I don't know exactly what happen because I apparently have permanent amnesia with regards to that short while. Fortunately the bones were lined up so they didn't have to drill any hardware into my skull. I think that break would have occurred at any age. One of my feet probably caught a tree root sticking up out of the trail. I'd fallen from tripping over tree roots a lot, but never got knocked out like the face break time.

proutled

May 9, 2023
texas
I feel like I 'm 30. in my heart, I'm turning 57 tomorrow,