Quit Playing GOD

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Matthew8187

Junior Member
May 25, 2017
0
0
0
Recently, I heard this term coined in an recent article I read "Playing GOD".
igrati_boga.jpg


I like the term--it make sense from my perspective as it can be so true of us as our influence over others grows that we can at times start to “Play God” in their life versus seeking and being dependent on God.

A few weeks ago as a group of us were talking about the various views that People (in general and Christians as well) have of God, Who God is.

1. Is GOD some Far removed Creator sitting just watching things play out down here?


2.Is GOD some Over-Bearing Rule-Creator who is sitting in Heaven with a Hammer ready to pounce when we mess up?

OR
3. Is GOD a Creator, who is interested in our Everyday lives, wants and pursues a LOVE relationship with his Creation, even when they are uninterested in him?

(I'll take Deity # 3)


Now, I know I’m make a bit light of this in the great scheme of Who GOD is , but honestly everyone can have a warped view of Who God is….and I can say that, because I USE TO View GOD as # 2, the overbearing, ready with a hammer to pounce me when I mess up God.

I lived a life of fear of failure, versus living a Life of Faith. Do I have it all together? HECK no! BUT I do attempt to live my life in Faith, with a Reverent and Awe-inspiring FEAR of God.

I know just in my daily relationships it is hard to Love someone who you have Fear or Mistrust with…if it is true for us in our relationships...then it has to be True in our relationship with God as well...…how Can we Absolutely Love God, if we are so concerned with his punishing us for messing up?

So, back to “Playing God”, if we are trying to BE God for someone, then I believe we’ve already set up ourselves for Failure—why?

Because Hold On to something!–We ARE NOT GOD! Oh my goodness, LIFE is not all about me! Slow and Deep breaths for those of you who are in shock. So, even in using our influence, our ‘power’, our ‘relationships’, we can 'Play God' versus being GOD dependent.

SO how do we get away from this cycle? I truly believe that it’s here where we will find FREEDOM, there is a Martin Luther quote that is often taken much out of context, but He is quoted as saying, “Sin Boldly”


So, you don’t think I’m crazy, let’s look at the whole context, here is the entirety of the quote and referenced resource:
“If you are a preacher of mercy, do not preach an imaginary but the true mercy. If the mercy is true, you must therefore bear the true, not an imaginary sin. God does not save those who are only imaginary sinners. Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong (sin boldly), but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world. We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides. We, however, states Peter (2. Peter 3:13) are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth where justice will reign.” Letter 99, Paragraph 13. Erika Bullmann Flores, Tr. from: Dr. Martin Luther’s Saemmtliche Schriften Dr. Johann Georg Walch Ed. (St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, N.D.), Vol. 15, cols. 2585-2590.
​

I don’t believe he is encouraging Sin as some misunderstand this quote to be, but instead encouraging us to be “REAL!” I want a Relationship with God that says it’s ok to ask Questions, to get Mad when things don’t work out and I’m hurt and confused and believe that GOD is BIG enough to handle all that. I believe in a Relationship with GOD that can say, “I’m tired of this CRAP in my life”—probably made some of you uncomfortable just now, but that’s ok…I believe it is ok to say that...you may not, that’s your choice, and hey, I think that’s OK too So, My parting thought, (in the context it was/is written now) : SIN BOLDLY! Quit Playing God! Be REAL in your life, in your Relationships, in WHO GOD has Made YOU to be....because GOD is not up there with a huge hammer ready to pounce when we mess up.

Blessings,
Matthew
 
Actually "playing God" was not coined by wherever you read it. The term has been around a long time. I remember hearing it as a teen and I have no doubt it went well before that.