Real Christians.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

edward99

Yes, I am aware that my belief is basically a belief in purgatory. I try not to use that word, because a lot of evangelical Christians don't really know what the word means. They know it as "a Catholic theory," and if they've been taught anything about it, it would be that it's false. But, as the article you quoted states, it has significant support in Scripture, both Old and New Testament, and in tradition outside of the Catholic Church.

The connotation of "purgatory" implies that it is a place. Like, an antechamber to heaven. I'm not convinced this image is accurate -- in my understanding, which comes from Scripture and prayer rather than from reading more recent articles or treatises on the topic -- this is less a "place" and more a "process." Though there are certainly useful images that go with the "location" idea. I think the fact that we're talking about the afterlife, something that, even if God were to reveal everything there is to know, you would have no words to describe it, is why it's hard to come to an accurate understanding and to verbalize it.

Here's what we know:
The elect are going to heaven.
There will be no evil in heaven.

Taking those two things, I see no alternative to some sort of "purgatory." How else can you explain how we, imperfect, sinful creatures will be in heaven, a sinless place? Either one of the two above statements is false (you can tell me which one you think is false if you like), or there is some sort of "purgatory," though the details of that I agree are unknown.
Rome came up with the idea because they didn't accept Imputed Righteousness.

God justifies the ungodly sinners (us) by Grace through faith, Imputing the Righteousness of His Son to us instantly upon the not guilty verdict (when we "believe"), and He does not impute our sins to us, since Jesus already paid for them (and for anyone who receives it by faith). So for Him, all that remains for our redemption is the Coming of Jesus with "the change".

Rome believed we are Infused with righteousness by various mean/works, but they knew nobody was quite righteous enough when they died. So really, it kinda made sense in a weird way to scheme up a place where the evil was burned away and you got more righteous until eventually you were pure enough for heaven. Crazy and unbblical, but that's purgatory.

Post 70AD Judaism came up with a similar idea, even going as far as reincarnation, after the Pharisees rejected Jesus and continued on with their Oral Traditions. They had actually known that there were "two worlds" - The Messianic Age and the Age or world to come - eternity. But since they rejected Jesus, they didn't understand that "this world, or age" started with the First Advent, and the world to come was eternity.

They're behind an Age, or Era (Messianic). Still waiting.

Personally, I think the saved souls go to the heaven at death, and the damned go to hell - we all wait for the resurrection of our bodies (we get new ones), but I don't know how He works all that. I don't believe in soul sleep. And Revelation has John seeing souls of saints in heaven before the Second Advent. That lines up with Paul saying Jesus will bring those who are asleep in Him WITH HIM when He comes (1 Thess).

That's my take on it.

E

edward99

Edward:

Thank you for posting your ideas and TONS of Scripture. I really do appreciate hearing what other believers think. It's all very fascinating.

Ultimately, like I said, I'm not too worried about it. I will find out when the time comes, and there's nothing I can do between now and then to change anything.
OK. sorry. I posted again without seeing this.
K. done.
Bye