Recipe ideas

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tenderhearted

I try to cook dinners in advance to make the week easier for me. I like making dinners that I can also freeze. I am running out of recipes and ideas for dinners that freeze well. I freeze chicken and beef stews, beef chili and chicken pot pie--they taste so delicious when reheated.

Can anyone recommend other delicious meals that freeze well? Please add the recipe. Thanks :)

P

psychomom

i sometimes freeze the er, guts? to shepherd's pie, and then i only have to make the mashed potatoes to top it with. interested? :)

hmm...can you successfully freeze mashed potatoes? i honestly don't know, but now i'm wondering!

T

tenderhearted

yes, I'm interested in your shepherd's pie recipe. :DFresh mashed potatoes doesn't take long to make-- I can make that the day of. Thanks

i sometimes freeze the er, guts? to shepherd's pie, and then i only have to make the mashed potatoes to top it with. interested? :)

hmm...can you successfully freeze mashed potatoes? i honestly don't know, but now i'm wondering!

P

psychomom

if you don't have a food processor, you could grate or just chop the veg.
rough chop or fine, depending on what your family prefers?
but this is how i do it. (feel free to scale it back, too, if you aren't feeding the 49ers)

4 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 good sized onion
2 garlic cloves

shred the above in the food processor.
2 T olive oil in a large pan; sauté veggies till onion is translucent--careful not to burn the garlic.
salt and pepper liberally.

add 2-3 pounds 90% ground beef (or better, if you can); brown it.

add 3-4 C beef broth, 3 T tomato paste, 4-5 T flour; simmer till it thickens.
at this point, i sometimes add frozen corn and or peas...you could throw in green beans, too...
whatever veggies your family likes (including none, of course :) ).

it's ready for the freezer at this point.
when i make the potatoes, i like to add sour cream, but some of the kids don't like it.
i always add a bunch of shredded cheddar (~1 cup per 2 lbs potatoes, but play with it?)

used to make it when the kids were small as a way to hide some vegetables. (sneaky moms :) )

blessings, tenderhearted! ♥

C

cmarieh

I try to cook dinners in advance to make the week easier for me. I like making dinners that I can also freeze. I am running out of recipes and ideas for dinners that freeze well. I freeze chicken and beef stews, beef chili and chicken pot pie--they taste so delicious when reheated.

Can anyone recommend other delicious meals that freeze well? Please add the recipe. Thanks :)
I have never done this but I have heard that lasagna and a lot of casseroles can be frozen and tastes great. Hope this helps.

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I freeze my Chili Con Carne;

4 lbs. = Ground beef * Take the meat and pick off pieces or slice with a knife and drop pieces of the ground beef in BOILING water or an hour.

~~~~~~~~ while the hamburger is boiling ~~~~~~~~~~
in a crock pot put in;

2 - 10 oz = Tomato puree [ I use hunts]
2 1/2 tablespoons = garlic salt
3 Tablespoons = chili Powder [ I use Mexene chili powder ]
2 medium = onions [ cut up fine or grated ]
2 or 3 cups = Cornflakes ( crushed before measuring, DEFINITELY use Kellogg brand, other makes the taste not as good.
1 Tablespoon = Hot sauce [ I use Durkee hot sauce. ]
2 cups = water, [I use the broth from the boiled ground beef after its through.

~~~~~~~
After the meat is boiled for 1 hour, drain off the water[remember to save the 2 cups to add to ingredients in the crock pot. ]..
Put meat into the crock pot with other ingredients, put on high cook for 2 hours.

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I FREEZE MY HOMEMADE VEGETABLE SOUP;

- Stew meat in crock pot all night [ I use 2 packages cause the flavor is better but you can use one.... 3 medium onions cut up, and potatoes <== 'whole'....If you like Cabbage put this in for the night cooking in the crock pot. cabbage takes a long time to cook.

the next day its faster cause the other ingredients cook up fast mostly 30 min.
pour in large cooking pot => all items in the crock pot...then add;

- can = carrots
- can = corn
- large can = V- 8 juice and tomato juice
- can = peas
- elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper to taste

~~ cook until corn gets tender and it will be ready about 15 min.

~~~~~~~~~
you may try freezing potato soup mine is simple;

boil potatoes [cut up in small cubes ] after about 10 min..test with a large spoon with hole, to see if the potatoes are tender . and then proceed to mash potatoes with a fork while they are on the large spoon with holes. ……. don't mash like mash potatoes, leave some lumps, ….when all is found and mashed, put butter in ( or margaring, I use a lot, like 4 tablespoons.) salt , pepper and its done.