Red wine

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Lecrae

My grand parents (one being a retired Paster) told my family that Red Wine is strictly prohibited by the Bible. In the course of my research, I haven't found anything in the Bible that says Red Wine is prohibited. If it is, why is it only 'red wine' that's prohibited and not other alcoholic beverages?

Do you guys have any Bible verses that clearly state that Red Wine is strictly prohibited by the Bible?

Oh, and just an fyi my family doesn't drink red wine. It just randomly came up in a discussion with my grand parents.

S

SantoSubito

My grand parents (one being a retired Paster) told my family that Red Wine is strictly prohibited by the Bible. In the course of my research, I haven't found anything in the Bible that says Red Wine is prohibited. If it is, why is it only 'red wine' that's prohibited and not other alcoholic beverages?

Do you guys have any Bible verses that clearly state that Red Wine is strictly prohibited by the Bible?

Oh, and just an fyi my family doesn't drink red wine. It just randomly came up in a discussion with my grand parents.
To put it simply the Bible doesn't condemn alcohol in any way shape or form, Jesus even turned water into wine. By chance is your grandfather a retired Baptist or Pentecostal pastor? If he is it would explain his opposition to alcohol.

L

Lecrae

To put it simply the Bible doesn't condemn alcohol in any way shape or form, Jesus even turned water into wine. By chance is your grandfather a retired Baptist or Pentecostal pastor? If he is it would explain his opposition to alcohol.
Yes, he's baptist. But so am I and I don't condemn alcohol.

J

jimmydiggs

History lesson for you about many Baptists.

Starts with the WCTU.

G

Graybeard

Well yes Jesus did turn water into wine, but does that mean we are at liberty to get drunk?...
I think your grandparents may be that way because of these scripture:

Pro 23:29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
Pro 23:30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Pro 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his color in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pro 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

Feb 9, 2010
29Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
30They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
31Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
32At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
33Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
34Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. 35They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again(Proverbs 23:29-35).

This is probably the scripture that your grandparents used(verse 31) to tell you that it is not biblical to drink red wine,but it is a misunderstanding on their part,for it does not mean not to drink red wine,as that type of wine,but not to drink the wine when it ferments in to alcohol,as resembling turning red,which it is talking about not drinking the grape juice when it ferments.

1Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise(Proverbs 20:1).

Any color wine,and whatever the fruit that ferments,God said is a mocker,and people shall do stupid things when drunk,especially in the babbling department,and no man can tame the tongue,especially when they drink alcohol.

G

Graybeard

.....or

Pro 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:
Pro 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

L

Lecrae

Okay, thanks for all the input so far!

S

SantoSubito

Yes, he's baptist. But so am I and I don't condemn alcohol.
Modern Baptists don't condemn the use of alcohol as much anymore, but back in the 1920's-probably the early 1980's they did condemn it quite fervently, and I'm assuming your grandpa would have been a pastor during this period

M

MaggieMye

There are no verses in the Bible that forbid wine...red or white....or blush! What it forbids is DRUNKENESS: Eph 5:18

I

Israel

29Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
30They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
31Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
32At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.
33Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things.
34Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. 35They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again(Proverbs 23:29-35).

This is probably the scripture that your grandparents used(verse 31) to tell you that it is not biblical to drink red wine,but it is a misunderstanding on their part,for it does not mean not to drink red wine,as that type of wine,but not to drink the wine when it ferments in to alcohol,as resembling turning red,which it is talking about not drinking the grape juice when it ferments.

1Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise(Proverbs 20:1).

Any color wine,and whatever the fruit that ferments,God said is a mocker,and people shall do stupid things when drunk,especially in the babbling department,and no man can tame the tongue,especially when they drink alcohol.
.....or

Pro 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:
Pro 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.
This really has nothing to do with the physical sense of drinking ANY wine or alcohol.

Luke 7:28-35

28For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.
29And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
30But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.
31And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?
32They are like unto children sitting in the marketplace, and calling one to another, and saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned to you, and ye have not wept.
33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
34The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners! 35But wisdom is justified of all her children.

Jesus was called a gluttonous man and a winebibber; the very thing that Proverbs speaks of not to be among.

Revelation 17:1-2

1And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: 2With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

This is the wine we must understand that has people drunk. What is it?

Revelation 18:3-4

3For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies. 4And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Those who are in Christ have become a new creature. There is no free or bond, there is no Jew or Gentile, there is no male of female in the Spirit.

Now sin is the transgression of the law, but the Bible says that the law was ADDED because of transgressions. The law that was broken was the Spirit law of God summed up in the ten commandments. The law that was added for a witness is the law of Moses. This is the wine that we are drunk with in Proverbs. It was taken out of the way by the death of Christ but most still seek it out. Those who would devour the flesh of a man by say, eating pork is indeed drunk with this type of wine.

Feb 9, 2010
31Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright(Proverbs 23:31).

This means do not drink the juice when it ferments.It did not say do not drink the wine after you had 3 12 ounce glasses,but do not drink the juice when it ferments.Drink the juice while it is juice but when it ferments do not look upon it,do not drink it.

15For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb(Luke 1:15).

John the Baptist could not drink wine or strong drink,and Jesus said John was the greatest person ever to be born of a woman,but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than him,so should a person that has the Spirit drink.

Priests and the kings in the Old Testament could not drink wine or strong drink,and Jesus made us kings and priests unto God the Father,and our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit.

C

Crazy4GODword

Well actually wine is part of a ceremony called communion which has bread and wine as the substance. I guessing that because people today don't drink wine ini church because of the alcohol reasons and purposes with I guess children and alcoholics, etc. Wine is represented as the blood of Christ and the new covenant of the new testament.

Jan 15, 2011
I just love how people always bring out old testament verses to condemn the use of alcohol. Even though plenty of new testament verses while not encouraging it certainly leave room to see where responsible drinking is ok.

A

AgeofKnowledge

Some argue that the terms "red" and "moveth itself" KJV or "swirls around" NKJV found in Proverbs 23:31 refer to wine when it is in the process of fermentation for if during this time a person "looks on it," in a manner so as to drink it, they may become sick and possibly even die and some winery workers have becoming asphyxiated just by leaning over the wine vats to "look on" the fermenting wine being overcome by the poisonous gases of fermentation and falling into the vats and drowning.

Just another perspective to consider.

A

AgeofKnowledge

True Banister; however, I've met many bottom alcoholics that started their drinking "career" to ruin as a social drinker. Today, they cannot ever drink again socially like a normal person having passed some unseen point of no return. If they have a single drink, all their sobriety is gone and they will go on a binge that they may never return from. It sounds strange I know but their condition is different.

Anyways, I'm not arguing with you... just elaborating a bit :).

I just love how people always bring out old testament verses to condemn the use of alcohol. Even though plenty of new testament verses while not encouraging it certainly leave room to see where responsible drinking is ok.