Religion Problem

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Arkeilia

May 26, 2019
I've been going through different religions. These just happened because of some unfortunate situations and this feeling inside me is urging me to explore them and learn new things. Honestly, my family didn't like my actions because they're devoted to our religion, but i just cant help but do it. For me, i do believe that there is no perfect religion. Each religions have different beliefs which is against to other religions and we aren't perfect either. Honestly no religion can save us, but our faith and love to God. But my family keeps telling stuffs about other religions and so is brainwashing my mind and i really hate it. I'm just 16 years old so they keep telling me that i don't understand anything but honestly, they just don't get me and all i can do is cry and pray for them to get my point. They want me to choose so i ended up not going to church with them. I know its not the right thing to do but i just don't know what else i can do. I'm so lost that i don't already know what i'm doing. Can you tell me what i should do? And if i'm right or wrong? I never sided any religion and i look at them fairly because after all they are worshiping only one God and i know in my heart that i am a Christian. You guys might not understand me but i go to our church secretly and pray secretly. They keep judging me because they never saw me pray during meals and other events but i did silently its just that i'm shy to show them.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Firstly you need to look into what brainwashing is. Because you don't seem to have a solid grasp on it. A family encouraging their religious stance and discouraging other religious beliefs is not brainwashing. It's parenting.

Second, this is you...
"I'm just 16 years old so they keep telling me that i don't understand anything but honestly, they just don't get me"
This is also you...
"I'm so lost that i don't already know what i'm doing."
There's one major issue. You contradict yourself.
You are so insistent your parents don't "get you" then say that you dont have a clue either, so it seems you don't understand yourself very well either. Yet that doesn't stop you from falsely accusing your parents of brainwashing. But, conveniently, you don't seem to have any false accusations against yourself, such as hypocrite.
It sounds to me like your central problem isn't religious belief but a desire to rebel against your parents. Even if there are no facts involved.

There is a lot of contradiction in your post. My suggestion is to stop supposing you have all the answers and that your parents are clueless brainwashers. Recognize you know less than you think and that perhaps the ones that have been alive twice as long as you may have actually learned things and understand things you haven't yet.
Whether you choose to follow your parents beliefs or not is your choice, but based off of your own words it sounds to me like you have zero factual basis for an independent decision at this point. Nor do you seem to currently be at a good starting place to begin that journey.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
They want me to choose so i ended up not going to church with them. I know its not the right thing to do but i just don't know what else i can do. I'm so lost that i don't already know what i'm doing. Can you tell me what i should do? And if i'm right or wrong?
Not really sure what to make of your story.
It comes across jumbled and like a lot of issues are mixed up together.
What is it that you are really trying to say about yourself?

If you really really want to know that Jesus Christ is God and your Lord and Saviour then you can have a personal relationship with
both Jesus and God the Father through the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

theanointedwinner

Nov 6, 2018
I've been going through different religions. These just happened because of some unfortunate situations and this feeling inside me is urging me to explore them and learn new things. Honestly, my family didn't like my actions because they're devoted to our religion, but i just cant help but do it. For me, i do believe that there is no perfect religion. Each religions have different beliefs which is against to other religions and we aren't perfect either. Honestly no religion can save us, but our faith and love to God. But my family keeps telling stuffs about other religions and so is brainwashing my mind and i really hate it. I'm just 16 years old so they keep telling me that i don't understand anything but honestly, they just don't get me and all i can do is cry and pray for them to get my point. They want me to choose so i ended up not going to church with them. I know its not the right thing to do but i just don't know what else i can do. I'm so lost that i don't already know what i'm doing. Can you tell me what i should do? And if i'm right or wrong? I never sided any religion and i look at them fairly because after all they are worshiping only one God and i know in my heart that i am a Christian. You guys might not understand me but i go to our church secretly and pray secretly. They keep judging me because they never saw me pray during meals and other events but i did silently its just that i'm shy to show them.
I find it difficult to understand all this

In short, if you are told to obey Jesus, submit to Jesus, and told "Jesus or hell, make your choice" what would be your reaction

If you feel misunderstood, please clarify your feelings to the best of your ability, if you want help

Arkeilia

May 26, 2019
Firstly you need to look into what brainwashing is. Because you don't seem to have a solid grasp on it. A family encouraging their religious stance and discouraging other religious beliefs is not brainwashing. It's parenting.

Second, this is you...
"I'm just 16 years old so they keep telling me that i don't understand anything but honestly, they just don't get me"
This is also you...
"I'm so lost that i don't already know what i'm doing."
There's one major issue. You contradict yourself.
You are so insistent your parents don't "get you" then say that you dont have a clue either, so it seems you don't understand yourself very well either. Yet that doesn't stop you from falsely accusing your parents of brainwashing. But, conveniently, you don't seem to have any false accusations against yourself, such as hypocrite.
It sounds to me like your central problem isn't religious belief but a desire to rebel against your parents. Even if there are no facts involved.

There is a lot of contradiction in your post. My suggestion is to stop supposing you have all the answers and that your parents are clueless brainwashers. Recognize you know less than you think and that perhaps the ones that have been alive twice as long as you may have actually learned things and understand things you haven't yet.
Whether you choose to follow your parents beliefs or not is your choice, but based off of your own words it sounds to me like you have zero factual basis for an independent decision at this point. Nor do you seem to currently be at a good starting place to begin that journey.
Thank you for replying :) The thing is that, i just don't get why they have to be like that to other religions, like compare each religions and telling me that the people in that religion are not well mannered and stuffs, then the people there believed stuffs that our religion are very against. They also compare whose religion is the real one and even attends debates relating to it.

After my mother died, my father married a woman from a different religion and my grandmother and the other member of our family circle was against it because she doesn't believe many things that we believe. One time my step mother asked me if i want to come with her in her church, i was hesitant that time but still ended up coming with her and it turns out that it wasn't really bad. I've learned a lot of new things and new songs. It was my first time right there to lead a prayer for the lunch and my first time to sing a christian song in front of people and right there i was able to open up my self. One time, they open up a branch sabbath school and offered me a part. We roamed around different places and taught the children about the bible and some of them is with their mothers. We also gave them some relief goods because the places that we mostly go is the poorest area of the city. They open up to us and shared their story to us about their religion and what they believe and after that very moment, i started to have interest to exploring other religions.

The thing is, knowing other people's beliefs just excites me. Knowing their own point of views made me understand their difference. So that's why i just don't get why everything has to go on debates. Especially my family. I just dont get why they have to judge other people for what they believe and go through debates.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
The thing is, knowing other people's beliefs just excites me. Knowing their own point of views made me understand their difference. So that's why i just don't get why everything has to go on debates. Especially my family. I just dont get why they have to judge other people for what they believe and go through debates.
If you have found honey, eat only enough for you, lest you have your fill of it and vomit it.
Proverbs 25:16
Now you can understand why Mark 16 is the standard to compare all competing claims against.
Jesus himself gives us a standard to compare every gospel against this truth. No debating clubs.
Just hold up every church and doctrine against the word of God.

15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.
16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues;
18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
19 So then the Lord Jesus, after he had spoken to them, was taken up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.
20 And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the message by accompanying signs.

Jesus tells us these signs given through the baptism of the Holy Spirit will prove who are the true worshippers approved of
by God -
23 But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him.
24 God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Praying in secret hey? It would be good if you where doing that because you believed Jesus rather then because of you being shy..

Matthew 6: KJV

5 "¶ And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. {6} But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

As for being a Christian.. If i where you i would start reading the message of Jesus in the Gosepls and the rest of the New testament.. Concentrate in being a Bible believing Christian,, that way the approval or rejection of other human beings will not shake you.. We are not here to be pleasers of other men.. We are here to choose God and to stand for Jesus no matter if we recieve praise from others for it or we recieve hate from others for it..

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Thank you for replying :) The thing is that, i just don't get why they have to be like that to other religions, like compare each religions and telling me that the people in that religion are not well mannered and stuffs, then the people there believed stuffs that our religion are very against. They also compare whose religion is the real one and even attends debates relating to it.

After my mother died, my father married a woman from a different religion and my grandmother and the other member of our family circle was against it because she doesn't believe many things that we believe. One time my step mother asked me if i want to come with her in her church, i was hesitant that time but still ended up coming with her and it turns out that it wasn't really bad. I've learned a lot of new things and new songs. It was my first time right there to lead a prayer for the lunch and my first time to sing a christian song in front of people and right there i was able to open up my self. One time, they open up a branch sabbath school and offered me a part. We roamed around different places and taught the children about the bible and some of them is with their mothers. We also gave them some relief goods because the places that we mostly go is the poorest area of the city. They open up to us and shared their story to us about their religion and what they believe and after that very moment, i started to have interest to exploring other religions.

How is it your family is "judging" when debating, but those in other religions in the Same debate are not judging? Sounds like you have a double standard.
And do you think people in other religions don't do the same thing? Why are you not criticizing those people as well?
Also it seems you are judging your own family. Why is it acceptable for you to judge, yet criticize them for what you perceive as judging?
Again, you question why your parents are always debating. But debating takes two parties. Why no criticism for those they debate Against?
If you are so against so much debating and judging how come you created a thread to publically trash your family and debate those who are not in agreement? Sounds to me like you are no different than the very family you criticize.
Religious debates (which, again, require more than one view) are quite common all over the world and among different religions. In fact, a healthy debate is not negative by default. If two people of opposing views can come together and debate respectfully that's not a bad thing. In fact I'm willing to bet you do the same thing, often. Or just plain argue with people. Like Everyone does. But, somehow, it's only bad when your family does it. Vut not when you or anyone else does it.

By the way, part of debate is understanding the opposing view.

The ability to defend ones faith is actually wise. If your parents are educating themselves well enough to A) defend what they believe and B ) know other belief systems well enough to poke at them, then that suggests a studied and learned people. A use of logic and reasoning. Rather intelligent.

I go back to what I said in my previous post. You are simply out to rebel because your arguments never get off the ground. And even when your arguments get shot down, rather than defending them you switch views in an attempt to sway peoples minds against your family, because you Have no defense.
The things you so eagerly put your family down for are happening in people of other faiths, races and cultures worldwide, but you say not one negative word against them. This reveals you have a bias. The fact is you are No different, at all, from your family. All the things you accuse them of you are guilty of. Perhaps rather than try to prove how bad your family is you need to do some introspection into yourself first.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I remember being 16, and disliking my parents morals, which were Christian, even though they were not!

I also remember making a lot of bad choices at 16, which had repercussions for a long time. Sixteen is a difficult age, developmentally. You are aware of so much, including hypocrisy and brain washing, but you really do not have a brain that is matured enough to make good decisions about the head knowledge. That doesn't happen till 20 years old, or older. Some people never truly mature. I've been ministering to a 67 year old woman, and you are more mature than she is. I would peg her emotionally at 14.

So, just a few facts for the next time you think you have it all together, because you are 16!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
More important, you have totally missed the Christian message. Christianity is not truly a religion, although people do make it into one.

The only thing that matters in Christianity is Jesus Christ! To be a Christian is to follow Christ. It is not about following rules. Although when God saves us, we are expected to obey Christ! But the Holy Spirit comes into our hearts when God saved us, and gives us the power to follow Jesus. And sometimes makes us struggle! Knowing Christ doesn't make you perfect, but it certainly justifies you (makes you right before God!) and then teaches you how to grow more holy, into the image of Christ! (Sanctification)!

"because those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters." Romans 8:29

"And we all, with unveiled faces reflecting the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another, which is from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2 Cor. 3:18

Jesus took our place on the cross, nailing our sin to the cross. That is not religion, but a true and real act of infinite mercy.

When we know Christ, we want to follow him every day. Reading the Bible is an important step in walking with Christ. It tells many stories, sets the prophecies and gives us moral standards, which work(!!), to obey. Once you begin to know the Bible, you will begin to understand why most other "religions" are not walking with Christ. For instance, Sabbath worship is not found ONCE in the New Testament. It was abandoned for meeting on the first day of the week, which is Sunday.

Instead of worrying which religion is right, or better or good, forget about religions. Seek Jesus and the Word of God. Read the gospel of John every day. Then read Matthew, Mark, Luke, Acts and then the epistles. Write down questions and post them here. We will pray and help you see what Jesus said.

Try reading a chapter a day. When you get started, it will be hard at first, like trying to do most new things. But it will get easier. Memorize any verses that really pop out a you! That the the Holy Spirit quickening the Word of God in your heart

But mostly, seek Jesus! Religion is not what counts, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ that saves us!

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Hi arkeilia,

First a welcome here! I am Filipino too=).

I think you are new to the Christian teachings, so it takes time to grow. As you know Christ more and more, you'll see as angela says, it is Christ that matters. Read God's word each day, feeding yourself His truths so the confusions go away as the Lord answers your questions and remove the doubts one by one. We grow our faith by hearing, so i hope you are able to go to church regularly, as well as listen to Christian teachings and music on radio or other recordings.

Hope to see you around more!