Remembering the Bible.

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dai3234

Senior Member
Sep 6, 2016
524
4
0
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something. I can't remember the words of scripture. Mostly just the message or point I have interpreted. But I haven't been able to remember which book if the Bible I read from that I interpreted. Thanks for reading.
 
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something. I can't remember the words of scripture. Mostly just the message or point I have interpreted. But I haven't been able to remember which book if the Bible I read from that I interpreted. Thanks for reading.
You don't need to remember all of the Bible. You will discover certain passages, though, that will prove to be very important to you, I suspect. You might want to write those down and keep them in your Bible.
 
Repetitive reading.

When you get to be my age, you tend to remember what it says, but the addresses kinda run together. That's why I love my tablet and smart phone.
 
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something.

Don't worry too much about knowing the Bible forward and backwords; on "that day" there will be no written/oral test.
 
Don't worry too much about knowing the Bible forward and backwords; on "that day" there will be no written/oral test.

Because I forget it, I also forget some of the messages. Not all, but alot. I've never liked reading unless it was educational or a manual for particular purposes. That's probably why I forget it so much. My memory has always been a bit wierd. Selective memory I think to some extent. I'd prefer an A7, bullet pointed pocket booklet to be honest. The rest I'd prefer to hear or see from TV/radio etc, then think about, or during. The Bible is so big, I use my phone to look at books randomly, just to get through some of it during quiet work periods.
 
Hi dai,
Reading and hearing it more often help us remember, but one way i did learn to keep in memory is singing verses. Somehow passages are easier to recall than reciting something for me. I happen to have done that w/ some songs from shakespeare's plays too after i discovered they can be sang and not just recited-). Steve green has an album with verses sang incl. Do not lay down for yourself, I will lie down and sleep, Whatever is true, whatever is noble... I didnt think they were just for kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwEXKPaG9Vg&list=PLVrdWMc4dkkuL1NWLpgcYbp7JYInM37Jf
 
Hi dai,
Reading and hearing it more often help us remember, but one way i did learn to keep in memory is singing verses. Somehow passages are easier to recall than reciting something for me.

this, amen

for example here is an easy, beautiful way to remember a few key verses

i have been crucified
with Christ
and i no longer live,
but Christ lives in me.
the life i live
i live by faith
in the Son of God,
who loved me
and gave himself!
​
(Galatians 2:20)​
therefore, if anyone is in Christ,
he is a new creation
and the old things have passed away
and everything is new!

​
(2 Corinthians 5:17)

​
[video=youtube;8SPK_WHr2oA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPK_WHr2oA[/video]




and even such things as this - Jeremiah 15:19-21

“If you return,
Then I will bring you back;
You shall stand before Me;
If you take out the precious from the vile,
You shall be as My mouth.
Let them return to you,
But you must not return to them.
And I will make you to this people
a fortified bronze wall;
And they will fight against you,
But they shall not prevail against you;
For I am with you to save you
And deliver you,”
says the Lord.
“I will deliver you
from the hand of the wicked,
And I will redeem you
from the grip of the terrible.”

​


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvA4NunaVu8

((if you go and listen to that, yes, ikr))






Repetitive reading.

because, this.
being able to sing scripture you'll repeat it alot - and you'll meditate on it

repeated reading is the number one way you are likely to keep scripture in your heart and head.
you might try instead of reading kind of randomly on your phone, have some sort of plan for one or two books and read them regularly. try whatever day of the month it is, read that chapter of proverbs on your phone. february 4th, read chapter 4. do it again next month and the next month and the next month. even if you miss a few days, read the chapter corresponding to the day on whatever day you remember.
and/or read 5 psalms a day, if you keep this up every day you can read all of the psalms once every month, too.
just reading a chapter of wisdom or a spiritual song or two like that, key in on some verses or phrases and try to hink about them while you go about your day. pray about them, asking for understanding. keep them in your mind after you've read.

read the whole book of romans all the way through in one sitting, if you have about an hour. try to do this a couple times in a month, or every week, with about 1 hour.
do this with ephesians and galatians, both take about 20 minutes to read.
philippians, colossians, 1 John all less than 15 minutes.
matthew or john take 2 to 2 [SUP]1[/SUP]/[SUB]2[/SUB] hours






Billy is absolutely right, repetition with our spiritual sword will work the same way as practice with a physical weapon, a tool or at a sport; you'll build muscle memory and by spending a lot of time reading a few books several times will be as spending a lot of time doing certain actions, and they will begin to come naturally, and you will develop skillfulness.

with a sword, you would learn some techniques this way, and as you gain mastery, add more techniques to them, until finally one day you have learned an whole art. with practice you learn to move fluidly and correctly, and the sword becomes an extension of yourself; you don't have to think about what to do first because it becomes ingrained and comes naturally.
same with the spiritual sword, the word of God.

:)​


longsword_pommelToFace.gif​
 
What was helpful for me was using highlighters. I'd read the verses, then decide what stood out for me. I used different colours to represent different thought trains. I did this fully in 2 different translations, which also helped.

That being said, the most important thing I did was pray, pray, and pray! Being alone with my Bibles, limiting worldly distractions and simply talking with God about what I was learning has been the best approach for me.

Once I got serious about choosing Him over everything else is when I saw progress. But we are all different, and each person has a way that works for them.
 
Well....we had to learn 8 scriptures a week verbatim from the bible in one class I was in....we would write them 10 times and could remember them fairly easy....same with the books of the bible!
 
Because I forget it, I also forget some of the messages. Not all, but alot. I've never liked reading unless it was educational or a manual for particular purposes. That's probably why I forget it so much. My memory has always been a bit wierd. Selective memory I think to some extent. I'd prefer an A7, bullet pointed pocket booklet to be honest. The rest I'd prefer to hear or see from TV/radio etc, then think about, or during. The Bible is so big, I use my phone to look at books randomly, just to get through some of it during quiet work periods.

I, too, have trouble memorizing Bible passages, but I don't think this a big deal. First century Christians didn't have the New Testament and God used them greatly. Our culture values knowledge over everything else, but God doesn't look into our brains - He looks into our hearts.

Dai3234, just google "Genesis Proclaim His Word" and you'll find a 29 minute YouTube video (audio only) with an overview of the book of Genesis. If you like it, do the same with the names of other Bible books (the whole Bible is available). May be those videos (audios, actually) will help you.
 
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something. I can't remember the words of scripture. Mostly just the message or point I have interpreted. But I haven't been able to remember which book if the Bible I read from that I interpreted. Thanks for reading.

I prayed to God when i was reading it to help me understand what i needed to understand. I asked for wisdom. I was not and never have been a person with a great memmory,, But when it comes to the Bible i always seem to remember a verse when a question of doctrine comes up and i can usually find it quickly with my Bible software..

King James Pure Bible Search
 
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something. I can't remember the words of scripture. Mostly just the message or point I have interpreted. But I haven't been able to remember which book if the Bible I read from that I interpreted. Thanks for reading.

You are remembering exactly what Jesus taught SHOULD be remembered. The other is mostly just men trying to impress other men. If you understand what Jesus said, why would you be concerned about which book, chapter or verse it was cataloged in by men?
 
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something. I can't remember the words of scripture. Mostly just the message or point I have interpreted. But I haven't been able to remember which book if the Bible I read from that I interpreted. Thanks for reading.
Recipe cards.

Scripture reference on one side and Scripture verse(s) on the other. :)
 
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something. I can't remember the words of scripture. Mostly just the message or point I have interpreted. But I haven't been able to remember which book if the Bible I read from that I interpreted. Thanks for reading.


Hi Dai,

- I've written out the scriptures in a notebook.
- Sometimes I listen to the audio bible.
- But what has helped me the most to remember scripture is to study it.
- Study, study, study - yeah I know, that's a dirty word for some.

Just say the word, 'study' to some causes them to quote their favorite verse of the bible. :)
 
Well....we had to learn 8 scriptures a week verbatim from the bible in one class I was in....we would write them 10 times and could remember them fairly easy....same with the books of the bible!

i don't remember who it was, but at least one member here had a habit of copying entire books of the Bible.

when it comes to learning, i think the more of your senses you get involved, the better you retain the information. repeated reading, writing, speaking, singing, listening gets your eyes, hands ears and lungs involved. highlighting verses gets your hands involved too, and adds to the stimulation of your mind through your eyes -- and keeping portions of the scripture in your thoughts throughout the day keeps your mind involved, so they become '
hidden in your heart'
keeping a journal of thoughts about what you read, underlining, scribbling notes in the margins, all these things help too.

repetition, repetition, repetition


 
i don't remember who it was, but at least one member here had a habit of copying entire books of the Bible.

when it comes to learning, i think the more of your senses you get involved, the better you retain the information. repeated reading, writing, speaking, singing, listening gets your eyes, hands ears and lungs involved. highlighting verses gets your hands involved too, and adds to the stimulation of your mind through your eyes -- and keeping portions of the scripture in your thoughts throughout the day keeps your mind involved, so they become '
hidden in your heart'
keeping a journal of thoughts about what you read, underlining, scribbling notes in the margins, all these things help too.

repetition, repetition, repetition



Hopefully I will be going to a study group Tuesdays from now on. Hopefully it is helpful.
 
Hi, I thought I would ask what ways people remember the Bible. I ask because I'm quite forgetful, even after I've just read something. I can't remember the words of scripture. Mostly just the message or point I have interpreted. But I haven't been able to remember which book if the Bible I read from that I interpreted. Thanks for reading.

(John 14:26)

“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.