Remove Password Requirement

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

Karraster

at login. Please, can anyone help me disable password requirement for Windows 10 at startup? I've tried, and the only thing I succeeded at was creating another profile, for which I've no idea the password attached to that account. (yes I know, pitiful )Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
How to Start Windows 10 Without Password (Autologon)

• Press Windows+R together at a time.
  • Run box spread out. Copy below command and paste in empty space in the box and click Enter.
netplwiz.exe

• User Account Settings box opens. You find the box before. Users must enter a username and password to use this computer is checked. Uncheck this box and hit Apply.

• Automatically sign in password box prompts. Write your Password twice and press OK.

U

Ugly

According to a quick Google search...

• Type netplwiz in the Start menu search bar, then click the top result to run the command

• Untick the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' and hit 'Apply'

• Enter your username and password, then re-enter your password. Click 'OK'

• Click 'OK' again to save the changes

K

Karraster

Thank you both for responding. I have tried that, and the box is not checked, still, password required. To make matters worse, or possibly more humorous depending on how you look at it....the other profile I somehow created in attempts to correct my problem, I have no idea what password is connected to it and it has taken prominent place. IOW, I now have to switch users before I log in. Isn't that cute? Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to not log in every time I step away for a few moments.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
This is why I did NOT upgrade to Windows 10..

K

Karraster

This is why I did NOT upgrade to Windows 10..
I didn't want W10, but needed a new laptop and that's all that was available at Staples. The salesman told me Windows was phasing out everything but W10 and I might as well get used to it. I wonder if that's true, but again that was all that they offered.

I'm not computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination. My daughter is preparing for a video interview, has asked if I would help her prepare by skyping with her, practice. You know, offer my opinion as to how well she presents and give her a chance to work out the bugs etc. Neither one of us has skyped before, but I'm sure she will figure it out quickly while me, not so much. I'm just trying to resolve issues beforehand, things that are slowing down my computer, time wasters, etc. It took forever to get MacAfee off! W10 seems to have a mind of it's own. grrrrrr

U

Ugly

I didn't want W10, but needed a new laptop and that's all that was available at Staples. The salesman told me Windows was phasing out everything but W10 and I might as well get used to it. I wonder if that's true, but again that was all that they offered.

I'm not computer savvy by any stretch of the imagination. My daughter is preparing for a video interview, has asked if I would help her prepare by skyping with her, practice. You know, offer my opinion as to how well she presents and give her a chance to work out the bugs etc. Neither one of us has skyped before, but I'm sure she will figure it out quickly while me, not so much. I'm just trying to resolve issues beforehand, things that are slowing down my computer, time wasters, etc. It took forever to get MacAfee off! W10 seems to have a mind of it's own. grrrrrr
It is true. Windows 10 is the last IS Windows will put out. From now on its only updates to 10.
I hate it. It's invasive and controlling. Ruined Windows.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
What about the ones who never upgraded and would rather stick with Windows 7?

Feb 7, 2015
Win 7 was far better.

Feb 7, 2015
Ok, you whiz kids..... How do you get this "start menu" to show up? There is no box to type in on my screen.

Feb 7, 2015
Ok, you whiz kids..... How do you get this "start menu" to show up? There is no box to type in on my screen.
For those who don't know, just open "Cortana" (the little round circle on the lower left), and type in: netplwiz...... then hit ENTER. That will take you right to the User Account screen box where you do the rest of the three simple steps (your UserName should already be entered for you)

K

Karraster

Thanks everybody for the replies. I did a restore, got rid of some junk that was installed when purchased, then ran
netplwiz again (for the umpteenth time and the "apply" option was available. No idea which thing made that happen. Ran sysdm.cpl to get rid of the unwanted extra profile(I created by accident) lusrmgr.msc, was getting me nowhere.

I had another issue, after all that the screen got really bright, was hurting my eyes. I tried to adjust it but sliding that control back and forth did nothing. Powered off and on several times, everything I could think of. Then this evening turned it on and it's back to normal. All in all I may have learned a little. For the most part tho, I didn't know what I was doing and don't remember what all I did...so, glad there's smart folks here willing to help. :)

K

Karraster

Ya'll are going to think I'm making this up. Went to the kitchen for a while, PC goes into sleep mode on the sofa. Just had to type the password to get in. A while ago I tested it a few times, no password required. Now it's changed it's mind.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Can you change your power settings so it takes longer before it sleeps?

K

Karraster

Can you change your power settings so it takes longer before it sleeps?
I may be able, however, that would not be a good solution for me. I use the PC after work and usually I'm doing who knows what all besides. what can I say I get distracted lol. Thanks tho.

I'm looking at tweaking registry editor using regedit ...according to this link instructions.~
How to Start Windows 10 Without Password Automatically

So far I'm just reading it, a bit daunted to try, as I created so many problems last night by doing stuff I know nothing about. I may let it go for now, it's wearing me out and my concern is locking myself out at this point. Hmmm, perhaps I should research that scenario and take notes just in case.

Feb 7, 2015
Thank you, Guys. It is nice to again be able to turn on my computer, and immediately see my desktop.

Now, if someone can just tell me how to force my screen to open up full-size windows. As it is, they open to about half-size, and I have to enlarge every one I want full-size.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Thank you, Guys. It is nice to again be able to turn on my computer, and immediately see my desktop.

Now, if someone can just tell me how to force my screen to open up full-size windows. As it is, they open to about half-size, and I have to enlarge every one I want full-size.
Close all but one (1) of these smaller windows. "Grab" the corners of the remaining window with your cursor and "stretch" it to the desired size but do NOT maximize it! Now close the resized window.

The resized window MUST be the last window closed in order for its size to be remembered.

K

Karraster

That happened to me a while back after an automated update. Seems like it had something to do with power saver mode or tablet mode or some such.

K

Karraster

Oh, sorry, nevermind.