Repent and be baptized, every one of you

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 6, 2022
the preaching of Jonah fits with be baptised

repented fits with remission of sin.

so it fits.
if "repent and be baptized, everyone of you at the remission of sins" makes sense for you
then perhaps that could be understood for them as well

despite the vast majority of "eis" examples, probably including Acts 2:38, effectively meaning "resulting in"

further, this needs the remission of sins to have happened at the cross (at least 40 days earlier btw)
and their sins already forgiven, which begs the question of how you got to that conclusion

I called the doctor FOR I was sick.

Nice try
in English it makes sense
without understanding that by "FOR" here she means

eis: to or into (indicating the point reached or entered, of place, time, purpose, result)

eg.
I called the doctor to I was sick
I called the doctor into I was sick
I called the doctor in I was sick
I called the doctor unto I was sick
I called the doctor at I was sick
I called the doctor throughout I was sick
etc.

Oct 6, 2022
Actually when Peter preached on the day of Pentecost (everything prior to Acts 2:38) he was in fact saying "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved".
Even if Peter actually said "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" in Acts 2 as opposed to
Acts 2:
21And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord

will be saved.’​

it is interesting that

Acts 2:38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.​

is seemingly being ignored for faith alone, rather than faith alone being ignored for that

This also corresponded to what Christ said about Himself in John 11:25,26. There was no mention of baptism in that passage.
If "believe" is sometimes used interchangeably with "believe and be baptized"

which would explain the otherwise random mention of "baptized" here
Mark 16:16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

why Repent (which includes belief) and be baptized has the same result in these two places
Acts 10:
43All the prophets testify about Him that everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins through His name.”

Acts 2:
38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

And why Paul assumed the disciples in Acts 19 were baptized

Acts 19:
1While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the interiora and came to Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became believers?”

“No,” they answered, “we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3“Into what, then, were you baptized?” Paul asked.

then baptism could be implied in John 11/other places that use "believe"

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
then baptism could be implied in John 11/other places that use "believe"
In a critical issue like salvation, the Bible does not go by implications. Especially when there are clear and plain statements throughout.

Oct 6, 2022
In a critical issue like salvation, the Bible does not go by implications. Especially when there are clear and plain statements throughout.
Then where was "repent" or "believe" here

John 6:53So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of Man, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

or here

Acts 2:

will be saved.’

Oct 6, 2022
yes I know there are threads specifically on this topic
please share and pray for Israel

Oct 6, 2022
Oct 6, 2022
Oct 6, 2022
"Every Curse Was Broken" | FAMOUS YOUTUBER ALLIE BROOKE EXPERIENCES THE TRUE FREEDOM YOU CAN ONLY FIND IN JESUS CHRIST! 🙏🙏

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
"One thing is necessary; Mary has chosen the good part and it will not be taken from her."- Jesus
Why do so many persist in attempting to rob Mary of this, still?

Lord, Can't you see...? she's left me serving alone?! Make her do something! -:rolleyes:

Oct 6, 2022
"One thing is necessary; Mary has chosen the good part and it will not be taken from her."- Jesus
Why do so many persist in attempting to rob Mary of this, still?

Lord, Can't you see...? she's left me serving alone?! Make her do something! -:rolleyes:
Are these necessary?

John 6:53So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of Man, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Acts 2:

will be saved.’

Acts 2:38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

If so (they are) then it follows that to do the "one thing" one must do those things above, and furthermore to

Acts 2:38Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

since it is logically connected to "repent" from the conjunctive here ("and")

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Are these necessary?

Acts 2:

will be saved.’

If so (they are) then it follows that to do the "one thing" one must do those things above, and furthermore to

since it is logically connected to "repent", from the conjunctive here ("and")
I consider repenting and believing to be done within the very same action, how else can one 'return' without believing there is something to return to?
And baptism is a passive action. No one can 'actively' "be baptized."