Repentance and baptism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 25, 2021
Hello everyone I have some questions about repentance of sins. How often do we need to confess our sins? What if you die with unconfessed sins? For example if someone that was born again didn’t repent for one month and died?

Also in regards to being born again. Is surrendering to God asking for forgiveness, accepting Him as your Lord and Saviour enough? Or must one be baptised in water to be saved.

Thank you

L

Live4Him

Hello everyone I have some questions about repentance of sins. How often do we need to confess our sins? What if you die with unconfessed sins? For example if someone that was born again didn’t repent for one month and died?

Also in regards to being born again. Is surrendering to God asking for forgiveness, accepting Him as your Lord and Saviour enough? Or must one be baptised in water to be saved.

Thank you
Hi, Monika.

How often do we need to confess our sins?

As often as God convicts us of them by the Holy Spirit.

The Christian life is really all about abiding in the true vine, Jesus Christ.

For example, we read:

John chapter 15

[1] I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
[2] Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
[3] Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
[4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
[5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
[6] If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
[7] If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
[8] Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

If we abide in Christ, then his life will flow through us, and good fruit will be the outcome.

Even then, as we mature in him, part of that process will be like a husbandman or vinedresser "purging" or pruning off dead twigs that more fruit might be produced. This is basically what we call "sanctification" or a continual process whereby God will seek to help us to mature in Christ. With such being the case, there are going to be many times throughout our Christian walks when we'll need to confess our sins and repent of them as God makes them known to us.

As far as dying with unconfessed sin is concerned, just yield to God's correction as he brings it throughout your lifetime, and you'll never have to worry about such a scenario being a reality in your own life. We're accountable for what we know, so, again, if God places his finger on something in your life, then just deal with it accordingly at that time. As a loving Father, God will chastise or scourge us if need be to set us back on course.

In relation to the same, we read:

Hebrews chapter 12

[4] Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.
[5] And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
[6] For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
[7] If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
[8] But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
[9] Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
[10] For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
[11] Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

If we're without the Lord's chastisement, then we're bastards or illegitimate children. When we're chastised, it's not immediately joyous, however, if we repent, then the outcome is "the peaceable fruit of righteousness". In other words, we have peace with God because we're walking uprightly before him.

Having read many different posts on many different threads here, I'm anticipating that some people will respond to your questions by telling you that you only need to repent once...if at all. That's a load of heretical rubbish. If you're a parent yourself, then you must fully recognize that there are times when you need to chasten your own child for his/her benefit, and it is no different with God and us. Hopefully, this makes sense, and, as we just read in Hebrews chapter 12, God does chasten and scourge his own children in order to bring us to a place of repentance AFTER WE'VE BEEN BORN AGAIN. Again, it is a continual process of sanctification.

In relation to water baptism, we read:

I Peter chapter 3

[18] For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
[19] By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
[20] Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
[21] The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
[22] Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Water baptism is the answer of a good conscience toward God in direct relation to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The word "conscience" means "with knowledge". In other words, if you truly believe that God raised Jesus from the dead, then the answer of a good conscience will be for you to be water baptized which symbolically represents the old you being buried with Christ that God might raise you up in newness of life. In stark contrast, however, the answer of A BAD CONSCIENCE will be a refusal to be water baptized.

Again, sad to say, I fully expect certain members here to tell you that you don't need to be water baptized, but that is another load of heretical rubbish. Stick with the scriptures. They'll never lead you astray.

Apr 25, 2021
Hi, Monika.

For example, we read:

John chapter 15

[2] Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
[4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
[5] I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
[6] If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
[7] If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
[8] Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

If we abide in Christ, then his life will flow through us, and good fruit will be the outcome.

Even then, as we mature in him, part of that process will be like a husbandman or vinedresser "purging" or pruning off dead twigs that more fruit might be produced. This is basically what we call "sanctification" or a continual process whereby God will seek to help us to mature in Christ. With such being the case, there are going to be many times throughout our Christian walks when we'll need to confess our sins and repent of them as God makes them known to us.

As far as dying with unconfessed sin is concerned, just yield to God's correction as he brings it throughout your lifetime, and you'll never have to worry about such a scenario being a reality in your own life. We're accountable for what we know, so, again, if God places his finger on something in your life, then just deal with it accordingly at that time. As a loving Father, God will chastise or scourge us if need be to set us back on course.

Hebrews chapter 12

[5] And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
[6] For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
[7] If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
[8] But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
[9] Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
[10] For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
[11] Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

If we're without the Lord's chastisement, then we're bastards or illegitimate children. When we're chastised, it's not immediately joyous, however, if we repent, then the outcome is "the peaceable fruit of righteousness". In other words, we have peace with God because we're walking uprightly before him.

Having read many different posts on many different threads here, I'm anticipating that some people will respond to your questions by telling you that you only need to repent once...if at all. That's a load of heretical rubbish. If you're a parent yourself, then you must fully recognize that there are times when you need to chasten your own child for his/her benefit, and it is no different with God and us. Hopefully, this makes sense, and, as we just read in Hebrews chapter 12, God does chasten and scourge his own children in order to bring us to a place of repentance AFTER WE'VE BEEN BORN AGAIN. Again, it is a continual process of sanctification.

I Peter chapter 3

[18] For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:
[20] Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
[21] The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
[22] Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Water baptism is the answer of a good conscience toward God in direct relation to the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The word "conscience" means "with knowledge". In other words, if you truly believe that God raised Jesus from the dead, then the answer of a good conscience will be for you to be water baptized which symbolically represents the old you being buried with Christ that God might raise you up in newness of life. In stark contrast, however, the answer of A BAD CONSCIENCE will be a refusal to be water baptized.

Again, sad to say, I fully expect certain members here to tell you that you don't need to be water baptized, but that is another load of heretical rubbish. Stick with the scriptures. They'll never lead you astray.
Thank you for taking the time to respond with so much information.

If I am being honest I am living in constant fear if I am doing enough or what is right. Since I became a Christian I am trying to do everything right and by me being a perfectionist by nature I feel exhausted. You might say this is the more reason why I need God but I am trying hard not to sin that I’m feeling stressed and lacking the peace part in the fruits of the spirit. Before I became a Christian I feel like I wasn’t this fearful because as they say “ignorance is bliss” but I say that will cost you truth. There is so many sins and I feel like if I repented for every one I would constantly be doing it throughout the day and if I don’t I feel guilty and I then I get worried if I die with unrepented sins.

I should get onto having a water baptism then, I know that is the correct process by the scriptures.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020
Hi, Monika.

For example, we read:

John chapter 15

Hebrews chapter 12

I Peter chapter 3

I Agree, Well Put! (y)

phil36

Feb 12, 2009

Thank you

A very good question Monika, and one we should all consider very seriously. When we sin we should confess it and ask for forgiveness (1 John 1:9).

There are two important factors in play here. One is where we deliberately sin and the other is failing to do what is right (Commission and omission). Sins of omission are inaction (James 4:17).

We also commit sins that we don't even know that we are doing, personally I ask for forgiveness of those and ask God to show me these and give me wisdom (Psalm 19:12-13)

With all that said please remember that your position as a child of God will not change. God has made you righteous in His Son (2 Corinthians 5:21). But if we as children sin and do not repent we will feel the Fathers displeasure he will punish us..as any
good Father would do (Hebrews 12:5-7). So we do not need to live in fear as we have a good and loving Father.

So the question about dying with unconfessed sin's does not alter your position in Christ. You will still go to be with the Lord. But we shouldn't use this as an excuse to sin. We need to take Holiness very seriously.

Regarding Baptism. God commands it. Repent and be Baptised. I'm not going to get into the debate about infant baptism or what Baptists believe. At the end of the day if God commands it I'm doing it.

My advice regarding baptism is to ask your own minister/pastor.

Truth7t7

May 19, 2020

If I am being honest I am living in constant fear if I am doing enough or what is right. Since I became a Christian I am trying to do everything right and by me being a perfectionist by nature I feel exhausted. You might say this is the more reason why I need God but I am trying hard not to sin that I’m feeling stressed and lacking the peace part in the fruits of the spirit. Before I became a Christian I feel like I wasn’t this fearful because as they say “ignorance is bliss” but I say that will cost you truth. There is so many sins and I feel like if I repented for every one I would constantly be doing it throughout the day and if I don’t I feel guilty and I then I get worried if I die with unrepented sins.

I should get onto having a water baptism then, I know that is the correct process by the scriptures.
As Live4Him put it, it's a biblical instruction and will give a clear conscious on following it :)

As for sin, cut the devil off at the pass, break old habits and contacts is a good start, we know well where the old man lives, keep the door shut, and open to Godly spiritual development

More church activity, less association with worldly activity, it's that simple

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Thank you
How often do we need to confess our sins? Repentance has two functions. Initial repentance leads to salvation. Continual repentance leads to having a solid relationship with God. For salvation purposes, we repent once for all our sins as sin becomes convicting and turns us to accept Christ. Once you put your faith in Jesus, you are forgiven, and your sins have been cleansed or erased from your debt. These are the sins of the past, present, and future. Your debt has been paid.

As a believer, if you die with unconfessed sins, you still will be saved as in your faith is in Christ Jesus, not your works or ability to obtain righteousness. You are already seen as righteous in the eyes of God by seeing you through the lens of Christ.

This is grace, as we do not deserve that type of sacrifice and love. But it was true love that saved us.

After conversion, if we lack in continual repentance, it hurts our relationship with God, not necessarily our salvation. Why necessarily? We are secured in Christ. But if we let those sins and the poor relationship take us into unbelief or rejection on Jesus Christ, then we are like the branches on the vine that are cut off and destroyed.

For salvation, yes, putting our faith in Jesus is the key to salvation. Water baptism is a ceremonial practice to show the witnesses you are a new believer, you need discipleship, and God as a witness, you are taking a vow to live for God. In most cases, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit came before baptism, but in a few instances, it came once baptized. This was possibly due to when the individual had a genuine conversion experience.

Ephesians 2:8-9
New International Version

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

This is what God does for us. Human belief is our only responsibility. Not just belief but a belief that calls for our submission to God's work within us.

Scripture has three words. Faith (pistis) faith (pisteuo) and believe (pisteuo)

PISTEUO:
Hebrews 11:6 New International Version (NIV)
6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

4100 pisteúō (from 4102 /pístis, "faith," derived from 3982 /peíthō, "persuade, be persuaded") – believe (affirm, have confidence); used of persuading oneself (= human believing) and with the sacred significance of being persuaded by the Lord (= faith-believing). Only the context indicates whether 4100 /pisteúō ("believe") is self-serving (without sacred meaning), or the believing that leads to/proceeds from God's inbirthing of faith.

PISTIS:
Ephesians 2:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

(4102/pistis) is always a gift from God, and never something that can be produced by people. In short, 4102/pistis ("faith") for the believer is "God's divine persuasion" – and therefore distinct from human belief (confidence), yet involving it. The Lord continuously births faith in the yielded believer so they can know what He prefers, i.e. the persuasion of His will (1 Jn 5:4).

E

eternally-gratefull

Thank you
1. You can't possibly remember every sin, so when a person dies, they will always have unconfessed sin in their life. So if confession is required. no one will make it.
2. Repent means to change ones mind. If we agree that lieing is a sin, then for some reason fall to the flesh and lie. We can not "repent" of that sin again. We did not change our mind and think it was ok all of a sudden. We just feel to temptation. We do however confess it. which is to state the sin.
3. Water baptism is a command. Like assembling together, Taking communion. Seeking after the things of the spirit. Giving on the first day of the week. praying without ceasing etc etc. All of these commands are part of our obedience in faith. They have nothing to do with being saved, they are a result of being saved as we take steps of faith.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com

You'll go crazy if you don't change or you will fall away ... get this firmly stuck in your head, Jesus has died for your sin, ALL of it, gone forever.

Your flesh will never be perfect but your flesh is no longer the true you, the true you is the Christ life you have received, sin happens when you revert back to your old life, your old ways of thinking and doing things.

We confess our sins to God as an acknowledgement that you know the right way to go but failed in that instance, it is for fellowship, so that we can walk in agreement with God.

Baptism is good for an appeal for a clear conscience ... when the devil troubles you, reminding you of all your faults and weaknesses and failures, you can remind him that you have been baptised and that signifies that you have died with Christ with all your sine, buried with Him and are now risen with Him in newness of life.

Rejoice ... you have the victory, Jesus won it for you.

L

Live4Him

It's the "trying hard not to sin" part that concerns me.

Let me see if I can give you a natural example that might help you spiritually.

If a man is married to a woman and he loves her, then it really doesn't matter if there are millions or even billions of other women on the face of this earth. In other words, seeing how he is devoted to ONE, his wife, none of the other women will be the least bit appealing to him.

Turning from the natural to the spiritual, if someone, say you, loves God, then it really doesn't matter if there are millions or even billions of "other gods" in existence. In other words, seeing how you are devoted to ONE, Jesus Christ, none of the "other gods" will be the least bit appealing to you.

My point is that instead of having what one might call a "sin consciousness" where you're focused constantly upon sin, you need to have what one might call a "Christ consciousness" where you're focused instead on simply abiding in him.

If in the process of abiding in Christ he puts his finger upon a sin, then simply confess it before him, and ask him for the grace, via the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, to overcome the same.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (I John 1:9)

When you confess any particular sin before God, he cleanses you from ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS.

Turning back to the natural for a minute, if you are a parent, then you know that you cannot possible lay all of life's lessons upon your child in one moment of time. To do so would be to place a burden upon them that they would never be able to bear. It's quite similar in the spiritual realm with us and God. Along your life's journey, God will periodically address something in your life that isn't right. When he does so, simply confess it before him, and he will cleanse you from the same.

Here is God's desire for you:

"How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?" (Heb. 9:14)

God wants your conscience purged by the blood of Christ. Unless this happens, you will never be able to serve him because you'll always be under the burden of sin. I would recommend that you read Isaiah chapter 53 over and over again because it speaks of Christ's sacrificial atonement on our behalves.

Here it is:

Isaiah chapter 53

[1] Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
[2] For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
[3] He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
[4] Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
[5] But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
[6] All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
[7] He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
[8] He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
[9] And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
[10] Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
[11] He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
[12] Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

You need to see Jesus Christ as your "scapegoat" or as the one upon whom your own sins were placed. Pay close attention especially to verse 11. God saw the travail or anguish of Jesus' soul, AND HE WAS SATISFIED. God doesn't want your soul being overburdened with sin. Again, if he points out a sin in your life, then confess it before him, and the blood of Christ will purge your conscience from the same that you might be able to serve God with a clean conscience.

Please also take note of the last part of verse 12. Scripture teaches that Jesus Christ forever lives to make intercession for you. In other words, he is constantly praying FOR YOU before the Father in heaven. You will make it through by God's grace.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

Thank you
We are born again when we receive Lord Jesus and believe in Him. (John 1:12 & 13). At that time, all our sins are forgiven. I still remember the moment, 50 years ago, when I was born again. I was on a warship, surrounded by water but with no opportunity to be baptised. But I knew something was different and so did my shipmates. I knew also that my sins were forgiven, like a great weight had lifted off me.

Once I learned about baptism, I believed that it was the right thing to do. Over the decades since, I have learned what baptism is about. It has no bearing on your eternal destiny, but it is a blessing.

Christians are already forgiven. Our sins are paid for, past present and future. What we also need is continual cleansing. When we sin, our conscience is troubled and we lose fellowship with God. We do not lose our relationship. If you doubt this, ask yourself how you can be "unborn again"? The new birth is God's doing. He is not willing that any should perish, so He is not going to take away your new birth.

For sure it is essential to confess your sins and grow in grace and the knowledge of the Truth. We get one shot at life and it prepares us for eternity. God rewards those who put the Kingdom of God first and seek to know Him and His ways. Those who choose the easy way will suffer great loss and regret. Those who turn away from their own selfish desires, worldly ambitions and seek the narrow path will be greatly rewarded.

The "narrow way" is hard at times. I've tried the lazy, selfish way and it left me cold and hard hearted. I lost God's blessing and I suffered more than I should. The "narrow way" is tough at times. But there is comfort in Jesus on the path and great blessings as well as trials.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
1. You can't possibly remember every sin, so when a person dies, they will always have unconfessed sin in their life. So if confession is required. no one will make it.
Good point. Notice that - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (vs. 9) is IN CONTRAST TO - If we say that we have no sin, (present tense) we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us (vs. 8) and - If we say that we have not sinned, (past tense) we make him a liar, and his word is not in us (vs. 10).

Some people misunderstand verse 9 to mean that we "must confess each and every sin that we commit as we commit them" (keep a specific inventory) as an "additional requirement" to "remain cleansed" and "if we forget a sin we are toast!"

Believers speak the same/acknowledge/agree with God's perspective about their sins and have a settled recognition and acknowledgment that one is a sinner in need of cleansing and forgiveness.

Apr 25, 2021
Hi, Monika.

For example, we read:

John chapter 15

Hebrews chapter 12

I Peter chapter 3

I constantly notice myself sinning throughout the day and I don’t want to displease God, I struggle with perfectionism and ocd if that helps you understand, so I try really hard to get it right which is draining. I’m aware of it all and also know I’m human so I know it is impossible to be without sin but also trying not to sin is draining. I will attach a photo of the list of sins I found.

6D10D3EE-5CD0-4C30-9529-30EC367AAA71.jpeg

For the last month or so I have continuously researched so much related to Christianity and one being proof of Jesus rising from the dead, as Frank Turek says you can’t be 100% sure but the evidence points in favour. So I feel about 90% sure.

I feel drained, the more I watch videos ect the more I live in fear and paranoia. Some videos have titles “so many Christians are going to hell because of this” or titles along those lines. The videos say things like “even if the person was born again and kept sinning and didn’t repent they could go hell” and I don’t know what to believe because there is some things in the Bible that don’t directly answer my questions and I have sooo many. I know you must be born again, repent and also forgive everyone because if you don’t God won’t forgive you. Then I question that and think is resentment unforgivness?
Thank you

Apr 25, 2021
A very good question Monika, and one we should all consider very seriously. When we sin we should confess it and ask for forgiveness (1 John 1:9).

There are two important factors in play here. One is where we deliberately sin and the other is failing to do what is right (Commission and omission). Sins of omission are inaction (James 4:17).

We also commit sins that we don't even know that we are doing, personally I ask for forgiveness of those and ask God to show me these and give me wisdom (Psalm 19:12-13)

With all that said please remember that your position as a child of God will not change. God has made you righteous in His Son (2 Corinthians 5:21). But if we as children sin and do not repent we will feel the Fathers displeasure he will punish us..as any
good Father would do (Hebrews 12:5-7). So we do not need to live in fear as we have a good and loving Father.

So the question about dying with unconfessed sin's does not alter your position in Christ. You will still go to be with the Lord. But we shouldn't use this as an excuse to sin. We need to take Holiness very seriously.

Regarding Baptism. God commands it. Repent and be Baptised. I'm not going to get into the debate about infant baptism or what Baptists believe. At the end of the day if God commands it I'm doing it.

My advice regarding baptism is to ask your own minister/pastor.
Thank you for the response, it helps.

Apr 25, 2021
How often do we need to confess our sins? Repentance has two functions. Initial repentance leads to salvation. Continual repentance leads to having a solid relationship with God. For salvation purposes, we repent once for all our sins as sin becomes convicting and turns us to accept Christ. Once you put your faith in Jesus, you are forgiven, and your sins have been cleansed or erased from your debt. These are the sins of the past, present, and future. Your debt has been paid.

As a believer, if you die with unconfessed sins, you still will be saved as in your faith is in Christ Jesus, not your works or ability to obtain righteousness. You are already seen as righteous in the eyes of God by seeing you through the lens of Christ.

This is grace, as we do not deserve that type of sacrifice and love. But it was true love that saved us.

After conversion, if we lack in continual repentance, it hurts our relationship with God, not necessarily our salvation. Why necessarily? We are secured in Christ. But if we let those sins and the poor relationship take us into unbelief or rejection on Jesus Christ, then we are like the branches on the vine that are cut off and destroyed.

For salvation, yes, putting our faith in Jesus is the key to salvation. Water baptism is a ceremonial practice to show the witnesses you are a new believer, you need discipleship, and God as a witness, you are taking a vow to live for God. In most cases, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit came before baptism, but in a few instances, it came once baptized. This was possibly due to when the individual had a genuine conversion experience.

Ephesians 2:8-9

8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

This is what God does for us. Human belief is our only responsibility. Not just belief but a belief that calls for our submission to God's work within us.

Scripture has three words. Faith (pistis) faith (pisteuo) and believe (pisteuo)

PISTEUO:
Hebrews 11:6 New International Version (NIV)
6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

4100 pisteúō (from 4102 /pístis, "faith," derived from 3982 /peíthō, "persuade, be persuaded") – believe (affirm, have confidence); used of persuading oneself (= human believing) and with the sacred significance of being persuaded by the Lord (= faith-believing). Only the context indicates whether 4100 /pisteúō ("believe") is self-serving (without sacred meaning), or the believing that leads to/proceeds from God's inbirthing of faith.

PISTIS:
Ephesians 2:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—

(4102/pistis) is always a gift from God, and never something that can be produced by people. In short, 4102/pistis ("faith") for the believer is "God's divine persuasion" – and therefore distinct from human belief (confidence), yet involving it. The Lord continuously births faith in the yielded believer so they can know what He prefers, i.e. the persuasion of His will (1 Jn 5:4).
Wow thank you for that excellent response and information. You explained things very well, I appreciate the time you took with those questions.
God Bless ✝️

Apr 25, 2021
You'll go crazy if you don't change or you will fall away ... get this firmly stuck in your head, Jesus has died for your sin, ALL of it, gone forever.

Your flesh will never be perfect but your flesh is no longer the true you, the true you is the Christ life you have received, sin happens when you revert back to your old life, your old ways of thinking and doing things.

We confess our sins to God as an acknowledgement that you know the right way to go but failed in that instance, it is for fellowship, so that we can walk in agreement with God.

Baptism is good for an appeal for a clear conscience ... when the devil troubles you, reminding you of all your faults and weaknesses and failures, you can remind him that you have been baptised and that signifies that you have died with Christ with all your sine, buried with Him and are now risen with Him in newness of life.

Rejoice ... you have the victory, Jesus won it for you.
Thank you Evmur, I needed to hear it in that way because your right I am feeling like I’m going crazy.

I have turned away from a lot and I’m in constant renewing of my mind. I think my ocd and perfectionism has a lot to do with this in trying my absolute hardest to not sin and please God as much as I can.

I will reflect on your words, I appreciate it.

God Bless ✝️

Apr 25, 2021
We are born again when we receive Lord Jesus and believe in Him. (John 1:12 & 13). At that time, all our sins are forgiven. I still remember the moment, 50 years ago, when I was born again. I was on a warship, surrounded by water but with no opportunity to be baptised. But I knew something was different and so did my shipmates. I knew also that my sins were forgiven, like a great weight had lifted off me.

Once I learned about baptism, I believed that it was the right thing to do. Over the decades since, I have learned what baptism is about. It has no bearing on your eternal destiny, but it is a blessing.

Christians are already forgiven. Our sins are paid for, past present and future. What we also need is continual cleansing. When we sin, our conscience is troubled and we lose fellowship with God. We do not lose our relationship. If you doubt this, ask yourself how you can be "unborn again"? The new birth is God's doing. He is not willing that any should perish, so He is not going to take away your new birth.

For sure it is essential to confess your sins and grow in grace and the knowledge of the Truth. We get one shot at life and it prepares us for eternity. God rewards those who put the Kingdom of God first and seek to know Him and His ways. Those who choose the easy way will suffer great loss and regret. Those who turn away from their own selfish desires, worldly ambitions and seek the narrow path will be greatly rewarded.

The "narrow way" is hard at times. I've tried the lazy, selfish way and it left me cold and hard hearted. I lost God's blessing and I suffered more than I should. The "narrow way" is tough at times. But there is comfort in Jesus on the path and great blessings as well as trials.
“What we need is continual cleansing. When we sun our conscience is troubled and we loose fellowship with God”
I love how you said that. Because I have heard of people saying they were born again and then felt like they weren’t saved then became born again and again. Is there an instance where someone turns away from God or sins for some time and will need to be born again after being born again? I’m curious because it is good to know and I also have people in mind that this question could help.

L

Live4Him

I constantly notice myself sinning throughout the day and I don’t want to displease God, I struggle with perfectionism and ocd if that helps you understand, so I try really hard to get it right which is draining. I’m aware of it all and also know I’m human so I know it is impossible to be without sin but also trying not to sin is draining. I will attach a photo of the list of sins I found.

View attachment 227428

For the last month or so I have continuously researched so much related to Christianity and one being proof of Jesus rising from the dead, as Frank Turek says you can’t be 100% sure but the evidence points in favour. So I feel about 90% sure.

I feel drained, the more I watch videos ect the more I live in fear and paranoia. Some videos have titles “so many Christians are going to hell because of this” or titles along those lines. The videos say things like “even if the person was born again and kept sinning and didn’t repent they could go hell” and I don’t know what to believe because there is some things in the Bible that don’t directly answer my questions and I have sooo many. I know you must be born again, repent and also forgive everyone because if you don’t God won’t forgive you. Then I question that and think is resentment unforgivness?
Thank you
I'm out and posting from my phone, so I'll be brief.

For now, please try to watch the video that I sent you earlier about "THE GIFT of righteousness", and we can talk more later.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

View attachment 227428

Thank you
Wow thank you for that excellent response and information. You explained things very well, I appreciate the time you took with those questions.
God Bless ✝️
I struggle with perfectionism and ocd if that helps you understand, so I try really hard to get it right which is draining.
It is very draining if we go at Christianity in a legalistic mindset. Jesus frees us from this and that is truly what separates Christianity from all other world religions.

Matthew 11:28-30

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Frank Turek says you can’t be 100% sure but the evidence points in favour. So I feel about 90% sure.
I have read two of his books and listen to his podcast weekly. Great apologist and all the people he is connected to like J Warner Wallace.

I know you must be born again, repent and also forgive everyone because if you don’t God won’t forgive you.
It is on a much deeper level. It can be outward but more importantly it is inward. The point is you must live at peace in your heart. Holding grudges, wanting revenge, hatred, envy, etc, can ruin your Christ like image.

God Bless ✝️
No problem. This is what a lot of my study has gone to, which is within the apologetics realm of Christian study.