Repentance is the Gift Of God !

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People. 1

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People. 1
So ALL gentiles are saved then , as God has granted repentence to gentiles ?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016

Saying that God grants men the choice to repent is fundamentally different from saying God decides whether or not men will repent.

If man chooses to respond to God, then repentance can be granted.

Many of scriptures call for people to turn or repent. Kinda illogical to ask or command if the audience has no power to do so.

This is trying to fit a certain presumptive theological belief.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The need for repentance has been preached to non-believers for centuries.

God shows no partiality.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It seems to me that repentance is the key to salvation. When Jesus started his ministry, we are told, it was to repent. Matthew_4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Paul explained in Romans 6 that through baptism we are crucified with Christ and so we live with Christ. In 5:2 Paul asks "how then, when we are dead to sin should we live therein". If we don't live in sin, then our wishes and wants must be not to sin. That is saying we must live in a state of repentance for repentance is a turning from sin.

We know that as humans we are unable to be perfect, that perfection is only through Christ. But we are to choose how we want to live, and that is repentance.

S

SophieT

God has granted Jews and gentiles repentance.
I guess it is too much bother to actually state what you meant.

It's not a long op. I read it and have not opined on it. I just do not understand your point and you have offered nothing for me to reference. I hope it does not keep me up at night :oops:

S

SophieT

Saying that God grants men the choice to repent is fundamentally different from saying God decides whether or not men will repent.

Many of scriptures call for people to turn or repent. Kinda illogical to ask or command if the audience has no power to do so.

I am going to guess that others are possibly more familiar with what the op is presenting, in which case tf might be responding to that

Is the op referencing we do not choose or similar?

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I am going to guess that others are possibly more familiar with what the op is presenting, in which case tf might be responding to that

I would assume so. Their last thread was the same way.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I do not see where any of the Scriptures you gave say that repentance is a gift from God.

Some Scriptures to read:

Acts 3:19 - Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

2 Chronicles 7:14 - If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Luke 13:3 - I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Ezekiel 18:21-23 - But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Read More...)

Revelation 2:5 - Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Proverbs 28:13 - He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh [them] shall have mercy.

Matthew 4:17 - From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Romans 2:4 - Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

None of these say it is a "gift" from God.......

to "repent" is simply "to turn" from one thing/person towards another. Why would man NOT have this ability? Men do it all the time in their lives......in one way or another

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Where did he say that?
well he's been saying for a couple weeks that everyone Christ died for = saved, without mention of belief.
and the Bible says in a least a half a dozen places that Christ died for everyone.

.. but he says he's not a universalist. he just doesn't believe the Bible says what the Bible says. in his version of the Bible, Hebrews 2:9 says Christ tasted death only for an elite special few, not for everyone.

it's kinda difficult to have Bible discussions with people who write their own private bibles, smh :p

S

SophieT

well he's been saying for a couple weeks that everyone Christ died for = saved, without mention of belief.
and the Bible says in a least a half a dozen places that Christ died for everyone.

.. but he says he's not a universalist. he just doesn't believe the Bible says what the Bible says. in his version of the Bible, Hebrews 2:9 says Christ tasted death only for an elite special few, not for everyone.

it's kinda difficult to have Bible discussions with people who write their own private bibles, smh :p
ah. Got it now. Thanks for explaining what is going on here. I wasn't in on the special info ;)

it's kinda difficult to have Bible discussions with people who write their own private bibles, smh
ain't that the truth :giggle:

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020

Nothing about a choice has been said, where did you read that?

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
I do not see where any of the Scriptures you gave say that repentance is a gift from God.

Some Scriptures to read:

Acts 3:19 - Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

2 Chronicles 7:14 - If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Luke 13:3 - I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Acts 17:30 - And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Ezekiel 18:21-23 - But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. (Read More...)

Revelation 2:5 - Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Proverbs 28:13 - He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh [them] shall have mercy.

Matthew 4:17 - From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Romans 2:4 - Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

None of these say it is a "gift" from God.......

to "repent" is simply "to turn" from one thing/person towards another. Why would man NOT have this ability? Men do it all the time in their lives......in one way or another
The word grant or give implies a gift.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
No all gentiles are not saved. Where did you get that from?
I agree . So it means all Gentiies have been granted 'to come ' and recieve the Holy Spirit, through faith. He commands ALL MEN EVERYWHERE to repent.