Repentance is the Gift Of God !

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
You explain it well. And being humble before the Lord as we listen for His voice, our wanting to live with the Lord in His righteousness is truly living a life of repentance, it is all part of being born again.

Do you think that this is, for each person, final and does not need daily renewing, or do you think that once we are born again we are saved forever? We are told to ask for our DAILY bread. Daniel prayed daily, timing it to correspond to the hours the Lord told him was best. Wouldn't that tell us it is necessary for us to constantly renew living with the Lord in our hearts?
What did i explain well ? What did you understand me saying ?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
If people don't believe or repent it is because it was not given to them.
Yet Scripture says God's handiwork is evident, attesting to His existence, and those who deny Him are without excuse.

Therefore they cannot say as an excuse, "It was not given to me." There is no excuse.

Jesus is drawing all to Himself. Some refuse.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Yet Scripture says God's handiwork is evident, attesting to His existence, and those who deny Him are without excuse.

Therefore they cannot say as an excuse, "It was not given to me." There is no excuse.

Jesus is drawing all to Himself. Some refuse.
This is a rabbit trail statement.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
The unregenerate, who are in the flesh still, have no right to or no command to repent. All while in the flesh as natural men are bound to the Law, to do the whole Law as it was with Adam. So any command for men to repent as say in Acts 17:30

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Its to the regenerate, who through the work of Christ and the Holy Spirit have been freed to be married to another. Rom 7:1-3

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Now its only through the death of Christ for an individual are they free from the dominion of the law, however its a secret as who it is Christ died until born again by the Spirit. So even the unregenerate elect for whom Christ died, are bound to do the law. Until they are regenerate, the command to repent isnt for the unregenerate elect. All natural men are bound to and under the dominion of the Law. 7

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
I'm going to share a few scriptures on repentance. Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Acts 20:21

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

The greek word for repentance in these verses is metanoia and means:

change of mind, repentance

Usage: repentance, a change of mind, change in the inner man.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People. 1
Agreed, repentance: the changing of one’s mind or nature is a gift.

2 Cor. 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance: gar kata theos lupē katergazomai metanoia

Gar:
BCD47595-E02C-4264-AAF4-636F15EAE048.jpeg
Kata:
AC396438-607B-4AFE-9387-57C0B863EB8F.jpeg
Theos:
6FD5FDFC-2A7A-4208-B86D-973CE4EE3389.jpeg

Lupē:
F455839F-DEBD-4D86-8C15-B6A327FE437D.jpeg
katergazomai:
D0C8EDA9-2557-4E01-AA20-AF59D545FC14.jpeg

Metanoia:
6ABB6CD6-629E-4F3C-9F40-9D59A5380EB3.jpeg
The Strong’s Concordance app is free on the iPhone.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
A Godly Repentance certainly came from a Godly source, which could not have been the natural man.

Apr 15, 2017

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Notice also in Acts 5 and Acts 11 the God is said to give or grant this repentance. This repentance towards God is something man doesn't have naturally, it must be furnished by God. Its Gods Gift to His Chosen People. 1
We have a choice in our salvation because God's kingdom is true love, and God is not evil to condemn people that have no choice but to reject the truth.

But no person could of come to the truth unless God called them and intervened in their life for the flesh could not do it on it's own.

The Bible says many are called but few are chosen.

We did not choose God He chose us.

No person comes to the Son unless the Father draws them.

No person says Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Ghost.

Peter said Jesus is the Christ the Son of the living God and Jesus said flesh and blood did not reveal that to him but the Father.

No person can come to the truth unless God intervenes in their life before they confess Christ so God would have to grant us repentance which is part of the truth.

The Bible says that not all people who say Lord, Lord, will be able to dwell with Jesus.

Some have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof, ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Not many that are noble, wise after the flesh, and mighty are called because their heart condition is too arrogant, and they have a lot of lack of love for people.

When God calls a person according to their heart condition He will work with them to get them to the truth, and if they get to the door of truth they have to decide to go through the door for God's kingdom is true love, but they would of not got to the door of truth unless God intervened in their life for He chose them they did not choose Him.

It takes God to intervene in our life to accept the truth, so it takes God to grant us repentance which is the first step in believing the truth for we repent before anything else can happen.

We cannot confess Christ but not repent, we cannot receive the Spirit but not repent, so repentance is the first step in being in the truth and it comes from God for no person comes to the truth unless God intervenes in their life when He called them.

Mar 23, 2016
A Godly Repentance certainly came from a Godly source, which could not have been the natural man.
The point of the verse is that there are two kinds of sorrow ... a sorrow in which a person is truly contrite which is described as godly sorrow ... and a sorrow in which a person is not contrite (the person is sorry he/she got caught ... not that he/she did something egregious).

The verse then goes on to show the difference between the two types of sorrow:

godly sorrow works repentance in the person
the sorrow of the world works death in the person

Examples would be David (godly sorrow) and Saul (worldly sorrow).

NLT 2 Corinthians 7:

8 I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while.

9 Now I am glad I sent it, not because it hurt you, but because the pain caused you to repent and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants his people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way.

10 For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There’s no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death.

11 Just see what this godly sorrow produced in you! Such earnestness, such concern to clear yourselves, such indignation, such alarm, such longing to see me, such zeal, and such a readiness to punish wrong. You showed that you have done everything necessary to make things right.

12 My purpose, then, was not to write about who did the wrong or who was wronged. I wrote to you so that in the sight of God you could see for yourselves how loyal you are to us.

13 We have been greatly encouraged by this ...

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Yes but no where does it say its ' exclusive ' .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
The unregenerate, who are in the flesh still, have no right to or no command to repent. All while in the flesh as natural men are bound to the Law, to do the whole Law as it was with Adam. So any command for men to repent as say in Acts 17:30

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Its to the regenerate, who through the work of Christ and the Holy Spirit have been freed to be married to another. Rom 7:1-3

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Now its only through the death of Christ for an individual are they free from the dominion of the law, however its a secret as who it is Christ died until born again by the Spirit. So even the unregenerate elect for whom Christ died, are bound to do the law. Until they are regenerate, the command to repent isnt for the unregenerate elect. All natural men are bound to and under the dominion of the Law. 7
Another place where all seems to be saying ' all ' men but we have to switch off our brains and change what it says .

Feb 12, 2021

Amen!!!🙂

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
We have a choice in our salvation because God's kingdom is true love, and God is not evil to condemn people that have no choice but to reject the truth.

But no person could of come to the truth unless God called them and intervened in their life for the flesh could not do it on it's own.

The Bible says many are called but few are chosen.

We did not choose God He chose us.

No person comes to the Son unless the Father draws them.

No person says Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Ghost.

Peter said Jesus is the Christ the Son of the living God and Jesus said flesh and blood did not reveal that to him but the Father.

No person can come to the truth unless God intervenes in their life before they confess Christ so God would have to grant us repentance which is part of the truth.

The Bible says that not all people who say Lord, Lord, will be able to dwell with Jesus.

Some have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof, ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Not many that are noble, wise after the flesh, and mighty are called because their heart condition is too arrogant, and they have a lot of lack of love for people.

When God calls a person according to their heart condition He will work with them to get them to the truth, and if they get to the door of truth they have to decide to go through the door for God's kingdom is true love, but they would of not got to the door of truth unless God intervened in their life for He chose them they did not choose Him.

It takes God to intervene in our life to accept the truth, so it takes God to grant us repentance which is the first step in believing the truth for we repent before anything else can happen.

We cannot confess Christ but not repent, we cannot receive the Spirit but not repent, so repentance is the first step in being in the truth and it comes from God for no person comes to the truth unless God intervenes in their life when He called them.
Error, and you evaded the points made.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
The point of the verse is that there are two kinds of sorrow ... a sorrow in which a person is truly contrite which is described as godly sorrow ... and a sorrow in which a person is not contrite (the person is sorry he/she got caught ... not that he/she did something egregious).

The verse then goes on to show the difference between the two types of sorrow:

godly sorrow works repentance in the person
the sorrow of the world works death in the person

Examples would be David (godly sorrow) and Saul (worldly sorrow).

NLT 2 Corinthians 7:

8 I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while.

9 Now I am glad I sent it, not because it hurt you, but because the pain caused you to repent and change your ways. It was the kind of sorrow God wants his people to have, so you were not harmed by us in any way.

10 For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience leads us away from sin and results in salvation. There’s no regret for that kind of sorrow. But worldly sorrow, which lacks repentance, results in spiritual death.

11 Just see what this godly sorrow produced in you! Such earnestness, such concern to clear yourselves, such indignation, such alarm, such longing to see me, such zeal, and such a readiness to punish wrong. You showed that you have done everything necessary to make things right.

12 My purpose, then, was not to write about who did the wrong or who was wronged. I wrote to you so that in the sight of God you could see for yourselves how loyal you are to us.

13 We have been greatly encouraged by this ...
Again Godly repentance comes from a Godly source. Thats source is God !

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Did you understand the post points ? I cannot tell.
granted” does not mean “to effectually cause.” Two groups are granted, jews and gentiles , it doesn't say ' effectually caused ' . Again this is reading into the text .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
granted” does not mean “to effectually cause.” Two groups are granted, jews and gentiles , it doesn't say ' effectually caused ' . Again this is reading into the text . It is clear by the command to do ' repent ' and an expectation to follow it by all means its not an exclusive gift to only the frozen chosen .
To be clear ,I don't care for what's emotionally wrong with Calvernism. Fairness argument s ect or the idea that non calvinists cannot ' swallow these hard truths '. No if its true its true . No its because its not what the bible SAYS .

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
So, when the scripture says things like, “So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life” (Acts 11:18; 20:21) it does not mean “God has effectually caused a preselected few of the Gentiles to repent” but only that God has sent the gospel to the Gentiles, just as he did for the Jews, so that they too may believe and repent unto new life (John 20:31) and be grafted into the olive tree (Romans 11).