Repentance is the Gift Of God !

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Were all of the Ninevites “elect”? Wouldn’t that be something? A whole town of over 400,000 Gentiles and all of them “CHOSEN IN CHRIST BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD”?) 😕

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
“COMMANDETH ALL MEN EVERY WHERE TO REPENT” (Acts 17:30)

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
“COMMANDETH ALL MEN EVERY WHERE TO REPENT” (Acts 17:30). There is nothing about the “elect” in Acts 17:30. It is the judgment of the world (Acts 17:31).

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
Calvinists read “Then God has given the ability to repent to the elect, chosen in Christ be before the foundaiton of the world,” which is “stuff and nonsense”

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
All unsaved people can repent, and all “ensnared” believers can repent; God grants it to them when they meet the conditions. The condition for Gentiles in Acts 11:18 was believing on Christ, and the conditions here (2 Tim. 2:25) are in receiving instruction.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
The boasting there is not in relation to ' believing/ trusting the Gospel . Its about the law v Grace . You can't take that verse out of context and make it a verse that covers ' believing also . Thats not what the boasting is referring to . According to even Calvinism it requires a person to listen to someone telling them the gospel. They have to listen, pay attention ect ..
No .... the "and THAT not of yourselves" relates to the faith not to grace ... it is obvious to all that the grace is not ours but only Gods. People do not boast that they were saved by their own grace, they boast that they were saved by their own faith. Paul saw them coming.

You will have to ask the Calvinists about what they believe.

Listening and hearing are not the same thing ... we will only "hear" if God opens our ears to hear.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
No .... the "and THAT not of yourselves" relates to the faith not to grace ... it is obvious to all that the grace is not ours but only Gods. People do not boast that they were saved by their own grace, they boast that they were saved by their own faith. Paul saw them coming.

You will have to ask the Calvinists about what they believe.

Listening and hearing are not the same thing ... we will only "hear" if God opens our ears to hear.
The whole point of what Paul is saying is works of the law v grace. This is obvious all through Paul's letters.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
0e2634_281b587cd5844b7799f02241532330ce~mv2 - Copy (4).jpg accord - Copy (8) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy...jpg

"Ignored truth shall have severe consequences."

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
Dont know what you mean, God gives repentance and they repent. If God doesnt give repentance, they dont repent, simple as that
The word for give in Acts 5:31 and grant in Acts 11:18
didōmi it actually means to cause him to repent

Mar 23, 2016
Dont know what you mean, God gives repentance and they repent. If God doesnt give repentance, they dont repent, simple as that
God tells us in Ez 33:11 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways

Applying your rendering to Ez 33:11 ...

We know God does not have pleasure in the death of the wicked

And we know God wants the wicked to turn from his way and live

Yet when God tells the wicked turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways

God withholds that which is needed to turn???

Mar 23, 2016
The word for give in Acts 5:31 and grant in Acts 11:18
didōmi it actually means to cause him to repent
Thayer's Greek Lexicon concerning Acts 5:31:

6. δίδωμι is joined with nouns denoting an act or an effect
b. the noun denotes something to be done by him to whom it is said to be given: διδόναι τίνι μετάνοιαν, to cause him to repent, Acts 5:31; Acts 11:18; γνῶσινσωτηρίας,Luke 1:77; ἐλπίδα τίνι, 2 Thessalonians 2:16.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
God tells us in Ez 33:11 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways

You making a rabbit trail, not interested friend.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020

b. the noun denotes something to be done by him to whom it is said to be given: διδόναι τίνι μετάνοιαν, to cause him to repent, Acts 5:31; Acts 11:18; γνῶσινσωτηρίας,Luke 1:77; ἐλπίδα τίνι, 2 Thessalonians 2:16.
Thats one of the definitions, apparently you haven't studied all of the definitions like I have.

Mar 23, 2016
reneweddaybyday said:

You making a rabbit trail, not interested friend.

That is not a rabbit trail.

You
say "God gives repentance and they repent. If God doesnt give repentance, they dont repent".

Now apply what you say to Ez 33:11 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways

You are saying that God does not give repentance to those He clearly and unequivocally tells us His desire is that they turn from their evil ways.

Look, brightfame52, I am not telling you anything you haven't already heard from others here, as well as other websites you post your "Repentance is the Gift of God" spiel (theology web.com, christianityboard.com, worthychristianforums.com to name a few).

Pray for God to grant you understanding of the true meaning of repentance so that you may read all of Scripture with full understanding.

Mar 23, 2016
Thats one of the definitions, apparently you haven't studied all of the definitions like I have.
That "definition" is found in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament which, apparently, you reject.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
That is not a rabbit trail.

You say "God gives repentance and they repent. If God doesnt give repentance, they dont repent".

Now apply what you say to Ez 33:11 As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways

You are saying that God does not give repentance to those He clearly and unequivocally tells us His desire is that they turn from their evil ways.

Look, brightfame52, I am not telling you anything you haven't already heard from others here, as well as other websites you post your "Repentance is the Gift of God" spiel (theology web.com, christianityboard.com, worthychristianforums.com to name a few).

Pray for God to grant you understanding of the true meaning of repentance so that you may read all of Scripture with full understanding.
Yes it is a rabbit trail. God still gives repentance and it's not to all.

Mar 23, 2016
Yes it is a rabbit trail.
you claiming "rabbit trail" does not make it so.

When you will not even deal with the truth laid out in Scripture, and insist that it's your way or call "rabbit trail", I will stick with what God tells us ... As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways ... (Ez 33:11).

brightfame52 said:
God still gives repentance and it's not to all.
All on this forum acknowledge that not all come to repentance. All on this forum praise God for His boundless grace and mercy toward us.

However, not all on this forum (and other forums on which you post your spiel) agree with you in your understanding concerning this issue.

You have been given good instruction and understanding here and on the other forums. Do not reject the truth of Scripture in this matter.

Mar 23, 2016
You show your lack of study!
Your rejection of the definition of δίδωμι found in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament has nothing to do with my study.

brightfame52

Nov 21, 2020
you claiming "rabbit trail" does not make it so.

When you will not even deal with the truth laid out in Scripture, and insist that it's your way or call "rabbit trail", I will stick with what God tells us ... As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways ... (Ez 33:11).

All on this forum acknowledge that not all come to repentance. All on this forum praise God for His boundless grace and mercy toward us.

However, not all on this forum (and other forums on which you post your spiel) agree with you in your understanding concerning this issue.

You have been given good instruction and understanding here and on the other forums. Do not reject the truth of Scripture in this matter.
In my opinion its a evasion and rabbit trail, it has no bearing whatsoever on God granting repentance to His Elect. Acts 5:31;11:18