Research: Majority of Americans Believe Works Are the Key to Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 31, 2021
Yes, there are verses that teach that faith without works is a dead faith.
Far too many people totally misunderstand James.

A "dead faith" is a faith without deeds. That does NOT mean an unsaving faith. There is no such thing as an unsaving faith.

We are saved by grace through faith. Eph 2:8 Do you believe that or not.

James 2:26
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.
The point of James in 2:14-26 is found in v.18
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds. Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds."

This is a challenge by "someone" to another who has faith. The "someone" says that he "has deeds". The challenge is to demonstrate your faith WITHOUT DEEDS. And the "someone" ends with "I will show you MY FAITH by my deeds."

James wanted believers to demonstrate their faith through works/deeds. He was addressing those who were already saved, and he was encouraging them to demonstrate their faith to others.

You have been corrected.
I believe you have just been.

Jan 31, 2021
Goliath said:
PS

Loving others leads to sinless perfection, by changing the heart.
Now that's a better answer!
Still wrong.

First, there is no such thing as "sinless perfection" this side of eternity. That's why all believers will receive a glorified body that CAN'T AND WON'T sin. Until then, believers can only grow up spiritually and sin less. That's why we have been given 1 John 1:9. And v.6 and 8.

Second, we can't "change the heart". God does that when we believe in Christ. It's called regeneration or being born again.

What is true is that loving others is the greatest thing a believer can do. 1 Cor 13.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
I would say that majority of all people believe in good works can save them but this is not what the scriptures tell us. There seems support in the scripture but if the word is rightly divided then we would understand that salvation is already done. Christ did it on the cross. God bless!

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Goliath said:
PS

Still wrong.

First, there is no such thing as "sinless perfection" this side of eternity. That's why all believers will receive a glorified body that CAN'T AND WON'T sin. Until then, believers can only grow up spiritually and sin less. That's why we have been given 1 John 1:9. And v.6 and 8.

Second, we can't "change the heart". God does that when we believe in Christ. It's called regeneration or being born again.

What is true is that loving others is the greatest thing a believer can do. 1 Cor 13.
Are you saying that the Inquisitor is not perfectly righteous?

Be careful how you answer.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022

A "dead faith" is a faith without deeds. That does NOT mean an unsaving faith. There is no such thing as an unsaving faith.

We do have a difference of opinion on this point.

The tree must bear fruit, what happens to the tree if it does not bear fruit?

Galatians 6:8
For the one who sows to his own flesh will reap destruction from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit.

Watch your step here. I am not proposing faith plus works, if you think I am, then you would be wrong.

Once again, we are saved by grace through faith.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Goliath said:
PS

Still wrong.

Yes there is.

What did the crucifixion of Jesus achieve for us?

Watch your step when you answer.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I would say that majority of all people believe in good works can save them but this is not what the scriptures tell us. There seems support in the scripture but if the word is rightly divided then we would understand that salvation is already done. Christ did it on the cross. God bless!
I am not sure how you handle the gospel?

You are correct that the glory belongs to Christ alone. We have been fully reconciled to the Father through Jesus Christ.

Now the question for you is as follows.

Now that I have become a Christian, am I now able to live a sinful life, a life devoid of love?

Jan 31, 2021
Are you saying that the Inquisitor is not perfectly righteous?

Be careful how you answer.
Seems you are trying to move the goalposts. :) The term I was replying to was "sinless perfection".

That aside, believers have been united IN Christ, which theologically is called union with Christ. That means all believers share with Christ in their position IN Him.

So, since Jesus is perfectly righteous, and we share in that righteousness, yes, he is.

However, if by "perfectly righteous" is meant no more sin in this life, I strongly disagree.

1 John 1-
6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth.
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

v.6 Seems way too many believers have no concept of what "fellowship with Him" even means.
v.8 those who claim sinless perfection have no truth in them.
v.9 the solution to our sins; confession. This restores fellowship with the Lord.
v.10 those who claim sinless perfection are making God out to be a liar and they don't know His Word.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:

We do have a difference of opinion on this point.
I don't think either James 2:18 or Eph 2:8 are so vague that opinions are necessary. They are very plainly stated verses.

The tree must bear fruit, what happens to the tree if it does not bear fruit?
I'm sure you are trying to force this metaphor to being cast into hell. Well, that does not work. James 2:18 stands in spite of your attempt to bring in a metaphor which has NO relationship to hell at all.

A tree that doesn't bear fruit is a tree that can't be identified. Which is James' point in 2:18. :)

For the one who sows to his own flesh will reap destruction from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit.

Watch your step here. I am not proposing faith plus works, if you think I am, then you would be wrong.
If you are not, then why even quote this verse? Most people quote this verse in an attempt to show that works are required for salvation.

The words "destruction of the flesh" refers to physical death as a result of God's discipline. We see this clearly in 1 Cor 11:30, and other verses. Like 1 Cor 5:5 and the incestuous believer in Corinth.

The words "reap eternal life" doesn't mean earn eternal life, but earn reward in eternity.

Instead of "sowing to the Spirit" many believers are guilty of "grieving the Spirit" in Eph 4:30 or "quenching the Spirit" in 1 Thess 5:19.

Once again, we are saved by grace through faith.
Amen! And Jesus said that recipients of eternal life shall never perish. And He gave no exceptions to that promise.

Jan 31, 2021
Yes there is.

What did the crucifixion of Jesus achieve for us?
Christ's death was on behalf of the entire human race. iow, He died for all, everyone. A number of verses plainly say this.

So, does that save everyone? Obviously not. So your question is good. Every believer should understand this important point.

Christ's death reconciled the world to God. 2 Cor 5:19 - that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

This does NOT mean that reconciliation equals salvation. It means that Christ removed the sin barrier that separates man from God.

By removing the sin barrier, every person is able to be saved.

Watch your step when you answer.
I appreciate your concern for me. Yes, I do watch my step. I do that by using the Berean study method. I apply that to every doctrine or theology I come across. :)

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
FreeGrace2 said:

Our interpretation of the verses below means we arrive at a different understanding, of that free gift of salvation.

Luke 13:7
And he said to the vineyard-keeper, ‘Look! For three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?’

That tree represents the Christian life, no fruit, then in time, that Christian is severed, they never really believed in Jesus.

The comparison is clearly between two outcomes, destruction and eternal life, damnation and salvation.

I am shocked that you will alter the plain reading of the text and say something about reward.

James 2:17
In the same way, faith also, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.

A dead faith means what it says, zero faith, unbelief.

The scripture is clear on the point, that living the Christian life is a critical requirement.

You know that 'dead faith' means no faith. I wonder why you do not understand what it is written.
I don't think either James 2:18 or Eph 2:8 are so vague that opinions are necessary. They are very plainly stated verses.
They are not plain, after you have altered the direct meaning of those verses. Or ignored the context.

James2:26
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

There cannot be any dispute about the meaning of the verse above.

We are never saved by any other means than God's grace. Though, we are created for good works. No good works during the Christian life means no faith. No faith means no forgiveness, no grace.

You have deleted half of the New Testament with your interpretation.

Why did Paul write all his letters?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Christ's death was on behalf of the entire human race. iow, He died for all, everyone. A number of verses plainly say this.

So, does that save everyone? Obviously not. So your question is good. Every believer should understand this important point.

Christ's death reconciled the world to God. 2 Cor 5:19 - that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

This does NOT mean that reconciliation equals salvation. It means that Christ removed the sin barrier that separates man from God.

I appreciate your concern for me. Yes, I do watch my step. I do that by using the Berean study method. I apply that to every doctrine or theology I come across. :)
You are half correct.

Jesus asked you to follow Him. Living a life of sin and selfishness, is the opposite of love and grace.

You cannot walk in the opposite direction and expect to arrive at the destination.

Yes, God has broken down the barrier and permitted access to all areas of salvation.

You must both believe in Jesus and walk in the Spirit. Not walking in the Spirit means you do not believe in Jesus.

It's so obvious it's painful.

Oct 6, 2021
I strongly disagree here. Salvation is clearly communicated in the Bible. No mystery at all.

Paul's answer to the jailer's question leaves no room for confusion, doubt, etc.

Jailer: what MUST I DO to be saved?
Paul: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.

No one is saved by "following the Holy Spirit". The Bible never says anything like that.
Mystery.....
The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
(John 3:8)

This was my experience....When I began to follow the Holy Spirit. I simply followed the instruction put into my mind...I didn't even know where the instruction came from...and I didn't know where I was going.
Many people become Christians...just to be saved, and believe they are saved by saying a prayer, being baptized or when they are gifted with Gods Holy Spirit.

They preach against Works...when in their very testimonies, they claim to have saved themselves by saying a prayer, being baptized or when they receive the Holy Spirit. If they weren't saved before doing these things, and they were saved after doing these things...they obviously saved themselves by doing these things.

No one is saved following the Holy Spirit? Now...That's why salvation is such a mystery.

Oct 6, 2021
So Paul was wrong?
....(Romans 2:6-7)
God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.

Oct 6, 2021
Christ's death was on behalf of the entire human race. iow, He died for all, everyone.
This does NOT mean that reconciliation equals salvation. It means that Christ removed the sin barrier that separates man from God. By removing the sin barrier, every person is able to be saved.
On this we agree...The sacrifice of Jesus Christ removes the sin barrier, a barrier which is between God and man. But we must use his sacrifice to remove that barrier, and that barrier is removed through the Confession of sin.

Agree..or Disagree?

Nov 26, 2021
India
In Job, we see that there were many believers on Earth, but God was more pleased with Job than everyone else on Earth at the time:

Job 1:

"5And when the days of feasting were over, Job would send for his children to purify them, rising early in the morning to offer burnt offerings for all of them. For Job thought, “Perhaps my children have sinned and cursed God in their hearts.” This was Job’s regular practice ... 8Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job? For there is no one on earth like him, a man who is blameless and upright, who fears God and shuns evil.”

Good works don't save us, but they do matter and please God. Those believers who do more Good Works will be rewarded more in Heaven, as many Biblical passages indicate. Good Works, as St. James says, complete faith and make it perfect, as Abraham also showed. God has always been pleased with a multitude of offering and sacrifices, which represent the multitude of good works we are called to do: "16And do not neglect to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." (Heb 13:16)

Again, as with Job, why was God more pleased with Abraham than others alive at the time, even other believers? Because "his faith was working with his actions, and his faith was perfected by what he did. 23And the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”i and he was called a friend of God.j 24As you can see, a man is justified by his deeds and not by faith alone." (Jam 2:22-24).

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:

Our interpretation of the verses below means we arrive at a different understanding, of that free gift of salvation.
OK, you want to change the subject. I would have preferred an answer to my question, but, oh well.

Luke 13:7
And he said to the vineyard-keeper, ‘Look! For three years I have come looking for fruit on this fig tree without finding any. Cut it down! Why does it even use up the ground?’

That tree represents the Christian life, no fruit, then in time, that Christian is severed, they never really believed in Jesus.
Did Jesus explain His parable in the gospels? Unless He did, you have no authority to tell us what you think Jesus meant.

The purpose of parables was to give truth in a way that those with closed eyes/ears couldn't understand.

And even His own disciples needed His parables to be explained. And their eyes/ears weren't closed to truth.

I woule never base any doctrine on a parable. Anyone can claim nearly anything about a parable, and who could argue?

The comparison is clearly between two outcomes, destruction and eternal life, damnation and salvation.
Actually, not. The verse isn't even about damnation, but rather "destruction from the flesh" is a reference to God's divine discipline resulting in physical death. Paul made that point in 1 Cor 11:30.

The word "reap" refers to earning something. As in "you reap what you sow". You earn or deserve it.

So, "reaping eternal life" refers to earning reward in eternity. As Jesus said in Rev 22-
12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done.

We know that salvation doesn't come with Him because salvation comes when a person believes in Him for it.

I am shocked that you will alter the plain reading of the text and say something about reward.
Well, you need to study more. Reward is a legitimate concept in the Bible.

Rewards are EARNED. They are NOT a gift. Rev 22:12 proves that reward is earned.

James 2:17
In the same way, faith also, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.

A dead faith means what it says, zero faith, unbelief.
This is very common error in James 2. To say that "dead faith" equals NO faith is wrong.

Would you say that a "dead body" is really "no body". If you have a dead body, you HAVE A BODY. You can't deny that FACT.

Same is true of faith. You've got some repenting to do about your understanding of Scripture.

The scripture is clear on the point, that living the Christian life is a critical requirement.
If you believe that lifestyle is a requirement for salvation, then we really don't have anything more to discuss. Salvation is by grace through faith, and NEVER by lifestyle.

You know that 'dead faith' means no faith.
I reject that as strongly as I can. Again, a dead body is STILL a body. You cannot deny and still claim sanity.

And again, James 2:18 summarizes the whole point of 2:14-26. I expained it clearly. You can reject that, but that is the FACT.

The ONLY WAY to demonstrate your faith is by works. FACT. The example James gave in 2:15,16 is of a believer who didn't demonstrate his faith by works. He paid lip service to people in need. That has nothing to do with his saved state.

This passage is also taught in 1 John 3:18 - Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

See? James 2 is about actual service and NOT lip service. The man in the example gave very kind words, but failed to back it up with and actions, like giving them food and clothes.

Many believers pay lip service without backing it up with action.

Doesn't mean the person isn't saved, but it does mean his/her faith is unproductive, which is what "dead" means figuratively.

I wonder why you do not understand what it is written.They are not plain, after you have altered the direct meaning of those verses. Or ignored the context.
Gee. I wonder why you do not understand what it written. Can you address the verses I quote and prove that they say something other than what I explain?

James2:26
A body without a spirit is STILL A BODY. It still exists. FACT. Your understanding of James fails.

There cannot be any dispute about the meaning of the verse above.
Apparently you still don't get it.

If one of your parents die, would you ignore the body as if it no longer existed?

We are never saved by any other means than God's grace.
Correct.

Though, we are created for good works.
Correct.

No good works during the Christian life means no faith.
This is a failed understanding.

No faith means no forgiveness, no grace.
If a person has never believed, then yes, of course. However, James wrote to believers, so your pretext is false. James wanted believers to demonstrate their faith to others, and NOT just give lip service.

You have deleted half of the New Testament with your interpretation.
I think this is delusional.

Why did Paul write all his letters?
To teach and encourage believers to live out their faith, share their faith with others. Both 1 Pet 3:15 and Col 4:6 show that personal evangelism comes primarily through the believers' lifestyle that brings questions about it. And believers are to "be prepared" to give an answer.

I'm giving all your pastors a failing grade.

However, you still have Acts 17:11, so you have no excuse for the poor and inaccurate teaching you have received.

I use the Berean study method for years and it has served me very well.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:

You are half correct.
Really.

Jesus asked you to follow Him. Living a life of sin and selfishness, is the opposite of love and grace.
All believers have been chosen (elected) for service, which includes a holy and blameless lifestyle. Eph 1:4.

But that has nothing to do with how to get saved.

You cannot walk in the opposite direction and expect to arrive at the destination.
Why do you think that anyone walks towards salvation? You really don't seem to understand how to get saved if you believe this.

There are NO verses that say this in any way.

Yes, God has broken down the barrier and permitted access to all areas of salvation.
Uh, "all areas of salvation"??? What do you mean?

You must both believe in Jesus and walk in the Spirit.
As a practicing Berean, show me the Scripture.

Not walking in the Spirit means you do not believe in Jesus.
Again, show me the Scripture.

It's so obvious it's painful.
Again, it is really obvious how little of the NT you understand.

Paul wrote to believers to STOP grieving (Eph 4:30) and STOP quenching (1 Thess 5:19) the Spirit. Are those believers not really believers? Nonsense.

And Paul commands all believers to be filled with the Spirit. Do you know how to obey that command?

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
I strongly disagree here. Salvation is clearly communicated in the Bible. No mystery at all.

Paul's answer to the jailer's question leaves no room for confusion, doubt, etc.

Jailer: what MUST I DO to be saved?
Paul: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.

No one is saved by "following the Holy Spirit". The Bible never says anything like that.
Mystery.....
The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
(John 3:8)
What does this have to do with salvation? Nothing. Jesus was just making the point that believers don't look different than anyone else.

This was my experience....When I began to follow the Holy Spirit.
OK, now I'm starting to see where you are coming from. Your own experience. And that's a huge problem. One's experience may NOT line up with the truth of Scripture. Which leads the person down a false path.

I simply followed the instruction put into my mind...I didn't even know where the instruction came from...and I didn't know where I was going.
What "instruction" are you referring to? From the Bible (then share it) or from inside your head?

Many people become Christians...just to be saved, and believe they are saved by saying a prayer, being baptized or when they are gifted with Gods Holy Spirit.
No one is gifted with God's Spirit UNLESS they have believed savingly on Christ. Eph 1:13 shows that.

They preach against Works...when in their very testimonies, they claim to have saved themselves by saying a prayer, being baptized or when they receive the Holy Spirit. If they weren't saved before doing these things, and they were saved after doing these things...they obviously saved themselves by doing these things.
I'm not really interested in what idiots do or say. It is obvious those who do these things are quite ignorant of the Word of God.

No one is saved following the Holy Spirit? Now...That's why salvation is such a mystery.
I don't understand your question, and you still haven't proven from Scripture that salvation is by following the Spirit.

Where is your evidence? And I don't mean your "experience".

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
Christ's death was on behalf of the entire human race. iow, He died for all, everyone.
This does NOT mean that reconciliation equals salvation. It means that Christ removed the sin barrier that separates man from God. By removing the sin barrier, every person is able to be saved.
On this we agree...The sacrifice of Jesus Christ removes the sin barrier, a barrier which is between God and man. But we must use his sacrifice to remove that barrier, and that barrier is removed through the Confession of sin.

Agree..or Disagree?
Disagree. Because Jesus' sacrifice REMOVES (your word above) the sin barrier, we have nothing to remove, so your comment "But we must use his sacrifice to remove that barrier" is false. But since you think so, how would that work in your theology. iow, how would a person "use Christ's sactifice to remove that barrier"? Thanks.

1 John 1:9 is a verse about how to be cleansed from sins in order to restore fellowship with the Lord.

Do you believe that there can be no fellowship between spouses? Do you believe that there can be no fellowship between parents and children? The answer should be yes.

How is fellowship restored in marriage and in families? Through admission of being wrong, which is confession of sin.

Count the times John used "fellowship" in ch 1 of 1 John. That is the thrust of that chapter, and the means to restoring fellowship.