Research: Majority of Americans Believe Works Are the Key to Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Galatians 5:14-15~ The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
But if you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out, or you will be consumed by one another.

Oct 6, 2021
Once again.

John said if WE say we have no sin (present tense) we are decieved.

John said when we sin, we have an advocate (if we could be sinless, this is nonsensical)

James tells us to confess our sins to one another. This is nonsensical if we could be sinless.

If you are sinless. You have arrived. You have no further need to run the race nore do you need Gods help. you have arrived.

On the other hand, if like the pharisee, you think you have no sin. You are not only decieved as John said, You are unable to Grow. The HS can not work in you. because you deny the sin he is accusing you of. and you are prety much helpless in the means of growth. You will remain stagnant and appear as proud person who pumps their chest praising God they arw not like the sinner.
I agree...it does sound kinda goofy in the manner in which many understand it. But you must recognize the fact, that not everyone who calls Jesus, 'Lord, 'Lord, will be saved.
"Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?
(Luke 6:46)

Jesus told us this in the Gospel of Salvation...and now I am telling you. The church is full of this type of Christian, the foolish builder, because of a belief just like yours. Look again at (John 8:34-35).
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.
Notice in the passage...both the slave and the Son are in the same family. Do you think the unbeliever is in the family?
Jesus is talking about those who recognize themselves as sinners...(All Christians before they are born of God) and those who have overcome sin..becoming the Sons of God. So..as a teacher with both types of Christians...the disciples were Simply addressing both types in these statements.

Oct 6, 2021

Galatians 5:14-15~ The entire law is fulfilled in a single decree: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
But if you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out, or you will be consumed by one another.
But do you not need to do something to keep this commandment?

Jan 31, 2021
To be clear...You believe everyone who says they believe Jesus is the Son of God..is saved?
to be clear....everyone who believes that Jesus is the Son of God is saved.

I don't care what people say. It is about what they believe.

Liars lie. Believers believe. That's the difference.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
Well, thanks for the clarity. We are very far apart in our theologies.
I agree...mine comes from the teaching of Jesus Christ through his Holy Spirit.
So you think. That's what everyone thinks. Why would anyone admit that their theology comes from any other source?

But your theology does NOT line up with the Bible, whether you understand that or not.

From the Author of Salvation....
On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ ” 28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”
(Luke 10:25-28)

If you disagree, your disagreement is not only with me...but with the Lords teachings.
I see that you don't understand what Jesus was telling this rich young ruler then. He thought he would "inherit eternal life" by 'keeping the Law". And he did keep some or most of them. So what? Jesus went to his heart and proved to him that he wasn't even keeping the first and MOST IMPORTANT commandment. He loved his wealth way more than God. That is why he went away sad.

He wasn't even ready to hear the gospel. He thought he would get into heaven by keeping some of the Law.

FreeGrace2 said:
And the rest of your post highly suggests that you think lifestyle is part of the manner in which we get saved. That is exactly what the Pharisees of Jesus' day thought as well. And Jesus really reamed them for it.
Yes I do, and here are two witnesses who agrees with me. Would you like to see more?
And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. (Revelation 20:12)
For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.
(1 Peter 4:6)
So you think the crowd at the GWT judgment agrees with you? Sure, maybe they do. They all were hoping to avoid the lake of fire based on their deeds. That's the point Jesus made in Matt 7:21-23.

The point of being judged based on their deeds was to determine the level of "tolerability" IN the LoF.

This is what Jesus taught about the varying levels of tolerability in the LoF:

Matt 11:24 - But I tell you that it will be more tolerable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom than for you.”

That's all that works will get you. A somewhat more tolerable place in the LoF. That's all.

If you are basing your lifestyle on getting into heaven, then know this: you'd better hustle with all your might, because all you're going to get for all that work and effort is a somewhat more tolerable place in the LoF.

That is what Jesus taught.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
You should read 1 John 1:8 and 10.
1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
1 John 1:10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make Him out to be a liar and his Word is not in us.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
But do you not need to do something to keep this commandment?
Let's take a look at an abbreviated ten commandments.

The Ten Commandments (from Exodus 20:2-17 NKJV)

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.

2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy: you shall do no work.

5. Honor your father and your mother.

6. You shall not murder.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

8. You shall not steal.

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, wife, servant, ox, donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

What do you see? I see a lot of don't do this and don't do that.

Loving others entails a lot of don'ts. True religion is looking after those in need.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
I agree...it does sound kinda goofy in the manner in which many understand it. But you must recognize the fact, that not everyone who calls Jesus, 'Lord, 'Lord, will be saved.
"Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?
(Luke 6:46)

Jesus told us this in the Gospel of Salvation...and now I am telling you. The church is full of this type of Christian, the foolish builder, because of a belief just like yours. Look again at (John 8:34-35).
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.
Notice in the passage...both the slave and the Son are in the same family. Do you think the unbeliever is in the family?
No they are not. They have not been adopted in the family of God

Jesus is talking about those who recognize themselves as sinners...(All Christians before they are born of God) and those who have overcome sin..becoming the Sons of God. So..as a teacher with both types of Christians...the disciples were Simply addressing both types in these statements.
John said if WE (those who are brothers and sisters in christ) Claim you are without sin. WE DECEIVE OURSELF

Now unless you want to confess and admit there are times you still chose to serve self and Not God and others.. Then you have an issue, and you should heed Johns words.

Feb 24, 2022

You forgot those who believe in a lie.

Oct 6, 2021

Thank you brother for your candid answer.
I obviously believe Jesus is the Son of God...so because of this, do you believe I am saved?

Oct 6, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
So you think. That's what everyone thinks. Why would anyone admit that their theology comes from any other source?
Well they might think so...but if Jesus taught in many churches he would be thrown out an told never return.

FreeGrace2 said:
I see that you don't understand what Jesus was telling this rich young ruler then. He thought he would "inherit eternal life" by 'keeping the Law". And he did keep some or most of them. So what? Jesus went to his heart and proved to him that he wasn't even keeping the first and MOST IMPORTANT commandment. He loved his wealth way more than God. That is why he went away sad.
So are you saying Jesus lied to this man, just to make a point? And by the way, would you like me to show you where your teaching are against what Jesus taught?

Oct 6, 2021
No they are not. They have not been adopted in the family of God.
Well then...Now you have the Truth. You are a sinner...Jesus says you are a servant of sin...and you have not been adopted into the family. If you have not been adopted, you are saved.
Now it's not just a matter of hearing the Truth...Brother you must believe it..or you will not be saved.

Oct 6, 2021
Let's take a look at an abbreviated ten commandments.

The Ten Commandments (from Exodus 20:2-17 NKJV)

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.

2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.

3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy: you shall do no work.

5. Honor your father and your mother.

6. You shall not murder.

7. You shall not commit adultery.

8. You shall not steal.

9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10. You shall not covet your neighbor's house, wife, servant, ox, donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

What do you see? I see a lot of don't do this and don't do that.

Loving others entails a lot of don'ts. True religion is looking after those in need.

Gods answer.....I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
(Exodus 20:5-6)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Gods answer.....I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.
(Exodus 20:5-6)
Keep them largely by "don't do this" and "don't do that." ;)