Research: Majority of Americans Believe Works Are the Key to Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
For centuries, Christians have understood from Scripture the Biblical distinction between the Mosaic Law and the Moral Law.

There are many verses which clearly establish this distinction, for example, 1 Kings 21:8 KJV. Here, we see so crystal clear a distinction that only by stubborn willful ignorance can deny it:

• God speaks of the laws HE HIMSELF COMMANDED (those which He spoke in the hearing of the people at Sinai which have existed since time immemorial)...

• ....AND those to whom God gave MOSES TO COMMAND.
Is the following law, a moral commandment or a ceremonial law?

Exodus 21:16
Now one who kidnaps someone, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall certainly be put to death.

Feb 24, 2022
I believe you have just borne false witness against me.

So if you believe you keep the commandments, you are sadly mistaken.
Yeah, you know what, that episode with the rich young ruler is a conversation that every Christian must have with Jesus. You must've heard that rendezvous with Nicodemus is THE conversation for every Christian to be born again, but the one with the rich young ruler is the real deal, and you rarely hear anybody bring that up. That guy kept the commandments, he kept them since he was a kid, and also, based on disciples' reaction of astonishment, you can see that this guy was like a respected role model that everybody looked up to, and Jesus didn't call him out for lying or bragging, but all his reputaion and good behaviors couldn't earn him eternal life. He still held onto his great possession, and therefore he failed the test. He couldn't leave his ox and field behind like Elisha, he couldn't sacrifice Isaac on Mount Moriah like Abraham. Nope, the cares of this world weighed heavier in his heart than Jesus, therefore he left with a sad face. So, it's not about keeping the commandments EVEN IF YOU CAN, ultimately, it's about letting the Lord increase and letting ourselves decrease, it's about exalting his name over every other name.

Oct 6, 2021
when we believe we can save ourselves is our faith in God to save us, or in self?

I think you answered your own question
My brother...How do you know if you are saved?
And BTW...thanks again for catching my error in my earlier post...It was confusing 🤓

Oct 6, 2021
Then according to John 20:31 you are saved. No argument.

Do you believe that based on being saved, which means possessing eternal life, per John 5:24, do you believe that you shall never perish?
That's a very good question, my Brother!
When I believed as you, I found myself always second guessing my salvation. I always wondered..."Do I believe enough to be saved?"... And when I turned 18...and left home, I didn't attend Church again until I was 21..and that was only because I was made to go. And that one time...,sparked my interest in the existence of God.

I was in Marine boot camp.... and they made us go to church on Sunday. Believe it or not..Marine Boot Camp is very stressful. It's So stressful, it caused some people to commit suicide before graduation.
Well,...when someone was brave enough to ask a Drill Instructor, 'Why do we have to go?", he gave this answer, "We have discovered that it has a calming effect on the recruits and it has brought the rate of suicide down to almost zero".

They only made us go the one time...but I can tell you this, nobody in my platoon missed another Sunday service, except one, until after we graduated. Most of us skipped the second Sunday, not realizing just how powerful, and needed,... that calming feeling actually was....even the atheists attended. Those services were covered up in Gods Grace...especially when we would sing praises to God. Five or six hundred young Marines singing in harmony...just beautiful...and the joy we were filled with would last for days!!

None of understood it...But we all loved those services!! You see...even though I believed I was saved...I actually became an Agnostic after I left home, because I simply didn't have any proof that I was saved.
Twenty years later...I got my proof! And (1 John) confirmed it!!

Oct 6, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
So you think. That's what everyone thinks. Why would anyone admit that their theology comes from any other source?
I do agree with that. Sad.
Very sad!! And it's Good to know that you see it too!!

FreeGrace2 said:Absolutely not. My point was that the RYR wasn't even ready for the gospel. Like an atheist who doesn't believe that God exists or that there is an after life. The gospel means nothing to them. They have to realize that God exists (Rom 1:19-20) and that He rewards those who seek Him (Heb 11:6). And they have to believe that there is an afterlife and something to be saved from..
I agree...as I posted above, I thought I was saved early in my life...but discovered I really didn't even believe in God. If I didn't believe in God, how could I believe in his Son?

FreeGrace2 said: Please do. I don't want to be wrong any more than you would.
Ahhh...surely a sign of wisdom.....Whoever heeds life-giving correction will be at home among the wise.
(Proverbs 15:31)

Oct 6, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
You should read 1 John 1:8 and 10.

I have. And I've never seen any teaching about achieving sinless perfection.
You will see it, if you can honestly answer the following questions. In (John 8:34)...Why does the Son have Eternal Life? And why is the slave...a slave of sin?

Oct 6, 2021
I didn't say the verse makes the Sabbath a day of assembly - however, we can read where God describes the yearly "sabbaths" of the Jews as "holy convocations", so it's absurd to think those sabbaths included gathering together, but the "Sabbath of the Lord thy God" does not? OF course, it is a day of coming together for worship and fellowship.

What I did say is that the idea that the "seventh day" and the "Sabbath day" are distinct one from the other is overthrown by 1 Chronicles 17:27 KJV.
Well I was actually looking for a verse....not Subjective reasoning.

Oct 6, 2021
I am sorry to learn you reject Scripture.

I believe you have just borne false witness against me.

So if you believe you keep the commandments, you are sadly mistaken.
If you refuse to answer a simple question, just say so. There is no need to play the victim.

Oct 6, 2021
Are you saying you believe you merit God's favor?

Your assertion that I bolded above makes little no sense.
Jesus and I both do....Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”
(John 14:21)

Why does Jesus say, in this passage, that God the Father loves us?
You see...I asked my question in the other post, to open your eyes.
Jesus used questions for the same application.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
Nope. I didn't forget that. And I didn't state EVERY truth in Scripture.

Why are you soooooo critical of everything I post?
Because everything you post is very misleading.
Everything I post is as clear as can be communicated. Why are you reading my posts with such hostility?

A true believer's focus is always on the Lord, not his own belief or unbelief.
When I post on forums, I am posting about the Word of God. And I show what I believe with the Scripture that says what I believe.

Why are you so critical?

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
Then according to John 20:31 you are saved. No argument.

Do you believe that based on being saved, which means possessing eternal life, per John 5:24, do you believe that you shall never perish?
That's a very good question, my Brother!
When I believed as you, I found myself always second guessing my salvation. I always wondered..."Do I believe enough to be saved?"... And when I turned 18...and left home, I didn't attend Church again until I was 21..and that was only because I was made to go. And that one time...,sparked my interest in the existence of God.

I was in Marine boot camp.... and they made us go to church on Sunday. Believe it or not..Marine Boot Camp is very stressful. It's So stressful, it caused some people to commit suicide before graduation.
Well,...when someone was brave enough to ask a Drill Instructor, 'Why do we have to go?", he gave this answer, "We have discovered that it has a calming effect on the recruits and it has brought the rate of suicide down to almost zero".

They only made us go the one time...but I can tell you this, nobody in my platoon missed another Sunday service, except one, until after we graduated. Most of us skipped the second Sunday, not realizing just how powerful, and needed,... that calming feeling actually was....even the atheists attended. Those services were covered up in Gods Grace...especially when we would sing praises to God. Five or six hundred young Marines singing in harmony...just beautiful...and the joy we were filled with would last for days!!

None of understood it...But we all loved those services!! You see...even though I believed I was saved...I actually became an Agnostic after I left home, because I simply didn't have any proof that I was saved.
Twenty years later...I got my proof! And (1 John) confirmed it!!
I'm a bit confused about al those church services and how they led to your believing that you were secure.

I wished you had cited the verse in 1 John that confirmed your security.

Jan 31, 2021
FreeGrace2 said:
You should read 1 John 1:8 and 10.

I have. And I've never seen any teaching about achieving sinless perfection.
You will see it, if you can honestly answer the following questions. In (John 8:34)...Why does the Son have Eternal Life? And why is the slave...a slave of sin?
John 8:34 -
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

I don't see any connection between sinless perfection and this verse.

Paul explained that believers face an on-going choice in their lives:

Romans 6-
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.
13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.
14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

These verses show the choice every believer has. And v.14 is a command.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means!
16 Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

And this is the choice. When we "offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves".

And John offers the solution to sin, since we WILL sin-
8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

The solution to sin, which breaks fellowship (harmony) with the Lord is to confess that sin. We are then cleansed and purified and back in fellowship.

vb.8 and 10 are very clear that no one is sinless in this life.

Then John wrote this:
2:1 - My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have an advocate with the Father—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.

Feb 24, 2022
FreeGrace2 said:
Nope. I didn't forget that. And I didn't state EVERY truth in Scripture.

Why are you soooooo critical of everything I post?

Everything I post is as clear as can be communicated. Why are you reading my posts with such hostility?

When I post on forums, I am posting about the Word of God. And I show what I believe with the Scripture that says what I believe.

Why are you so critical?
Alright, my bad, I'm sorry, man. Forgot my manners. I just lost patience very quickly when you keep repeating the same thing. Once is a post, twice is a reminder, three times it's lecturing.

Aug 3, 2019
Is the following commandment a moral commandment or a ceremonial law?

Exodus 22:22
You shall not oppress any widow or orphan.
Moral...because it falls under the Second of the Two Commandments which is "Thou shalt love thy neighbor" under which is "do not steal, do not lie, do not kill" which things oppress widows and orphans who were more vulnerable to exploitation in Biblical times.

Jesus gave us commandments and some were new commandments.
Jesus gave us no "new" Moral commandments -- "Love God with all your heart" and "Love thy neighbor" are both OT commandments found in Deuteronomy and Leviticus.

The were "new" to the fleshly minded Jews of that time who needed to be enlightened concerning the Spirit of the Law, which if kept, always results in success in keeping the Letter (for a man who refuses to look upon another in lust will never end up in bed with his neighbor's wife). The Jews attempted to keep only the Letter of the Law, which result then is still the same today: failure.