Research: Majority of Americans Believe Works Are the Key to Salvation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 31, 2021
Luke 8:6 say it is possible the faith growth, ever believe than no longer believe or die
unless you not agree with Jesus
Sorry, but I don't have any idea what you are trying to say. Please slow down and rephrase this.

And while you are at it, find verses that clearly show that any of the 8 things in my list can be negated.

I dare you.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Sorry, but I don't have any idea what you are trying to say. Please slow down and rephrase this.

And while you are at it, find verses that clearly show that any of the 8 things in my list can be negated.

I dare you.
I give the clear verse Luke 8:6
it say faith may die like a plan growth for some time than die because not enough water
and all the verses in the Bible relate each other.
conclusion must involve all premises not only 8 verses

matt 24:13 must include in the premises

Jan 31, 2021
I give the clear verse Luke 8:6
You don't know what is clear.

But I have figured out why you stubbornly refuse to accept clear verses on eternal security. You have brought your opinionated emotions into it. You have showed it by the type of questions you ask. It is clear that certain behaviors are very offensive to you, and in your opinionated emotional state, you transfer that to God, and conclude that since YOU are that offended, then so must He be.

All you've done is LOWER God to YOUR level. That's never a good thing. You have humanized God.

God is so far above man it is incalculable.

it say faith may die like a plan growth for some time than die because not enough water
and all the verses in the Bible relate each other.
conclusion must involve all premises not only 8 verses
The 8 verses PROVE the changes that accompany salvation. If any of the 8 can be lost, along with salvation, there would be a verse saying so.

matt 24:13 must include in the premises
This verse has nothing to do with soul salvation and avoiding the LOF.

You will never understand Scripture so long as you keep lowering God to YOUR standards.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
All your verses is faith require, when faith die like plan die, than no salvation
you lower God standard

ever have faith mean only a second than atheist for the rest of one live is save
it is not bible say
endure to the end

prove to me Matt 24:13 not about salvation

whosoever believe save

you change into who ever believe even only a second and turn to atheist will be save

John146

Jan 13, 2016
All your verses is faith require, when faith die like plan die, than no salvation
you lower God standard

ever have faith mean only a second than atheist for the rest of one live is save
it is not bible say
endure to the end

whosoever believe save

you change into who ever believe even only a second and turn to atheist will be save
It's about survival, not the eternal salvation of the soul. If those days were not shortened, no one would survive, not even the elect. On must endure to the end.

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

Jan 31, 2021
you lower God standard
That's what you do.

Yes, your poor old emotions keep getting in the way of truth. Jesus said those who get eternal life shall never perish, and YET, you STILL reject what Jesus said.

it is not bible say
endure to the end
You don't understand what the Bible says.

I have. Several ways. Why haven't you been paying attention?

I showed what Jesus said about recipients of eternal life. They shall never perish. John 10:28
I showed what Jesus said about WHEN a person possesses eternal life. WHEN they become a believer. John 5:24

I showed that "having believed", the believer is sealed with the Holy Spirit, a deposit GUARANTEEING the believer's inheritance.

I showed from the context that Matt 24:13 is the 7 year tribulation.

whosoever believe save
Don't stop there. Those who believe POSSESS ETERNAL LIFE.
those who believe shall never perish.
Those who believe are sealed with the Holy Spirit, who GURANTEES their inheritance for the redemption.

Your hypothetical is stupid. No one does that. You're just desperate to hold on to your false doctrine.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
That's what you do.

Yes, your poor old emotions keep getting in the way of truth. Jesus said those who get eternal life shall never perish, and YET, you STILL reject what Jesus said.

You don't understand what the Bible says.

I have. Several ways. Why haven't you been paying attention?

I showed what Jesus said about recipients of eternal life. They shall never perish. John 10:28
I showed what Jesus said about WHEN a person possesses eternal life. WHEN they become a believer. John 5:24

I showed that "having believed", the believer is sealed with the Holy Spirit, a deposit GUARANTEEING the believer's inheritance.

I showed from the context that Matt 24:13 is the 7 year tribulation.

Don't stop there. Those who believe POSSESS ETERNAL LIFE.
those who believe shall never perish.
Those who believe are sealed with the Holy Spirit, who GURANTEES their inheritance for the redemption.

Your hypothetical is stupid. No one does that. You're just desperate to hold on to your false doctrine.
So you believe only being believer a second and that person still have 20 year before he die as atheist and save

i don’t understand why Stephen not deny any way his denial not make him unsave

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Oyou believe physical save?

for 2000 years no elect survive
if so Paul still alive today, Peter etc

did you ever hear Paul still alive today

Jan 31, 2021
So you believe only being believer a second and that person still have 20 year before he die as atheist and save
So I believe that Jesus said when a person believes, they possess eternal life, AND recipients of eternal life shall never perish.

Why don't you believe what Jesus said?

And why do you continue to give such stupid hypotheticals, that NO ONE does.

No one believes something for "a second".

i don’t understand why Stephen not deny any way his denial not make him unsave
Seems you don't understand a lot of things.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
So I believe that Jesus said when a person believes, they possess eternal life, AND recipients of eternal life shall never perish.

Why don't you believe what Jesus said?

And why do you continue to give such stupid hypotheticals, that NO ONE does.

No one believes something for "a second".

Seems you don't understand a lot of things.
your understanding are wrong

it doesn’t matter if any one believe a second or not but your definition if one ever believe, no limit time can be an hour or a second than being atheist for the rest of his live still save

must endure to the end of the live

if so why Jesus say if you deny Me I will deny you in front of the Father

if Jesus deny you, say I dont know him can you save?

Jan 31, 2021
your understanding are wrong
It is EASY to understand what Jesus said.

In John 5:24 He said that believers POSSESS (have) eternal life. No brainer
In John 10:28 He said that recipients of eternal life shall never perish. No brainer.

Since it is YOU who doesn't believe what Jesus said in these 2 verses, it is YOU who doesn't understand.

it doesn’t matter if any one believe a second or not but your definition if one ever believe, no limit time can be an hour or a second than being atheist for the rest of his live still save
You still don't understand or believe what Jesus said. That is where your hang-up is.

must endure to the end of the live
This is an addition to Scripture. The context is the 7 year tribulation, and Jesus NEVER said "end of life", as you wrongly do.

if so why Jesus say if you deny Me I will deny you in front of the Father
He was referring to an acknowledgement in front of His Father. While the believer will be in front of His Father, Jesus won't acknowledge him to His Father. This isn't difficult to grasp.

if Jesus deny you, say I dont know him can you save?
Since you don't undestand what it means by "denying you", it doesn't matter the answer because you don't even understand the premise.

You won't begin with the clear words of Jesus about eternal security. Instead, you mangle another verse, think that verse is about salvation, which it isn't, and then apply that false notion to the rest of Scripture.

You are therefore unteachable. There is no use or point in answering your questions because of this.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
You don't know what is clear.

But I have figured out why you stubbornly refuse to accept clear verses on eternal security. You have brought your opinionated emotions into it. You have showed it by the type of questions you ask. It is clear that certain behaviors are very offensive to you, and in your opinionated emotional state, you transfer that to God, and conclude that since YOU are that offended, then so must He be.

All you've done is LOWER God to YOUR level. That's never a good thing. You have humanized God.

God is so far above man it is incalculable.

The 8 verses PROVE the changes that accompany salvation. If any of the 8 can be lost, along with salvation, there would be a verse saying so.

This verse has nothing to do with soul salvation and avoiding the LOF.

You will never understand Scripture so long as you keep lowering God to YOUR standards.
deny Jesus nothing to do with salvation?

if repent before die yes

not repent mean Jesus will say in front of His Father

” Father I don’t know him”

that person will go to hell

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I am not perfect but I not use my emotion when read the bible
i try use all premise in the Bible before make conclusion

for example
for salvation need faith

for salvation need endurance

than it mean

for salvation need faith and endure in the faith to the end of your live

if you have vested interest to make it for sinner like me go to heaven than I will ignore or twist Matt 24:13
endure mean stay physically life to the second coming

in this definition no apostle endure

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Yes, but only for those who NEVER believed in the first place.
did Janus say “ for those who never believe deny me wii make you lose you salvation but not for those who ever believe”

how people who never believe lose they salvation, they never have salvation

losing something only if one ever have something

you add the word

Jun 28, 2022
basically you fail to understand my answer
i keep answer and your Say I am not address those verse
all those promise are conditional if you obey

that show in verse 8

not know and not obey will punish

ex obey is no obey

say you always drive 55 but today you speeding to 85

the aw say you are speeding and violate the law

than police pull you than you say I am ex obey

police say not now this type ticket see you in court
I agree with FreeGrace2. Your grammar and poor grasp of English make your posts difficult to follow.

I browsed a forum not long ago where a member with the same issue would post a Bible question with, ''can you say me it?''

Was that you?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I agree with FreeGrace2. Your grammar and poor grasp of English make your posts difficult to follow.

I browsed a forum not long ago where a member with the same issue would post a Bible question with, ''can you say me it?''

Was that you?
I apologize for your inconvenient, if you tell me what part you don’t understand let me know

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my Works. (James 2:18) Why does James tell us, "I will show you my faith,...by my Works"?
Because we show our faith by our works. If someone merely says-claims they have faith, but lack resulting evidential works, then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14)

And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every man, according to their works.
(Revelation 20:13)
Why does God judge us according to our Works?
For believers, our works will determine rewards and loss of rewards at the judgment seat of Christ. (1 Corinthians 3:11-15) For unbelievers, the lost dead, it may very well determine their degree of punishment in hell. Matthew 23:14 - Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayers. Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.

Even as Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” (Galatians 3:6-7)
Abrahams believed God, but why was his Faith, credited to him as Righteousness?
Because he believed God. (Genesis 15:6) Romans 4:2 - For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. 3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it (faith, not works) was accounted to him for righteousness.

You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless?
Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?
You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
(James 2:20-24)
Does our faith need to be credited as righteousness?
In James 2:20, "faith without works is dead" does not mean that faith is dead until it produces works and then it becomes a living faith or that works are the source of life in faith. That's like saying a tree is dead until it produces fruit and then it becomes a living tree and the fruit is the source of life in the tree. James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead. Again, if someone merely says-claims they have faith, but lack resulting evidential works, then they demonstrate that they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14)

In James 2:21, notice closely that James does not say that Abraham's work of offering up Isaac resulted in God's accounting Abraham as righteous. The accounting of Abraham's faith as righteousness was made in Genesis 15:6, many years before his work of offering up Isaac recorded in Genesis 22. The work of Abraham did not have some kind of intrinsic merit to account him as righteous, but it showed or manifested the genuineness of his faith. This is the "sense" in which Abraham was "justified by works." He was shown to be righteous.

In James 2:22, faith made perfect or complete by works means bring to maturity, carry to the end, to complete like love in 1 John 4:18. It doesn't mean that Abraham was finally saved based on merits of his works after he offered up Isaac on the altar in Genesis 22. When Abraham performed the good work in Genesis 22; he fulfilled the expectations created by the pronouncement of his faith in Genesis 15:6.

In James 2:23, the scripture was fulfilled in vindicating or demonstrating that Abraham believed God and was accounted as righteous. Abraham was accounted as righteous based on his faith (Genesis 15:6) not his works (Romans 4:2-3) long before he offered up Isaac on the altar in Genesis 22.

In James 2:24, James is not using the word "justified" here to mean "accounted as righteous" but is shown to be righteous. James is discussing the evidence of faith (says-claims to have faith but has no works/I will show you my faith by my works - James 2:14-18) and not the initial act of being accounted as righteous with God. (Romans 4:2-3) Works bear out the justification that already came by faith.

In the Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, the Greek word for justified "dikaioo" #1344 is:

1. to render righteous or such he ought to be
2. to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered
3. to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

In Matthew 12:37, we read - "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." This is because our words (and our works) reveal the condition of our hearts. Words/works are evidences for, or against a man being in a state of righteousness.

God is said to have been justified by those who were baptized by John the Baptist (Luke 7:29). This act pronounced or declared God to be righteous. It did not make him righteous. The basis or ground for the pronouncement was the fact that God IS righteous. Notice that the NIV reads, "acknowledged that God's way was right.." The ESV reads, "they declared God just.." This is the sense in which God was "justified." He was shown to be righteous.

Matthew 11:19 "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax-gatherers and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified/vindicated/shown to be right by her deeds."

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Here are some of the shocking (to me) findings in the poll (2020) cited below...

"A majority of Americans, a new survey finds, no longer believe that Jesus Christ is the way to eternal salvation. Faith (generally) and good works, they say, will do the trick "

"Equally as startling, it was found that a majority of people who describe themselves as Christian (52%) believe that a person can gain eternal salvation by “being or doing good.” That includes close to half of all adults associated with Pentecostal (46%), mainline Protestant (44%), and evangelical (41%) churches. As expected, a much larger share of Catholics (70%) embrace that point of view."

This salvation-can-be-earned perspective, Barna says, fits well with other widely held views identified in the American Worldview Inventory 2020 that are at odds with biblical teaching.
Those have included:

• There is no absolute moral truth (58%)
• Basis of truth are factors or sources other than God (58%)
• Right/wrong determined by factors other than the Bible (77%)
• The Bible is not the authoritative and true word of God (59%)
• People are basically good (69%)

"“If you look at some of the dominant elements in the American mind and heart today, as illuminated by the Inventory, most people believe that the purpose of life is feeling good about yourself,” Barna says. “Most people contend that all faiths are of equal value, that entry into God’s eternal presence is determined by one’s personal means of choice and that there are no absolutes to guide or grow us morally.”

more at: https://outreachmagazine.com/resour...s-believe-works-are-the-key-to-salvation.html

No wonder this country is in the mess it's in.
the "copycat" syndrome is extremely powerful! how quickly & easy it is for people to follow someone else's beliefs because the person is famous & or popular or known in the local community. Jesus wants to be able to tell us something once & we believe Him. & if something doesn't require any work & sounds good, it's very easy to believe in. the truth is Ephesians chapter 2 verses 8,9, & 10 say it all! "for ye are SAVED BY GRACE thru faith & that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. AND NOT OF WORKS lest any man boast. for we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus unto good works which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them"!!!