Research to support traditional marriage

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I am working on my talking points when debating that traditional marriage as in God designed is healthier for the couple, the children and society.

Compared to nontraditional marriage as in anything within the LGBT crowd, polygamy, really really young child marriages, etc whatever else our sexual revolution culture is trying to normalize.

I like to use facts, studies, references and real life examples mixed in with my scriptures. So if you have any book, resource, article, or studies then please provide it. Thanks.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Is this going to be a public advertised debate in a forum of some sort? I ask because I'd advise if so that you be careful. When Christian florists, bakers, and B&B owners get death threats from the LGBTQTS crowd because those business owners won't accomodate non-traditional couples, tolerance isn't the virtue of the radical LGBTQTS crowd.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Is this going to be a public advertised debate in a forum of some sort? I ask because I'd advise if so that you be careful. When Christian florists, bakers, and B&B owners get death threats from the LGBTQTS crowd because those business owners won't accomodate non-traditional couples, tolerance isn't the virtue of the radical LGBTQTS crowd.
No this is simply just when I am talking to people in life. It is hard to have a argument against facts. When I talk about pro life issues. The facts usually leaves the pro choicers argument standing on its head because by facts alone I can show how ridiculous it is. One of my coworkers was speechless just by mentioning biology shows life begins at conception. Your only option after that is to deny science or take the radical approach and say the mom still has the choice to take the babies life. Forcing to admit that is a living being from conception to birth and to adulthood but also protecting the life of the elderly.

So I often do this with traditional marriage. Instead of just saying God calls it sin, I can start with the results that sin has created and then end with this is why so and so isnt God designed.

When people do not see the Bible as true or even logical. I find it better to start with a worldly connection that can bridge the gap to see the wisdom in scripture.

Of course some may still rebel. I had a friend from high school tell me he lost all his respect for me by me simply showing him pro life facts.

As for hate and death threats. My wife does worry about how much I speak on hard topics. Family get togethers are often quite exciting. My wife fears someone radical could find our address.

It's part of life. We cant let death threats stop us from speaking truth. We personally are always in a sheepdog mindset. Always trying to not be a easy target. Trained in shooting and done all we can in home defense. This is the risks of a Christian soldier. Better to fight now before all the odds are against us. Fight as in spiritually. My earthly weapons are only self defense or hunting food.

If we cower then the crowds will only see how affective their tactic is. But as scripture says, stand firm.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
this is really broad. maybe look up Pew Research Center to see if they have made any longitudinal studies on this one.
Otherwise as with all research there may be bias especially in comparison studies.

Often when people self-report they are not going to always feel comfortable disclosing personal or intimate details.

You are also going to have to sort out what 'tradtional marriage' entails, with statistics on households and property, inheritance etc since people can still live together without being married...except with defactos there are no property rights, not to mention how 'traditional marriage' often does end in divorce sonce divorce laws have changed.

It used to be unmarried couples children were all deemed illegitimate but that is a term not used much these days. But it might be interesting to see how illegitimate children have to overcome more obstacles than legitimate children do. In the Bible if one person is saved in marriage then their children are clean otherwise they would be unclean. Ideally both ought to be saved but its often the case there are many years before the other spouse gets saved.

I know many wives who are praying for their unsaved husbands and it is heartbreaking to have that division in the family.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I am working on my talking points when debating that traditional marriage as in God designed is healthier for the couple, the children and society.
You can do all the research you want, but nothing will convince the deranged Leftists and Feminists that anything other than traditional marriage is glorious. Who wants "healthier"? Seems like single mothers have also been glorified, while single dads are frowned upon.

No fault divorce would need to become illegal, and heavy fines for breaking up marriages would make people think twice. Imagine having to pay a fine of $100,000 (or $500,000) when you had absolutely no grounds for divorce! But it's not going to happen.

The problem is that there are many Christians (or nominal Christians) who think nothing of going for a divorce. And many young people can't be bothered with premarital counseling (of course they are all smarter than the adults). Or listening to wiser heads when it is obvious that their marriage will fail. At the same time probably many pastors can't be bothered with sitting down with prospective mates and getting down to nitty gritty issues, particularly the spiritual condition of those wanting to marry.

Did you read about the Church of England's recent position on marriage?
'The Church of England has stated that sex belongs only within heterosexual marriage, and that sex in gay or straight civil partnerships “falls short of God’s purpose for human beings”.'

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
You can do all the research you want, but nothing will convince the deranged Leftists and Feminists that anything other than traditional marriage is glorious. Who wants "healthier"? Seems like single mothers have also been glorified, while single dads are frowned upon.

No fault divorce would need to become illegal, and heavy fines for breaking up marriages would make people think twice. Imagine having to pay a fine of $100,000 (or $500,000) when you had absolutely no grounds for divorce! But it's not going to happen.

The problem is that there are many Christians (or nominal Christians) who think nothing of going for a divorce. And many young people can't be bothered with premarital counseling (of course they are all smarter than the adults). Or listening to wiser heads when it is obvious that their marriage will fail. At the same time probably many pastors can't be bothered with sitting down with prospective mates and getting down to nitty gritty issues, particularly the spiritual condition of those wanting to marry.

Did you read about the Church of England's recent position on marriage?
'The Church of England has stated that sex belongs only within heterosexual marriage, and that sex in gay or straight civil partnerships “falls short of God’s purpose for human beings”.'
We technically do know what will convince our opponents. It isnt healthy to believe nothing will convince them. That belief is what has caused authoritarian regimes to destroy freedom of speach, conscience, religion, petition, assembly, and the press.

As for the rest of your post, thanks good info.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
There is a good case for not being unequally yoked in the Bible, but many people refuse to listen to this advice. And there is evidence all around that inequality in marriage hurts people.

In fact, so much domestic violence happens because of this unequal yoking, where one person tries to control the other. You can look up divorce stats and crime rates and partner killings for that one.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
another is CYFS which has now been renamed. I dont know if you have a child protction agency in your country, but most of these children are born illegitimate that become state wards because their parents cant look after them, or take responisibility most actually coming from unmarried couples.

presidente

May 29, 2013

Compared to nontraditional marriage as in anything within the LGBT crowd, polygamy, really really young child marriages, etc whatever else our sexual revolution culture is trying to normalize.

I like to use facts, studies, references and real life examples mixed in with my scriptures. So if you have any book, resource, article, or studies then please provide it. Thanks.
Google scholar is a good tool to find academic research. Scholar.google.com. See if you can set it up to search a library you have access to that pays for academic databases. Some papers are free, though.

On virginity, Teachman 1990, Journal of Marriage and Family I think. Virgins and women who had only slept with their husband had a much lower rate of 'marital disruption.' This may not pan out in later studies which study a different landscape where a lot of people shack up.

I have run across pages that claim there is research that couples who regularly attend church have much lower divorce rates. That's on divorce.

I also believe there is some research out there showing lesbian couples have by far the highest rates of domestic violence. The American Family Association has some research on some of the negative things related to homosexuality, but left wingers, even academics, may not value the research very much.

I recall there was some twin research where if one twin identified as gay, the other twin had a much higher chance of identifying as gay than the regular population, but the odds were still against it as I recall. Mixed results on the born gay hypothesis i suppose. There could be genetics (or 'spiritual heredity) that disposes people to be disposed toward certain sins. Sins of the fathers maybe, if the children do not forsake them?

Old psychology research showed that homosexuals tended to be the type who wanted to do extreme things to get attention.

I recall James Dobson writing that homosexual men typically did not have affirmation by a father and eroticized male attention. Not sure the primary research on that. But Jordan Peterson is not really socially conservative on these issues, IMO, but he said something along the lines of without the lack of the affirmation of the father there was no explanation for male homosexuality, so it may be established in old research before such research became considered not politically correct.

L

Locoponydirtman

The CDC has a report out that is very damning of this move. Siting suicide rates, to educational performance. Basically children who have to endure same sex parents demographically do worse than any other group.

presidente

May 29, 2013
The CDC has a report out that is very damning of this move. Siting suicide rates, to educational performance. Basically children who have to endure same sex parents demographically do worse than any other group.
Thanks for sharing. Any pointers on how to find the report?

Feb 8, 2020
Midwest
Finding a link that doesn't place heavy blame on Christians and Church isn't easy. It will take some digging. I had to dig through 15 links before I found one that was even remotely helpful from a Christian medical site.

My advice, just use Google, Bing or some other search engine and be patient.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
inheritance laws only apply to children born from legally married parents. That much I know WHY it is important to marry. If couples do not marry and have children, their children will not inherit anything when they die.

now for some people this is no big deal but actually it has huge ramifcations for future generations. Almost certainly any offspring will be disdvantaged in life with no land, no home to call their own.

Apr 17, 2019

Although not a Christian, Dr. Laura Schlessinger has written extensively on marriage and views it as sacrosanct; her views of marriage also happen to mirror the Biblical assessment of marriage. As one with a Ph.D in human anatomy, she backs up her views with reasoning and statistics from a secular viewpoint. I am sure some of her many books could provide you with some spiritual ammunition. Thanks for taking on such a big issue in our culture.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Se
Although not a Christian, Dr. Laura Schlessinger has written extensively on marriage and views it as sacrosanct; her views of marriage also happen to mirror the Biblical assessment of marriage. As one with a Ph.D in human anatomy, she backs up her views with reasoning and statistics from a secular viewpoint. I am sure some of her many books could provide you with some spiritual ammunition. Thanks for taking on such a big issue in our culture.
Facts are facts even if it happens to come from a secular source. Great resource.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I have found Dennis Prager's series on the 10 commandments to be very helpful. The entire presentation takes an hour and is available here...
dennis prager 10 commandments
I listen to him often. Thanks.