Resisting Temptation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 29, 2023
Lead us not into TEMPTATION but deliver us from evil.
Yeah, some people think God is the One leading people in to temptation unless they pray and ask Him not to.

James 1:13 - Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

The other scriptures you posted do not tell us to pray and ask the Lord to get the devil off of us.

We have to take a stand, submit to God's Word, be unmovable with consistency resisting the devil, and he will flee.

Each time we do that we get stronger and the thing the devil is tempting us with becomes weaker and weaker in our thinking.

Ultimately we have free will and it's up to us to decide to not do whatever the devil is trying to get us to do.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Yeah, some people think God is the One leading people in to temptation unless they pray and ask Him not to.
God absolutely tests us continually in all sorts of ways
God led Jesus into the wilderness for the express purpose of being tempted by the devil.
God Himself doesn't tempt us, but He finds new ways to test our faith and rely on Him every day.

Matthew 4:1
New King James Version

Satan Tempts Jesus
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Temptation is ever present. I find it bizarre that you have such an issue with one of the basic tenets of our Christian walk, which is to pray to God before and during temptations.
pray and ask the Lord to get the devil off of us.
This is just a strange way to interpret anything I have said.

We don't pray to "get the devil off". Whatever that means.

There are 3 forces that assault us every day.
The Devil
Our flesh
The World

I have provided plenty of Scripture that says we should seek Him and rely on Him when those forces attack us through temptations.

I could be wrong, but I hope you are not in a roundabout way suggesting some form of sinless perfectionism.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
God led Jesus into the wilderness for the express purpose of being tempted by the devil.
God Himself doesn't tempt us, but He finds new ways to test our faith and rely on Him every day.

Matthew 4:1
New King James Version

Satan Tempts Jesus
4 Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.

Temptation is ever present. I find it bizarre that you have such an issue with one of the basic tenets of our Christian walk, which is to pray to God before and during temptations.

This is just a strange way to interpret anything I have said.

We don't pray to "get the devil off". Whatever that means.

There are 3 forces that assault us every day.
The Devil
Our flesh
The World

I have provided plenty of Scripture that says we should seek Him and rely on Him when those forces attack us through temptations.

I could be wrong, but I hope you are not in a roundabout way suggesting some form of sinless perfectionism.
Sometimes we won’t step into the light so we never understand the testing of faith that comes to make us mature

Dec 29, 2023
Not with evil He doesn't...

James 1:13
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

You and I are not Jesus.... He must be tempted so He can do what Adam should have done in the first place... NO SIN which Jesus accomplished as He did not given in to satan's temptations.

Hebrews 4:15
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

You don't cast down imagination and every high thing that
exalts itself against the knowledge of God? - 2 Corinthians 10:5

You don't do James 4:7?

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you

You don't do Ephesians 6:13-17?

Ephesians 6:13-17
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

James 1:14,15
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Where are we instructed to pay to the Lord.... "oh God, help me help me... the devil's after me again, help me help me!"

NO, we are to stand on God's promises and cast the devil out

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils

I'm saying we need to do what God's Word teaches when we are tempted.

No where doe we see scripture telling to to ask the Lord to get the devil off of us.

Paul tried that and it didn't work, later Paul learned about Mark 16:17, James 4:7, 2 Corinthians 10:5 which we see in the last part of the Book of Acts where the elderly Paul preached from his own rented house No Man Forbidding him to preach!

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Not with evil He doesn't...

James 1:13
Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

You and I are not Jesus.... He must be tempted so He can do what Adam should have done in the first place... NO SIN which Jesus accomplished as He did not given in to satan's temptations.

Hebrews 4:15
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

You don't cast down imagination and every high thing that
exalts itself against the knowledge of God? - 2 Corinthians 10:5

You don't do James 4:7?

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you

You don't do Ephesians 6:13-17?

Ephesians 6:13-17
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

James 1:14,15
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

Where are we instructed to pay to the Lord.... "oh God, help me help me... the devil's after me again, help me help me!"

NO, we are to stand on God's promises and cast the devil out

Mark 16:17
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils

I'm saying we need to do what God's Word teaches when we are tempted.

No where doe we see scripture telling to to ask the Lord to get the devil off of us.

Paul tried that and it didn't work, later Paul learned about Mark 16:17, James 4:7, 2 Corinthians 10:5 which we see in the last part of the Book of Acts where the elderly Paul preached from his own rented house No Man Forbidding him to preach!
Alrighty then.

Have a blessed evening.

Dec 29, 2023
I believe it's about how one interprets Scripture. It appears, in my opinion, that you and @PennEd has different views concerning what Scripture teaches on this matter.
Well, I am a veteran of the satanic wars fought over the control of my very soul starting years ago when I got saved off the street out doing drugs, and other dark fun and games I was involved in before getting saved.

I had to fight demons to be able to get my right mind back because before I got saved I was pretty much demonized and controlled by evil spirits and almost lost my life numerous times.

So over the years I have had no choice but to take God's Word literally and use it as an offense weapon (sword of the Spirit) to learn how to use God's Living Word to hurt demons when they would try and come at me. (Romans 16:20)

I've grown to the point now that the shield of the faith of Jesus Christ within me protected me from all of the devil's fiery darts and being skillful in the Word of God enables me to hurt devils and force them to leave using Jesus as the model to follow doing what He did which is speaking God's Word which devil cannot stand up to.

I have no fear of evil at all and it's something I learned out of necessity over a lot of years dealing with demonic forces and I've come to enjoy the fight anytime they want to come at me. Hebrews 1:3 tells us God is upholding all things by the word of his power, so standing unmovable on His Word is how one does not get defeated by the devil.

James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Well, I am a veteran of the satanic wars fought over the control of my very soul starting years ago when I got saved off the street out doing drugs, and other dark fun and games I was involved in before getting saved.

I had to fight demons to be able to get my right mind back because before I got saved I was pretty much demonized and controlled by evil spirits and almost lost my life numerous times.

So over the years I have had no choice but to take God's Word literally and use it as an offense weapon (sword of the Spirit) to learn how to use God's Living Word to hurt demons when they would try and come at me. (Romans 16:20)

I've grown to the point now that the shield of the faith of Jesus Christ within me protected me from all of the devil's fiery darts and being skillful in the Word of God enables me to hurt devils and force them to leave using Jesus as the model to follow doing what He did which is speaking God's Word which devil cannot stand up to.

I have no fear of evil at all and it's something I learned out of necessity over a lot of years dealing with demonic forces and I've come to enjoy the fight anytime they want to come at me. Hebrews 1:3 tells us God is upholding all things by the word of his power, so standing unmovable on His Word is how one does not get defeated by the devil.

James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
I am glad that our Lord Jesus has set you free.

Dec 29, 2023
I am glad that our Lord Jesus has set you free.
The downside of this is seeing things that could help others and they get upset if you try to share some stuff with therm from God's Word

Sometimes we gotta just walk away I guess.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
The downside of this is seeing things that could help others and they get upset if you try to share some stuff with therm from God's Word

Sometimes we gotta just walk away I guess.
That certainly can be a downside. I believe there can be strong differences of opinions with Scripture. Honestly I haven't read everything yet to be able to tell you if I agree with you or @PennEd or a bit of both. I would have to read first and then come to a conclusion based on my understanding of Scripture.