Respect

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

I once heard a pastor say that with regards to relationships , where there is no respect there is no relationship.Is this true?

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
I would say this is pretty accurate.

If you don't respect boundaries and one of them cheats or pushes the other too far, that's not a healthy relationship.
If you don't respect that they have their own likes and dislikes and you are bound and determined to change them and micro-manage them, that's not a healthy relationship.
If you don't respect that they have friends outside of your relationship and you forbid them from hanging out with their girls or their guys, that's not a healthy relationship.

I could keep going. Basically, I think a lack of respect stems from other issues: lack of self-control, pride, and jealousy just to name a few based on the examples I gave (in order).

It's definitely possible to work through it. We're all flawed. But if it's a constant issue of no respect, then I don't see that relationship being a very good one.

ETA: I'm speaking about the general "you", not you, Mooky. :)

M

Mooky

So once I have identified an unhealthy relationship, how do I go about healing it or terminating it?

D

Donkeyfish07

So once I have identified an unhealthy relationship, how do I go about healing it or terminating it?
Healing a relationship when you've allowed yourself to be disrespected isn't easy. If it's a romantic relationship, you've already set the precedent for the behavior by allowing it, I think nipping it in the bud the instant it first comes up is the best way to go about it. I used to be too lenient with people and when I realized I didn't have a healthy level of self respect in the name of "making it work" or keeping the peace, I changed that mindset pretty quick......It was one of the healthiest choices I ever made.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cino

Well you definitely must respect each other, otherwise you are going to have trouble in the marriage. But respect is not enough either. If you have a Christian marriage, you must have faith to believe that God will hold you together and it is God's will for you to marry that person. Unbelievers don't have this faith, even if they have lots of respect.

H

hospitalpharmacist

Yes your pastor is right. You need trust and respect to build a relationship. This is the same at job too; if you don't have trust in you boss or the boss in you, it's better for both to stop the job cooperation.
Everyone is a sinner and all we have flaws but as we are all brothers and sisters in Christ we have to
support and forgive each other. No one has the right to denigrate another person neither cheats them or push them. We can advice someone and pray for them if we see they are wrong but we need to remember that God gives us free will so we can't force them to change.

J

JayyCeeLove93

I would also like to learn more, what if a marriage was destroyed because of disrespect and it was a marriage in Christ but one of the people stood in Christ tried to changed and the other abandons everything even Christ himself?

Oct 31, 2011
http://www.abigails.org/Workbook.pdf

This is a link to a wonderful workbook dealing with one person abusing another, exhibiting lack of respect. It is put out by the Olympia Union Gospel Mission. It gives wonderful biblical instructions on how to cope with it.